Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does AutoEurope Really match/beat a better price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our rental car in France, I looked at Nova RentaCar and AutoEurope. I downloaded the info from each and talked to my DH about it - cost, etc. Nova RentaCar comes out less expensive and as has been discussed includes insurance, but does have deductible. Our credit card (MC Plat.) does offer the CDW but we'd also have to buy theft insurance if we go with AutoEurope, but its included in Nova. DH thinks we should just go with Nova because of cost and the comparable vehicle was a little better - had hatchback, which makes luggage handling easier. I emailed AutoEurope to see if they'd meet/beat basic cost at least because I think then I could talk DH into AutoEurope since its had better reviews on these boards. However, this is now 1-1/2 days and no response from them. DH thinks its their tactic and that one will 'give up' and just book. A phone rep told me she cannot handle any inquiries that have been started 'on line'. Has anyone received a matching or better price from AutoEurope when compared with another rental co.? Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM
jay

Auto Europe is fantastic to use. Why not try calling them? 888-223-5555. I always call and usually get a slightly better deal. I don't know why.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Here's my latest experience with AutoEurope: I called them because for our auto rental in the Loire this coming July I found an automatic Mercedes-Benz auto from the same agency (Europecar) through Kemwell.

Since AutoEurope and Kemwell are "sister companies" I called AutoEurope about this. They not only confirmed that they do not offer this vehicle even though it is from the same location, and that they could not beat the price, but they made the reservation at Kemwell for me, also.

With the greatest of respect for you and your current relationship I do not quite understand why you are apparently capable of doing all the work making the reservations, doing the research, etc., but then the "dear" hubby apparently has to make the final decision...get real and get modern.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
ira

Hi on,

Call autoeurope, they will either beat the price or tell you why they can't.

>A phone rep told me she cannot handle any inquiries that have been started 'on line'.<

So tell her that this is a new inquiry. Your old one will expire.

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Last year, AutoEurope quoted me a price of about $1100 for a 7-passenger van rental in France. A friend did some legwork for me and got a price of about $700 from the Amex Platinum Card people. I faxed the $700 quote to AutoEurope, and they agreed to rent me the same van for the $700 price. So yes, they will meet or beat another price. I've been renting from them for more than a decade and have always been completely satisfied.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I recently booked a car for Ireland. Checked with Nova and AutoEurope. Nova was $110 less for the same car. I called AutoEurope and they beat the price by a few dollas.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone - appreciate them. Will wait a few more hours to see if they respond, then will call and try again. Intrepid1 - thanks for your response too, except that final remark whether deserved or not. I probably stated it wrong, but my DH doesn't have the decision to make, I'd just like to have something concrete on which to base a decision -- like at least prices that are somewhat equal. Again, thanks all.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM

because Auto europe usually rents through an agency like Avis or Hertz, I check several agencies.

Europcar is also good in some areas. The items included in Europcar's price often is attractive.

One thing I have found you have to watch out for is the cost of a second driver.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Another thing that AutoEurope offers is a FREE CELL phone- all you do is pay for incoming and outgoing calls....

They fed ex the phone to you a few days prior to travel and you fed ex it back to them after you get home..

This phone helped us immensely when we got lost in the Cotswolds trying to find a tiny BnB we had booked and it was starting to get dark outside...

Have been using AutoEurope and Kemwell for over 20 years..definitely AutoEurope will match prices..

CALL them directly-it always works best for me to talk to a person vs a computer...
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:39 AM
ira

>Another thing that AutoEurope offers is a FREE CELL phone- all you do is pay for incoming and outgoing calls....<

Unfortunately, they put a $500 hold on your credit card in case the phone is not returned.

I suggest checking out the $49 phone at www.mobalrental.com for emergency use.

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:50 AM

I called AutoEurope on Monday to see if they would match the price from another company ($300 difference). They emailed me back with in 30 minutes with a new quote for the lower price.

That said, it is now Friday and even though I went through the reservation process on Monday morning, I still only have a reservation request confirmation from them and NOT an actual rental confirmation.

