Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Copenhagen for the day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/copenhagen-for-the-day-695985/)

tms99 Apr 11th, 2007 11:18 AM

Copenhagen for the day

Ok, I think we've decided to fly into Copenhagen to begin our Germany/Switzerland trip. We arrive early in the morning and will wander around the city for the day, then hop on a train to Hamburg in the late afternoon.

Never been to Copenhagen. Any suggestions for good places to walk? We mostly want to just walk around, have lunch, i'll be taking some pictures, of course. I'd like to see the town more than see museums, etc, since we only have the day. Good places to eat would be helpful too (although we are vegetarian).

Thanks,
T.

Kate_W Apr 11th, 2007 11:32 AM

Nyhavn (the old harbour) is a nice place to have a drink and meal.

Although you said you didn't want to spend too much time in museums, I would recommend the Workers' Museum, which recreates a working class apartment, a city street etc - and tells the story of the working class in Denmark from about the 1850s onward. I recall that it was very close to (perhaps adjacent to) a nice park, which would be good for a stroll.

Erin464 Apr 12th, 2007 02:45 PM

Kate is right - go to Nyhavn, its absolutely beautiful! If you have time, go for a canal tour (the boats departs from Nyhavn and the tour goes for about an hour)- its a great way to see the city and the beatiful canals, get some history and background, AND you will get to see the famous "Little Mermaid" statue!

I would also recommend that from Nyhavn you walk a few blocks over to Amelienborg, which is the royal palace - if you're lucky maybe you will catch the changing of the guards!

Another great area to walk around in is Stroget, which is the pedestrian walking street. There are many fabulous shops as well as lots of little side streets to explore. You can go for a tour at Christianshavn Palace as well, which is within Stroget (depending on when the tours are - I'm not sure of the times). Stroget is a great place for sitting down for lunch and people watching! (There are TONS of restaurants and pubs in this area)

Another cool thing in Stroget is the round tower, which you can climb up (it has a ramp instead of stairs) and have a fantastic view of the whole city.

If you walk through all of Stroget, at the other end you will come out at Radhuspladsen, which is a large square across the street from Tivoli and the main train station.

So my suggestion IS: If you are arriving at the airport in COpenhagen, take the train in to Kobenhavn H, which is the main train station. Go out the main doors and Tivoli is right across the street (you probably won't have time to go in). Go past Tivoli and cross the street and you are at Radhuspladsen and then Stroget. Walk through Stroget and you reach Kongens Nyhavn (another big square) - Nyhavn is on the other side of this square.

Wow, this has turned into quite the long post. I hope it makes some sense and gives you some suggestions! Have fun in COpenhagen - its an absolutely BEAUTIFUL city and extremely walkable!

ira Apr 12th, 2007 03:04 PM

Hi tm,

>We arrive early in the morning and will wander around the city for the day, then hop on a train to Hamburg in the late afternoon. <

That is very sad.

You will miss Tivoli Gardens at night.

Can't you overnight in Copenhagen? It's a lot nicer than Hamburg.

((I))

tms99 Apr 12th, 2007 04:27 PM

Wow...thanks. Sounds like a perfect day. I will bring that itinerary with me and try to follow it. Thank you!

Unfortunately, we really have to be in Hamburg the next morning and we can't afford hotels, so we would be too tired to take a very late train (after midnight) and not really get a good night's sleep after a long plane ride. But if anything changes, I will keep Tivoli in mind.

T.

tms99 Apr 12th, 2007 04:27 PM

PS-do most people speak English there, or should I write down some key Danish phrases? I will try to learn a few anyway.

Erin464 Apr 12th, 2007 05:25 PM

I lived there for six months and the only Danish I know is "tak" (thanks), "skol" (cheers), and ol (beer)...you will be fine with Engish!

tms99 Apr 12th, 2007 08:15 PM

Would anyone know of a decent hotel for under $100/night in the area? I think it might be nice to be able to relax after the long flight and walking around the city all day.

Is there a tourist office in the airport or train station to ask about cheap hotels??

WillTravel Apr 12th, 2007 09:03 PM

I don't think there's such a thing as an actually cheap hotel in Copenhagen. Are you there just for one night? We found a very good rate at the Best Western Hebron, because we are staying 3 nights for the price of 2. Otherwise, at $100 USD per night, you will definitely be having to share a bathroom. Try this site: http://www.woco.dk
Accommodation Loeven appears about the cheapest. The B&Bs on that site might be appealing. CabInn is often recommended, but it's not what I'd consider cheap.

A few years ago, I used Priceline and got a very good deal. That's another option to consider, but if your budget is $100 USD per night total, that probably won't work.

RizRaz is recommended as a budget choice for vegetarians, although I didn't eat there.

Erin464 Apr 13th, 2007 07:03 AM

Try the Cab Inn City. It is about a block away from Tivoli and the main train station, and I think its about $130 Canadian a night. Its nothing special (the room my mom and sister stayed in had bunk beds) but you would have your own bathroom and tv, and it is pretty new and very clean...and breakfast is included. You are not likely to find anything similar for that price!

pilgrim Apr 13th, 2007 07:06 AM

I got the Marriott Copenhagen for
$95 on priceline, $117 with fees.
I'll be there in August.