Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Convenient Central London Hotel Coming from Heathrow

Jul 9th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

We would like to stay at a 4 star hotel (under 100 GBP) in Central London that is easily accessible from Heathrow taking the train system...any suggestions?
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Will be hard to find 4* for that price in London, but this page may be of value to you:

http://www.londonby.com/accommod/4st...ter_london.htm
Jul 9th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

It seems like 4 Star on www.londontown.com and 4 Star on Expedia is much different! Anyone have a direct experience in thinking they got a 4 Star but really got a 3 Star?
Jul 9th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Try Priceline. We stayed in London in late May for $65US + taxes at the 4* Mayfair Intercontinental, easily accessible by tube.

Last year we stayed at the 4* Copthorne Tara in July for $75US, also easily accessible by tube.
Jul 9th, 2003, 10:28 AM

I think the only way you'll find a 4* at under 100gbp is to follow Kristi's advice & bid on Priceline. Go to biddingfortravel.com for list of hotels Priceline uses. If you want to take the Heathrow Express (train) it stops at Paddington station.
Jul 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM

If you will by any chance be traveling before September 11, 2003, the brand new Raddison Sussex is having an introductory special of 100GBP.

http://radisson.com/thesussex
Jul 9th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I certainly had no problem finding a number of 4* hotels in September (when are you going?)using londontown.com. I suggest you try to find the best deal you can that is cancelable without penalty, then continue to check lastminute.com and laterooms.com to see if you can do better as your travel date gets closer.
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:39 AM

I recommend The Regency in South Kensington.
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:56 AM

If you mean 4-official (gov't) stars, lucking out at Priceline would be the way to go.
Expedia stars or londontown.com stars, may not be the official rankings.

Hotels near the Piccadilly Tube line stops will be convenient, no changing required, so fewer stairs with luggage.
South Kensington would be a good option, as one example.
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:42 AM

iorioj,

I am going to london in october and will be staying at the millenium gloucester. This hotel is in south kensington. it's sister hotel the bailey's is right next door.

the tube stop gloucester rd is right across the street. and I mean right across the street.

the heathrow express comes into paddington, you then would to take the circle line to gloucester station. simple!

I found a really great rate for me, but it was a limited one time offer and no good for anyone else.

I have however, just checked londontown and they have doubles in september for about 84 pds (72 pds + vat).

if you are interested the link:

http://www.londontown.com/LondonHote...oucester_Hotel

also, check out the millenium baileys if the other is booked. I can't stress how central this hotel and how convienent this tube stop is. if you look at the map you will see.

from a friend, they say the area right around the hotel, has a market, pharmacy, shopping, lots of restuarants out the gazoo, and also if you get the standard room (no breakfast), to try dino's for full breakfast (4pds) right across the street.

I couldn't ask for more. The hotel has 2 class of rooms, standard, and club. the standard are smaller, well traveled and warn, but fine. if you have any problems, just let the desk know. they dont give anyone a hard time about switching (from tripadvisor). the club rooms are great from what I can tell and read.

I really would check this out!

See reviews at tripadvisor.com some good some not! and search here on it!

hope this helps!

erinb