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM

onthegogo--usually, but not always.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM

"A phone rep told me she cannot handle any inquiries that have been started 'on line'. "

Huh? I've done that dozens of times. Sometimes just with some preliminary planning, sometimes with actual confirmed reservations. There has never been any question about changing any of those items when I called a phone rep at Auto Europe. I have never confirmed an on line reservation with them, in fact, but have always done the confirmation by phone, usually with several changes, almost always for a better price than I had on the "on line" quote.

Are you sure you were told that? Sounds very strange to me.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM

I've rented from AutoEurope a couple times, and think there must be something unusual about the facts in this case because both times, after starting the process online and getting a quote by email, I have finished the process on the phone with them, also. I had a couple questions to ask or something, but they clearly have access to your records and the quote and will deal with phone calls for things that began online. After asking questions, I said I wanted to take the rental and gave them my credit card number and confirmed the reservation. They then emailed me the final document showing a firm reservation and payment.

I think the difference may be that it doesn't sound like any rental process was actually started in this case, or that onthegogo even got a personal email quote from Autoeurope since she just talked about downloading information from the web and emailing them to ask if they would beat another offer. YOu can just view Autoeurope's website and get a price estimate on the site, but if you don't fill out the form to get an actual quote from them by email, there aren't any records for them to look at, and no rental process has started.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Patrick -- "sounds strange" yes - I agree, but that's what happened - that is what the rep said to me. Cannot tell you why you got different service than I. She also said that the internet rates are not available by phone. She did tell me also to go back through the website to "beat the price" and give the info I had on the other rental co. and I would get a reply through email. I did find it on the website - of course not entitled that and buried under another heading. Anyway, 48 hours did go by without a response (the request to match had to be reviewed -- quote from the email (including the spelling error):

"have recieved your beat rate request.I sent the information to our president.You should here back from us with in 24-48 hours.
Best Regards,"

I did email again when no reply from them, and received back a couple of hours later a reply that they contacted the rental car co. and they would "meet" the rate. Don't know why they said president had to be involved.
Bottom line -- I did book the car.

What is strange, is that I am using AutoEurope because of all the good reports on Fodors that the customer service is good and would be if anything goes wrong - in the end we booked a car that is a 4 door, vs the 4 door + hatchback from Nova which is probably more convenient (both Citreons)for the same price. I hope the customer service comes through for us if we need it. (PS - Patrick, I'm just reporting what happened, don't take this experience with AutoEurope personally)! I know on our next trip, I'll be calling them instead of booking internet after reading your better service and price. Livvie - I did get the confirmation emailed to me - hope you have yours by now.

Thanks also for the info about the phone. Really looking forward to seeing France. Thanks again everyone for your responses.
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM

onthegogo, I did not mean to imply that that didn't happen to you, but merely mentioned that it seems strange. I suggest you call up AutoEurope and check again. I suspect you got somebody who didn't know what she was doing. Simply call them up and get a quote on the phone. If you have a better quote from someone else, ask them how to beat it. Pretty simple.
In any case, I refuse to believe that AutoEurope will refuse to give you a quote on the phone for any reason at all. Either you misunderstood this girl, or it was the first hour of her first day at work.
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM

You may want to check with National Car rental...National Citer in France. When I rented last year with them they were far lower than anyone else. And they have offices everywhere in France.

Just a suggestion.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM

I have asked AutoEurope to match a quote from another company, and they did. I did this over the phone, and the rep I was speaking to told me he had to check with someone, but when he got back on the phone, the answer was yes.

Something else to consider: we always rent a small and inexpensive car from AutoEurope, and we always get an upgrade. I don't know if this is pure dumb luck, or what, but it has happened consistently for years.
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:07 PM

About upgrades - I just booked a car in the UK using Auto Europe. Some rates include a "guaranteed upgrade" that's clearly labelled in red. So, while the price quote and car description is an "economy", the rental confirmation has the code in the upgraded "compact" class. The agent they use for this case is Europcar.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Just an update. I did get my official confirmation from AutoEurope today. They matched the price. So I guess I'm all set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -