today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 2 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 3 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 4 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 5 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 6 Which Aran Island??
- 7 New Years in France
- 8 Paris November 2017
- 9 Arezzo - how much time?
- 10 Spain or Portugal
- 11 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 12 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 13 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 14 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 15 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 16 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 17 9 day trip to France
- 18 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 19 2 week May trip with kids
- 20 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 21 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 22 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 23 Easter Week in Italy
- 24 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 25 Airport Transfer