Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coolest, least humid region of France in summer

Feb 11th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

To me, summer in Paris is unbearable without A/C. But maybe I should get out of the city. What part of France is the coolest and least humid in the summer? Do summers get increasingly hot there as the months pass by? In other words, is August lots hotter than June? I am looking particularly at Tours, Bordeaux and Nice.

Since I am so "allergic" to hot weather, I'd love to do France in the off season, but unfortunately, since I'm a high school teacher, all my travel is done in the summer months.
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Try Bretagne, is very picturesque..Even in the summer is much cooler than Paris or South France.
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Yes, August is considerably hotter than June.

Bordeaux can be very humid in mid- to late summer.

Tours - I don't know, I don't like the place so always avoid it.

Nice probably has the advantage of breezes off the Medeterranean, but if there's a canicule like last summer, it won't be spared.

I would head to Brittany or Normandy, especially Brittany, somewhere along the coast, like Vannes maybe.
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:53 AM
rex

Actually, for the lowest temperatures, go south - - to the highest elevations of the Alps. The Queyras is a great region. Ditto Briancon, Chamonix, Annecy, Talloires.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks for posting this, crepes. I am wondering much the same.
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:55 AM

My vote is for Brittany.
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I don't think Paris is very hot or humid compared to much of the US, so don't find it a burden to go to Paris in the summer (I prefer it to where I live). What you really want is a little contradictory, I think, as the places with lowest humidity in France are higher temps, and vice versa. I think the lowest humidity is the Mediterranean climate, Provence, and Languedoc-Roussillon area near Pyrennes but they are much hotter than up north. Auvergne is area of mountains, volcanos, and does have lower humidity than Paris (as does Lyon) but it's not much cooler.

Southern France is hotter than Paris in August, so forget Nice (and it's not less humid). Brittany is just a little cooler but it's not less humid. July-Aug are hotter than June, but there's not a big difference between July-Aug; in some places July is hotter on avg than August, although I think July is also drier than Aug.

Statistically, Bordeaux, Alsace and Brittany are the most humid areas. I have a nice summary of climates and all these data by area and city in a report for the film industry. If you want to read it, it's at www.filmfrance.net/pdf/Chapitre_07.pdf

It's in French but a lot of charts.
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Hi

think about the Cevennes.
Warm, but very dry air in summer.

You can adjust temperature with altitude.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Choose alpine areas, even the high Pyrénées are cooler than lower elevation France even if farther south. But the direct sun can be brutal in the mountains.
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

OK, maybe "coolest" and "least humid" are contradictory terms. Thanks for pointing that out Christina. So I wonder which would be more comfortable, coolest or least humid? Obviously, I am not a student of weather - LOL!

So, let me ask this question again like this. What region of France would be the most pleasant during the summer months? Would that mean I should go for least humid?

StCirq - you say you dislike Tours and so avoid it. Please expound on this. Others had told me that would be a nice place to spend a month or two. What do you not like about it?
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Brittany on the shore will have a sea breeze. It's usually cool there and the breeze always helps.

The Alps would be another good choice. The higher, the cooler. We live in the California desert and go up the mountain behind us (or zip over to the beach) when it gets nasty hot.

No matter where you go in France, it will be pretty!

Anyplace on a seashore should have a breeze most of the time and be a bit cooler than inland. However, go inland even a mile or two and the temps go up.

Good luck.
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Britanny is cool, but it's humid - though probably not hot enough for the humidity to bother you.
I think this is why they don't make wine there, too much botrytis.The cider & calvador are wonderful compensation.
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:21 AM

crepes:

On the trips I've taken to the Loire Valley - and that's about eight in all, including when I used to take student groups there - I always found the traffic around Tours to be awful. It reminds me of Périgueux, with those icky industrial and commercial zones surrounding the city. When you do get into the interior of the town, it's not bad, but since my idea of going to the Loire is to enjoy the small towns and the scenery, Tours just got crossed off the list after a couple of visits.
My view may also possibly be colored by the fact that I came out of a movie theater there once to find a group of young men lifting my rental car to move it three inches forward so one of them could fit his motorycycle into the space.
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:33 AM

We're forgetting about Burgundy, which is generally on the cool side. However, I have to admit that it can get hot and humid if there's a bad heat wave.

I'd opt for Provence, perhaps up in the Lubéron or the mountainous area around Moustiers-Ste-Marie.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I would venture that the coolest part of France in the summer are the islands of St Pierre & Miquelon just off the south coast of Newfoundland.

What? Pedantic? Moi?

Dr D.
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM

I also thought of St Pierre but the OP also wanted to know about the least humid. Oops.

I daresay that the coolest and least humid district during July-August is the French Antarctic Territory. Dark though, and no TGV service just yet.

Aren't we a silly lot?