Copenhagen & Stockholm accomodations

Jan 30th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen & Stockholm accomodations

We're planning a July trip. What neighborhoods should we look @? We like CHARM. For those of you who know Amsterdam. we loved your advice to stay in the Jordaan @ a charming little canal house. It was a 10! We don't want to be in the busy/busy business areas. We also like small, as opposed to big. And would you recommend beginning in 1 city or the other? Any thought are appreciated, because I always get great advice from my fellow Fodorites!
Jan 30th, 2006, 12:16 PM

CAUTION: Gross generalization: I don't think there's anything particularly charming about the neighborhoods in Copenhagen. They all have a bland, low-lying housing project style apartment look to them.

Having said that, I love Copenhagen and you might like Nyhavn 41. It's small and in the Nyhavn district of Copenhagen. Beamed ceilings, overlooking the harbour, a great restaurant . . .

I'd do Copenhagen last . . . if for no other reason to have a shorter flight on the return to the US.
Feb 24th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Hey Snoopy, we did decide to do Copenhagen last, because of the shorter flight home. It came to the conclusion that - either way - it's going to be a great trip.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:00 AM

In Stockholm the place wit good ambience would be Gamla Stan, the old town. Walking distance from the main station and centre of town, a short trip on the metro - one station. Touristy during the day , lots of bars and restaurants.

I stayed at Hotel Rica Gamla Stan which was clean and friendly and great breakfast. I had a last minute deal which was a bargain. My room was tiny but had all the features i needed.

In Copenhagen I guess near Nyhavn or Christianshavn has the best ambience. My personal preference was for Stockholm - prettier, more friendly and many interesting things to see and do - Do a canal tour in both places.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Just returned from Copenhagen on business, stayed at The Admiral Hotel and had a great meal there at SALT. Seemed to be a nice central location - I walked quite a bit - it was cold with lots of snow but I kept thinking how nice the area would be in the spring/summertime.