Paris hotel walking distances Monge or Beaubourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife, daughter, and I will be in Paris for the 1st time for 5 nights at the end of May. We have a short list of must-see's including the louvre and pompidou center. Of course we will take the metro, but we like to walk and would prefer to walk to as many places as possible.

We have a room at the Hotel Monge currently booked. After looking at the maps more closely, I see it is a bit further from the river than I first thought. I am having trouble grasping walking distances from these maps. Can anyone tell me how long (average pace) it might take to walk from Hotel Monge to say, Notre Dame, or even the Louvre? www.hotelmonge.com

I just found a different hotel on the edge of the Marais, Hotel Beaubourg. www.beaubourg-paris-hotel.com
It is slightly more money, but has a more central location. I wonder about the neighborhood though, if by being so close to the Pompidou center it might have more of a "downtown" feel.

We'd obviously like a central location, but not at the expense of a less-charming neiborhood. Thanks for any input.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I went to mappy.com, entered Place Monge and Notre-Dame, selected "Pedestrian" and hit "OK."

Mappy told me that it's 1km between the places, and takes 19 minutes to walk.

I don't walk much, because bus stops are ubiquitous, and riding is a great time-saver. I walk to savor the time.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I've walked from the Latin Quarter to both of those places numerous times, but since I tend to lose track of time while walking, I checked on www.pagesjaunes.fr and for both the walking time is 31 minutes. Since you like to walk and there's lots to see, this shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the neighborhood, the area around the Pompidou does not have a downtown feel. You are on the edge of the Marais, which is old and charming.

I like the area around the Hôtel Monge, but that's just a personal thing.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM

We stayed at the Beauborg about 5 years ago. We paid the average rate for a double and unfortunately were stuck in a room at the back of the hotel, down a separate corridor and elevator. I got the distinct impression it was a service elevator and a room where the staff would have stayed. It was tiny and without charm. They were full for the Christmas holidays and we did not have an option to change rooms. On the positive side, the staff was pleasant and the location for us was fine. It was almost across the street from the back of the Pompidou, on the fringe of the 4th. The water was also very hot, although the shower was so tiny that even I, at 5' had trouble fitting in. Would I stay there again, no.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Paris doesn't have a 'downtown'... the only thing close would be outside of Paris, at la Defense (skyscrapers, office buildings). The center of Paris has a 7-story building limit and a fairly consistent visual appeal (to the untrained eye)... there are pockets of 'villagey' neighborhoods sprinkled around, espec. in the less-central areas...
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, those websites are nice.

Well I guess that is what I meant... we'd prefer a more "villagy" or quaint neighborhood feel (but who wouldn't?!)

From the replies, I'm guessing the area around the hotel monge has a bit more of this vibe. I think we'll probably stay where we are.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Hi Drums. We stayed at the Monge some years ago and were very happy with both the hotel and the location. We also like to walk as much as we can and found the Monge location just fine for that.
Have fun
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Either location is fine, but I would choose Monge.