Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cool enough for leather jackets in evening in Venice??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are packing for our trip to Venice on Friday, and my husband is thinking of taking a leather jacket for early mornings and evenings. Will that be appropriate for the weather at that time? Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:38 AM

hi, the jacket sounds like a good idea - the weather is lovely right now, but chilly in the evenings and it could turn cold or damp while you're here. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:53 AM
ira

Hi barb,

How heavy is the jacket? He might be better off with a sweater and waterproof windbreaker.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Just got back and it is cool enough for a leather jacket in the evening.

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I just returned from Italy on Saturday and it was downright cold in Venice in the morning and evenings. I would take a jacket and some clothes to layer. But I agree with the other poster-- do you have something more lightweight?
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Hi. My cousin and I just visited Venezia and we all wore leather jackets. We were glad we had them and did not feel chilly at all.

I have adopted La Dolce Vita views on life and will report a trip overview soon.

XXX&OOO's
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
cmt

I was in Venice in early Oct. last year and found it really hot. I was comfortable with a short sleeved light cotton top, and a little too warm with a light long-sleeved linen shirt. I wore a light cottoen jacket early in the morning, but regretted it and went back to my hotel to drop it off so I wouldn't have to carry it around for hours.

So...I guess you should expect anything.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:03 PM
cmt

P.S. In the above post I meant that I wore those light tops WITHOUT a jacket over them. Even in the early morning and evening, a very light cotton jacket was more than I really needed to keep off the chill. My days in Venice were the hottest days of that trip, which included parts of Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna and the lakes area, in addition to Venice.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Barb57, I have spent a lot of time in Venice and the Veneto area and if I were your husband I would bring the leather jacket (have him wear it or at least take it on the plane). That area can go, in a matter of hours, from warm to bitterly cold. It is amazing. There can be sudden rainstorms, electrical storms (all very dramatic). You will have the Adriatic Sea and also very close to the Dolomite Mts. I was there on time with a three quarter lightweight type coat and didn't wear it at all. One day the weather changed and I could not stop shaking. It was terrible.