Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Convicted of a felony, travel restrictions...?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:03 AM
xxx

I am from the US, and I was recently convicted of a class E felony (non-violent, not drug related). I just found out that I can't travel to Canada for the next 5 years (I live near the border). What about other countries? I did no jail time, if that makes any difference, and my lawyer and probation officer are being very vague in their answers.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:07 AM
MaryC

xxx, if your lawyer and probation officer can't give you the answers, no offense truly, but what makes you think we can?? Just curious.<BR><BR>Any of you lawyers out there can help?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:15 AM
xxx

...I was hoping that those in other countries were more familiar with their countries regulations on such matters. The best answer I got from my lawyer was that "each country's laws are different", and so, I've posted my question in a European forum...<BR><BR>...no offence taken.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:18 AM
hmm

you are from the US but spell offense, offence?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM
xxx

Thanks for the spelling correction,"hmm". Not as helpful as an answer to my question might have been, though.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:25 AM
MaryC

Oh, I see! I was seeing it more as a function of you LEAVING the States rather than ENTERING another country. I get it. Good question.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:29 AM
yyy

I know this is totally uncalled for, but I'm curious! If you feel like sharing (anonymously, of course!), what did you get convicted of? What exactly IS a class E felony??? I would contact the embassies of the countries to which you're interested in going before you head out to see what restrictions may be in place.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:37 AM
pam

Did you see "Sunday morning" this past weekend? If so, you watched a segment in which they talked about Canada and it's "arrival" policies. I can't believe you can't get in there...almost all of the hijackers from 911 did. Many of them broke the law while continuing to stay in Canada and still they were not ousted. Many finally made their way <BR>of course to the U.S.A. but it was made "crystal clear" that they have the most lax policies regarding immigration and flight arrivals.<BR>If you can be a convicted felon from Afghanistan and get into Canada (according to the show), why can't you be an American?<BR>Something's fishy here.<BR>Maybe the post?<BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:38 AM
alex

On my several trips to Toronto in the last year, I've never been asked by a Canadian immigration official if I've committed a crime. <BR>Why don't you contact the Canadian consulate and ask them about their policy.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:08 PM
xxx

What I know is, I can't *legally* enter Canada as a convicted felon. I did speak with the Canadian Consulate, this is how I know. I didn't see the Sunday morning show, so I don't know if the others got in with fake passports or what. I was just wondering, in general, what European countries I might be restricted from traveling to. I'm guessing any counry requiring a visa is out. I have no immediate plans to travel, but curious to know the extent of the damage I've done to any future travel.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:16 PM
John

One moment, please; "Sunday Morning" Tv shows are not reliable sources of information about entry into Canada, clearly, if you got the impression that "all the hijackers" lived here. That is simply not true and your willingness to believe it suggests that you didn't grasp that there were faults with both countries immigration policies, now being rapidly corrected by stricter laws on both sides of the border. Last week my family had to produce passports to exit and enter US and Canada.I suspect MR/MS xxx would be prevented from entering Canada just as a Canadian citizen in similar circumstances would be stopped going into the US if he told the truth or if the screening of ID was done.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:20 PM
moon

Duh...do you believe everything you see on tv? everything in the newspapers? I arrived into U.S. last week and customs guy didn't even ask for photo i.d.!! And you think you don't have a problem!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:29 PM
willy

Just a thought, and I do love those blah blah its a travel site postings ( as if politics, preferences, tolerance and suchforth have shag all to do with international travel), bur wasn't the whole point re Sept 11th that the people who resided in Canada didn't have criminal convictions? Surely this issue is that someone is actually admitting to their conviction as opposed to travelling on a false pp.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Sjoerd

As long as the US authorities will still issue a normal passport to you, and your crime was unrelated to the countries to which you want to travel, there is nothing to worry about. Just get your passport, get on a plane and you are welcome in Europe and most of the rest of the world.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:46 PM
anon

It is my understanding that a felon is not allowed a passport which would make it somewhat difficult to travel anywhere that required such a document. Canada does not require passport for US citizen.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Ira

Some countries in Europe will be so appreciative of your visit that they will do everything they can to help you stay for aslong as you want!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:56 PM
xxx3

Felons are allowed to apply for passports. It's up to the discretion of the local passport agency whether to grant them. I suppose it depends on their offense. A note of support and explanation from their probation officer wouldn't hurt.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Book Chick

I live about an hour's drive away from a major "port of entry" into Canada. Since 9/11, absolutely everyone who's entered or left via the tunnel or bridge has had to produce proof of citizenship, either with a passport, a birth certificate or a voter's registration. An old pal of mine from high school is working at the Customs Office there, and she furnished me with this info.<BR><BR>BC

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:22 PM
would be glad to

Felons are not allowed to own or posses a firearm and vote. They will not be able to get a passport for a time of supervised release and maybe never depending on stipulations of the court. Class E felonies cover a lot of nasty stuff, so will also depend on your crime. Very likely you will be denied a passport for life but that also depends on the state in which you were convicted. Can't believe your probation officer doesn't know the answer--they could certainly find out easy enough.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:02 PM
lena

OH MY GOODNESS, didn't anyone watch French Kiss?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -