Reload this Page >

Copenhagen: Is it safe anyway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Kurtz

Is Copenhagen safe anywhere, anytime as they say?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Joe

My wife and I roamed all over Copehagen this last July with no problems. We excersized the usual "tourist in a big City" precautions, but never, once, experienced a problem, not even in Christiana (just don't take pictures without asking in Christiana). Delightful City.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Ben Haines

If Copenhagen were unsafe the consuls would tell us. They don't. Please see their advice for Denmark <BR> <BR>from Australia on http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice <BR>from Britain on http://193.114.50.10/travel and on http://www.fco.gov.uk/travel/countryadvice.asp <BR>from Canada on http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/menu-e.asp, under "Travel Reports" <BR>from France on http://www.dfae.diplomatie.fr/voyage...s/alphabet.asp <BR>from the USA on http://travel.state.gov, under "travel warnings" <BR>Some experienced American travellers find the American site over-cautious. It is therefor useful to check all five sites. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Escritora

Copenhagen was no problem for me (single woman), either, even when I was off without my friends and in the city alone at night. The locals do get a little testy if you attempt to exit a bus from the front rather than the rear, but that was the closest I came to even a hint of trouble there!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Kurtz

Thanks to "Joe", "Ben Haines" and "Escritora" for yours remarks.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:22 PM
hope

Copenhaven was no problem last September 2000, though I found it dirty (alas, a big city). Don't miss Christiania. We found the Resistance Museum fascinating, thanks to the young docents with a Danish spin on world events. Hamlet's castle was a nice day away, and I couldn't get to the Louisiana Museum but next time it is first on the list of Things to Do. Did get to Malmo on the ferry (a tax-free shopping trip for locals), another good day out.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Felicia

I loved Cophenhagen. I went by myself, a single female, and walked all over during the day and limited areas at night. I never felt unsafe. I had also just come from Stockholm and felt very safe there. <BR>Then I went to Hamburg and realized I never saw but one police car the entire time I was in Stockholm or CPH, but there were lots of them roaming around in Hamburg. I actually felt safer in CPH than in Hamburg. Perhaps there's a reason for not seeing many police??? <BR>You will absolutely love this city. It's extremely clean, the people are wonderfully helpful & there's a lot to do. <BR>Felicia

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Don

I agree with above advice--Copenhagen is very safe overall, and I personally have never felt threatened or "unsafe" in any way. Of course take usual precautions--I stayed away from the area behind the train station at night, went only with a group to Christiana, and only with a group in daylight to a GREAT Thai restaurant in "little Mogadishu" section. In the city centre, around tourist areas, you are in probably one of the safest big cities in the world. <BR> <BR> An anecdote: I asked my Danish friends once if their Queen ever shops along the upscale stores and boutiques along Stroget. "Of course" they replied. I asked if she had a lot of secret-service style agents around her to ensure her safety. "Of course not! This is Denmark!" Puzzled, I pressed for more information. "Our Queen" they said "has 1,000 citizens within earshot that would gladly assist her and see that no harm comes her way while she shops as an ordinary citizen." C'mon, really? "Well, she might have a few plainclothes bodyguards nearby, but it wouldn't be proper to appear to need so much security among other Danes." Wow. In a country known for baby prams parked outside of markets while parents shop, it didn't surprise me too much. <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Escritora

If you take Hope's advice above and visit Elsinor (Hamlet's castle), bear in mind that the Louisiana museum is enroute and you can do both in a day. There's a bus that runs from just outside the Louisiana right to the entrance to the castle (takes about 20 minutes). The art displayed in the museum itself isn't all that spectacular if you've seen some world-class collections of art, but the art on display on the grounds (lots of Calders, for example) and the grounds themselves are spectacular. A great day's outing: Go to Louisiana in the morning. Have lunch there (the food at the cafe is fresh and quite good)--ideally in one of the outdoor seating areas, if weather permits. Then take the bus to Elsinor (aim to get there by around 2:30, as it closes at 5 or 5:30). After you've toured the castle and walked around the grounds, get on the ferry and take it across the water to Sweden and back. The views of the castle from the water are just spectacular; make sure you save some film. From the ferry, it's a quick walk to the trains back to Copenhagen. Assuming you caught the 6:00 ferry over to Sweden and the 6:30 back, you ought to be seated for dinner in Copenhagen by around 8:30 after an utterly splendid day!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Joe

Kurtz: While "Elsinore" (it is actually Kronborg Castle or Slott) is a pretty Castle, even impressive from the outside. It's link to Shakespeare is very questionable (the tour guides and buses would like you to believe otherwise). While there was a Castle here in Hamlet's supposed time, Shakespeare never saw it. He may have learned of it's existence from traveling troubadours that traveled from Castle to Castle entertaining. In any event, Frederiksborg Slott is more impressive inside and out. If you have time, certainly do both. They are very close to Copenhagen.

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTT
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:16 PM

This appears to be a very old post that someone has topped.<BR><BR>There's a marked increase in dumb, low-end vandalism within the last two years, but there is very little crime in Copenhagen. There's an area adjacent (southwest)to the train station where there's a high concentration of sex shops and dark alleys that reportedly has a higher incidence of trouble than the rest of the city. And there are from time to time roving bands of beer drenched &quot;kids&quot; that will try and pick a pocket or a fight, but that's very rare.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:49 AM

While safety in smaller cities is often perceived to be much greater than larger ones, the stats often do not bear it out. For late 90s, Copenhagen's murder rate was second highest at well over 3 per 000 (3.6 I think) - only EU capital city with higher rate was Amsterdam at over 5 and average EU was 2.7. London was below that at 2.4 or thereabouts (albeit past 2 yrs has certainly seen UK rates increase). Big US cities considerably higher (New York around 9 for same period) and places like Pretoria are much higher -over 25 for same period. No idea of pick pockets etc, likely that bigger and more crowded cities will have higher rates, but I bet you 99% of people would have said the murder rate would have been a lot lower in Copenhagen than London. Sure unlikely to get murdered in Copenhagen - but check out recent death of US artist in London and see how perceptions can be created so easily. For info, Vienna had lowest murder rate at 1.6. Sure stats can be used in lots of ways, but perception is also not reality. The crap that I have heard sometimes from Australians for example (I am one) about how dangerous London is (unfortunately having increased truth) especially compared to Oz simply does not bear up to the facts.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 03:07 PM

I spent two weekends in Copenhagen a few years ago alone (as a 20-something female). I felt very safe even when walking around after dark. Most of the Scandavian countries are considered extremely safe. You just need to be sensible about being aware of your surroundings. I did have one well-dressed older man follow me one evening, but I was able to get lost in the crowd.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:17 PM

The reason I topped it was because I wanted to see if I would feel uncomfortable in Copenhagen being American. I know it is a safe city, my fear was more of where I am from.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:32 PM

Oh, I missed the point. Copenhagen is considered quite safe.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info and understanding the questions!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Is there strong antiamerican sentiment in Denmark now?
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Over the 2 weeks I have been here I have felt totally comfortable.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM

I am a 22 year old Canadian female and I spent 5 months living in Copenhagen by myself. Out of all the European cities, I felt the safest here - and I was wandering around by myself at all times of the day and night. I felt safer in Copenhagen than Canada! However, I shouldn't say it was all good: in the neighberhood of Norrebro (in Copenhagen), my friend was mugged one night when coming home from the bar - out of all areas of Copenhagen, this is probably the most &quot;unsavory&quot; (though still not bad, by any means). As for anti-American sentiment, all my closest friends while in Denmark where from the USA and I never saw them have any sort of problem the locals. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't have any problems at all in Copenhagen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -