Cookbook suggestions for travelers

Jan 11th, 2004, 05:41 AM
jmw

Cookbook suggestions for travelers

Hi. I could sure use a couple of suggestions for the perfect cookbook gift for a passionate traveler. She loves France, especially. You know, something with authentic recipes and perhaps some vivid narration and great photographs of places and food? Any ideas? Thanks, J.

Jan 11th, 2004, 05:48 AM

There are almost always some fabulous large cookbooks with gorgeous pictures and authentic recipes on the bargain tables at Barnes & Noble and Borders.

I picked up "French, Delicious Cuisine Made Easy" (a coffee table sized book) about a month ago at Borders for $5.99.

Jan 11th, 2004, 05:50 AM

I like the "Beautiful Cookbook" series. It's part coffee table book, part cookbook. They have "Beautiful Cookbooks" for several countries and regions.
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:52 AM

I forgot to add that I received "Tuscany, the Beautiful Cookbook" as a gift several years ago and loved it so much I have bought 4 more on my own.
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:54 AM

There is a series called "------ Gastronomique" where ----- is the name of a region of France. They are published by Abbeville Publishing, gorgeous photography of food and locations.

I have Brittany, Normandy and Provence. Loire, Dordogne and Burgundy are also available. Give him (her) the Brittany book and hold out for the Creme de Chou-Fleur Iseult as a reward.
Jan 11th, 2004, 06:02 AM
jmw

You folks are great! Thanks. I'll check them out at Amazon right away!

Jan 11th, 2004, 06:30 AM

jmw, you can also try Jessica's Biscuit for cookbooks. The web address is:

http://www.ecookbooks.com/index.html
Jan 11th, 2004, 06:53 AM

As a slight twist you could have a look at Joanne Harris's "French Kitchen".

She's the lady who wrote, inter alia, "Chocolat", and this book is a good cookbook following her publishing style
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:33 AM

YOu can find several nice French cookbooks on amazon with the right search terms. I like ones that are a little more than cookbook and have photos and discussions of markets or special cafes. One I especially like is "The Paris Cafe Cookbook" by Daniel Young. That is pretty contemporary. It has recipes from 50 top cafes in Paris, along with photos and descriptions of the cafe. Some recipes it has are the onion soup and profiteroles from Brasserie Balzar, tarte tatin from Ls Fontaines, peach cake with sauce from Dame Tartine, pureed potatoes from Cafe Marly, mousse au chocolat from Brasserie Lutetia, onion tart from Brasserie St Louis en Ile, etc.
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:33 AM

The Food Lover's Guide series by Patricia Wells might be in order. They contain recipes but also suggestions for shopping while in Paris or France (depending on the book you choose). She also has a Bistro Cooking book.
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Re-jmsmith's suggestion I'll second. I have the series and refer to the recipes all the time and they list places to stay and eat. I've tried most of them and they are all winners. The other book I like is called, "Culinaria France."a huge book that is so informative about the foods in the different regions, explaining things like the difference between a bouchon and a bistro. The French blue cover has a photo of the magnificent Bresse chicken.
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Sorry , that's jssmith
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM
jmw

Yum, and thanks again. I've ordered a couple and will copy the rest for future reference. J.