Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cooking classes in Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cooking-classes-in-provence-426196/)

favreaux Apr 27th, 2004 01:20 PM

cooking classes in Provence

Would anyone know and recommend afordable 1-5 day cooking classes in Province?

Underhill Apr 27th, 2004 02:06 PM

Depends on what you mean by affordable; in general, they're not inexpensive. Patricia Wells gives a class at her home in Provence, as do several other writers on cooking. There's a thread somewhere here on cooking classes in general that included a few in Provence, as I recall; a search might bring the names up.

llamalady Apr 27th, 2004 03:50 PM

The new issue of Food and Wine (May'04)
has an article on cooking school vacations that may help you.

"Affordable"? Well............

grandmere Apr 28th, 2004 06:56 AM

A foodie friend of mine recommended www.GeorgeanneBrennan.com to me; I know nothing about her other than that. The website looks good.

Singletail Apr 28th, 2004 07:10 AM

I'd be very interested in what you finally learn about this.

I apologize in behalf of the others who apparently assume that their own definition of "affordability" is automatically yours. Perhaps there is some jealousy involved as well.

Good luck.

Underhill Apr 28th, 2004 07:41 AM

Georgeann Brennan has written several cookbooks; the one I have--and use--is "The Cooking of Haute Provence." She happens to live in our area when she isn't in Provence and occasionally teaches classes for our gourmet supermarket.

SuzieC Apr 28th, 2004 07:45 AM

This Month's Travel & Leisure is doing a spread as well. And, the article is online.

There is a chef who teaches at her home, all I can remember is her last name is "Ange", but I cannot find a web site...

BevK Apr 28th, 2004 09:16 AM

We did a cooking class near Grasse (not sure if that qualifies as Provence)with Cooking With Friends and it was wonderful. It is held in Julia Child's house (we slept in her bedroom!) and we visited the Cannes market, a cheese cave, had lunch twice at Michelin starred restaurants and cooked and ate the best food I've ever eaten. Our afternoons and evenings were free to sightsee. The cost in Sept. 2000 was around $2,000 per person which included two meals a day and lodging for six nights. We had a family group of seven people and we all agreed it was the best vacation we have ever taken. There is a Cooking With Friends website if you'd like more information.

cigalechanta Apr 28th, 2004 11:32 AM

I have heard good things about the classes at the Hotel De La Mirande in Avignon. If you are looking for a certain part of Provence, go to google and type in cooking schools in Provence. There are dozens listed.

Underhill Apr 28th, 2004 07:59 PM

Grasse is indeed in Provence--I would think cooking where Julia Child lives would be a very special experience.