Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Converter question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/converter-question-137417/)

Carrie Jul 8th, 2001 11:36 AM

Converter question

I just bought an adaptor/converter set for my upcomming trip to Europe rather than buying a dual voltage hair dryer and curling iron. I didn't realize that the set says it will convert 1600 watt appliances or under until I got it home. My hairdryer is 1850 watts. Will I be ok if I keep my hairdryer on low?

ttt Jul 8th, 2001 11:59 AM

Anyone?

z Jul 8th, 2001 12:12 PM

Depends on the wattage on the low setting. <BR> <BR>My bet is that regardless, you will burn it up and buy one of the European models that you will have for the rest ofyour life.

audrey Jul 8th, 2001 12:16 PM

Carrie, <BR> <BR>I'm no scientist but I wouldn't try it. The possibilities seem to be that you would either ruin your dryer or cause a fire (heaven forbid). If you are lucky, the dryer just wouldn't work. Besides, my personal experience is that, with a converter, the dryer puts out a lot less air. So, on low, you might be better off just having your companion blow on your head. Once, in Milan, I turned on my dryer and blew out all the power in our room. Point being that some places just don't have the power support our appliances anyway. <BR> <BR>Some hotels have dryers. I saw a post on here once that suggested buying a dryer over there, which I think I'll do myself next time. <BR> <BR>Audrey

Ed Jul 8th, 2001 01:18 PM

You may well be able to use your dryer with that transformer. But there's a significant risk it will ruin the transformer, the dryer, possibly blow the circuits for the room, and a fire is a more-than-a-bit possibility. <BR> <BR>WalMart, KMart (and many others) typically carry nice dual-voltage travel-size hair dryers for under $10. They'll take up less space than most home dryers and they work find on 240V. <BR> <BR>The curler is a bit more of a problem. You can carry the transformer for it, though it's a bit heavy ... and oversized. The curler probably needs only 85 watts, or thereabouts. As I recall, though, the next lower size of transformer is 50 Watts? I'm not sure what's in the market for dual-voltage curlers. If nothing, then it should be easy enough to buy a 240V version at your first stop. <BR> <BR>Some folks use the butane curlers. Julie has always used the travel-pack hot rollers (if I have that right) which work on both voltages I think. <BR> <BR>twenj

Linda Jul 8th, 2001 01:29 PM

First, I wouldn't try it, for all the reasons given above. <BR>Second, depending on how prepared you want to be, this is what I would do. Return the converter and get your money back. Then buy a dual-voltage hairdryer and a dual-voltage curling iron (or, as an alternative) butane. You can use them both at home when you return and will have them for later trips to anywhere else in the world. (Even if this is your first trip, I'll be it won't be the last.) Both dual-voltage dryers and curlers are available in many places, though you may have to look a bit for the curling iron.

Chris Jul 8th, 2001 08:30 PM

I found dual wattage hair dryers and curling irons in Walmart, bout $15 each (can't remember). <BR> <BR>I wouldn't try the converter, just make sure you have the plug adaptor.

Judy Jul 9th, 2001 04:53 AM

Is there anyplace in US that sells butane curling iron, execpt online?

Sherryl Jul 9th, 2001 05:43 PM

Conair makes both dual voltage curling iron & heat styling brush. Under $20 at Eckerd Drugs. Also I found a cordless curling brush by Conair that uses Thermacell cartridges. I'm not sure if that is the same as butane?? Anyway, I didn't like it much compared to the electric ones. Try Walgreens, too.

carrie Jul 9th, 2001 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the information! Although this may sound silly, I'm going to keep the converter & adaptor set for my curling iron and just buy another, smaller hairdryer. I know that sounds like alot to carry, but such is the price of beauty ;)

XXX Jul 9th, 2001 06:44 PM

I don't think you can take butane (compressed gas) on airplanes, can you?

hans Jul 10th, 2001 03:36 AM

The 1850 Watts would be when the dryer is on HIGH heat and the blower is on high speed. You would probably be safe using the blower on low temperature and a low speed setting. So Z's answer is correct.

jmac Jul 10th, 2001 06:21 AM

According to onsite sales, you can carry on butane cylinders, just not check them thru. Would definitely check with airline first.

Lisa Jul 10th, 2001 08:46 AM

Sorry--this is a follow-up question--when you get a dual voltage hair dryer, you still need an adapter, right? Do I need two diff't adapters for Sweden and England? Thanks!

Linda Jul 10th, 2001 11:23 AM

Yes, and yes. Sweden and the UK have different sockets.

Lori Ann Jul 10th, 2001 01:54 PM

I also would be concerned about carring butane curling iron to Europe. Most hotels these days provide hair dryers (somtime you have to ask for it a the desk). I finally broke down and bought a basic curling iron with a slide-on brush attachment in Germany for $10. <BR>It was so convenient. Why didn't I think of that sooner? Since my hair is on the shorter side, I was sorry I left my velcro rollers at home. <BR>One additional thing I took on our last trip was inflatable hangers. Hand washed stuffed dried very quickly on these. When deflated, they take very little room.