Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Converter confusion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/converter-confusion-383258/)

vms03 Dec 18th, 2003 12:49 PM

Converter confusion

Afternoon all,

I am so confused regarding charging batteries for my digital camera and cell phone. The converter I have used during previous trips warns not to use for electronics.Cameras, computers etc. This is first trip with my digital camera which uses a rechargeable battery. My cell phone came with 2 adapters, so I think I'm okay with that. Gee, I think it was easier with my old 35mm camera! Anyone else had this problem? Wonder if I should get a different converter....? Tia

janis Dec 18th, 2003 01:00 PM

The vast majority of chargers for most types of equipment are dual voltage. If yours is, all you need is the adaptor plug for the country(s) you are visiting.

If your charger isn't dual (unlikely) voltage you might think about getting a new one. Using a converter (transformer) can be a dicey thing - sometimes the charger will "fry" if the converter doesn't work properly.

isabel Dec 18th, 2003 01:02 PM

Do you have a battery charger that came with your digital camera? Most do have their own charger and as far as I know those are all dual currecny so all you will need is the plug adapater (the cheap little thing that lets you plug our shape prong into their shape outlet - these adapater can usually be found at any travel store, or even walmart, for less than $5). Look on the charger itself (or in the manual that came with it) to see if it says 110/220. Even if you have a charger that you bought seperately (I have one from radio shack that charges double A batteries) it may very well be dual currency. It's really quite easy. I've charged my digital camera batteries in many different European countries and only had to get the little plug adapters (which differ from country to country - for example there are different shape ones for Uk versus other norther european countries.

Keith Dec 18th, 2003 01:07 PM

I use double A batteries. Before going to London, I tried to research if it would be OK to use it with an adaptor and couldn't get any answers from the manufacturer.

So I tried it. It worked. Once. After the one charge the charger worked no more.

Fortunately double A bateries are easy to get in the UK.

Keith

Daisy54 Dec 18th, 2003 01:17 PM

I agree with Keith, use disposable batteries if you can while on vacation and save the recharging for home.

JonJon Dec 18th, 2003 02:20 PM

Well, I'm sorry but I disagree..if you have a charger and it handles voltage levels from 120 to 240 why not use it? It will be plainly marked on the charger and you won't need a converter..just a plug adaptor. Control your equipment rather than allowing it to control you.

vms03 Dec 18th, 2003 03:08 PM

Thank you all for your replies. After checking both chargers, I see that they are listed for 100-240V. The cell phone came with 2 adapters. Neither my camera or phone will use disposable batteries.I'm going to try the adapters and hope for the best. Not sure that I'll even take the old converter....what would I use it for? :)
Thanks again.

Viv