Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen hotels - CabInn or Ansgar or somewhere else

May 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking for a budget hotel in Copenhagen for July - I know, good luck! I thought London was hard. Anyway,I guess I have it narrowed down to the Ansgar Hotel (650dkk ensuite with breakfast - about $123) or the CabInn (525 dkk ensuite, not including breakfast). These are for a single. Anyone stay at either one and care to comment. Or any other suggestions? A search on Copenhagen budget hotels brings up a few other suggestions but they all turn out to be over $150.
May 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM

My daughter and I just got back from Copenhagen two weeks ago and ran into the same problems with high price hotels. I had a reservation at both an Ibis and the Cab Inn but the night before we left happened upon the HOTEL MARITIME. I went on all the usual places like Orbitz and Expedia to get the best prices but then called the hotel directly and got the double room for a cheaper price than online-around $134 a night with breakfast. We loved the location as it is only a block away from Nyhaven canal area with all the great restaurants,close to the palace and Mermaid for sightseeing,etc. and a couple blocks from the Stroget shopping area.After going to the Tivoli area, I am really glad that we did not stay in that area. I love Copenhagen but the prices were ridiculous-$7 beers,$20-35 entrees at most of the restaurants we saw,etc. I think that I like the Euro countries better for eating and shopping. Have fun!
May 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask why you say you are glad you didn't stay in the Tivoli area? Unsafe? Really seedy? Or just not as nice as the area you did stay in? I am actually leaning towards staying in that area as I will probably be going to the train almost daily (I am going to Stockholm for two days in the middle of my week there, plus I want to visit the castles on another couple of days). So the convenience of being near the train in this particular case is appealing to me. But if the area is really horrible than I'd reconsider. So what do you think?

Anyone else? I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has stayed in eiter the CabInn or Ansgar.
May 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM

The area around the train station, as in a lot of places, is just kind of seedy. The sex shops and all. Copenhagen has a very low crime rate, and you'll have a LOT of daylight, so it's really not dangerous. The area around Nyhavn (Newhown) is just so much nicer. You will just enjoy leaving your hotel and walking in that area so much more than any place close to Tivoli or the train station. You can take the metro to the train station very easily. If you are close to or in Nyhavn, the metro stop AND major bus stop is right on the square, which is also where Stroget begins and the Magasin department store is located. The metro is very modern, very clean, and very safe.
May 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM

We stayed at a CabInn for 2 nights in 03. It was not near the city center. We did walk to the Tivoli area, but we love to walk and it didn't bother us. We also had a car.
There are multiple locations for the CabInns, I believe. We just need a clean quiet room with a shower. Who stays in the room when one is in Europe!!!!
Anyway, we found the CabInn to be quite adequate. It was very interesting to see how they squeeze a hotel for 2 people into such a small area. It truly is like being on a budget cruise ship. Well thought out engineering.
I do believe ours included b'fast. Can't remember, but I do remember eating down in their b'fast area in the AM, and I do remember the food being just fine and good selection.

I'd stay there again.
EK
May 27th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Isabel...I've been recommending the Ibsen Hotwl since staying there two years ago...marvelous hotel, managed and run by women! Spotless, nice rooms, elevator, excellent breeakfast buffet included...for single, should be around $140.
Nice part of town near the Norrebro Station...easy walk to the heart of the Stroget area...residential location. Excellent restaurant therein, La Rocca..my favorite funky eatery two blocks away, "Klimt" (named after the colorful artist).
Stu T.
May 28th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

ekellyga - There is a cabinn now near Tivoli, and actually it looks like a few blocks away from the train station so I'm hoping a slightly better neighoborhood. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I think I will book it.

crefloors - thanks for that info, it's what I was assuming was the case, but a few things I read (some of the posts were several years old though) made it sound worse.

I did look at the Ibsen but it's going to be $50 more a night and I'm not sure it's worth that much more. I really am just looking for safe, clean and convenient.

May 28th, 2006, 05:41 AM

isabel, enjoy your trip!
I got a kick out of the CabInn. Let's put it this way. When 2 of you are in the room, one person usually has to get on the bed for the other one to stand up and move into the bathroom.
For us, we use the room to sleep, and to use the bathroom. In that sense, it was great.