Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Context Rome (Scala Reale) Gastronomic Walk, Taste of Italy Wine Walk, Roman Cuisine, Annotated Lunch, OR Runner's Tour?

Search

Context Rome (Scala Reale) Gastronomic Walk, Taste of Italy Wine Walk, Roman Cuisine, Annotated Lunch, OR Runner's Tour?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken any of these tours/walks with Context Rome? If so, could you provide a bit of detail, and give any advice on which we might want to choose? (We'll probably also take at least one other non-food tour, as well.)

And if anyone out there is a runner who'd be interested in a running tour, and will be in Rome in early October, I'd love to do the Runner's Tour of Rome (200 Euros for a group) with anyone else who's interested. It's a "private group" tour, which means, I assume, that Context Rome would set it up upon request.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I am going to piggyback on your thread, Lexma. We are also going to be in Rome in October and are interested in several of these tours/walks.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Ttt - I know there are folks out there who've taken a number of the Context Rome tours!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM

What dates are you thinking about? We will be in Rome Oct 4th-9th, so if the dates can work you can add 2 to the group.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Using the search box <Fant +Checchino>, I found two reviews of the Annotated Lunch: One person loved it, the other disliked it.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:39 AM

topping
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:31 AM

how fast do they run?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure, specifically, though it says a "leisurely pace." You can find the following description on Context Rome's website, under private tours. I'm hoping it would be similar to when I go running on vacation - lots of stops to enjoy the scenary, but enough running to make me feel like I've done something!

Context Rome: This two hour tour is in the company of a Context Rome staff person or docent who is also a runner. We will take in the sights on a leisurely-paced run through the city. Although lasting two hours (more or less), the idea is to mix touring with runnning by making numerous stops along the way. We begin at your hotel, therefore the exact itinerary varies. But in general, we will design a course that visits most major sites, with an eye towards those that are most exhilarating on a jog.
There will be frequent stops to visit sites, and your guide will be versed in the history and culture of city. (For those with a strong interest in the Ancient city, we will bring along an archeologist/runner as well.)
Since this is a private tour, we ask that you use the "Special Requests" box below to tell us a little about yourself and your interests, including your running habits (pace, training, intentions). This will help your guide to tailor the run accordingly,

latenighter, or anyone else, we'll be in Rome Oct. 5-10, so your times would work with mine (my hubby doesn't run). Email me at [email protected] to discuss, if you're interested in setting up a group. I assuming we'd divide up the 200 Euro fee by the number of persons who'd be on the run.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Hmmm, I actually planned to be in Paris from around September 30 for about a week. That means I could theoretically take a quick(?) detour to Rome. I would LOVE to do a running tour, but I'm concerned since at the moment, I'm more of a 12-minute miler. How soon do you need to book it? I haven't committed to my vacation dates yet......I'll check back with you in a bit.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

I haven't communicated with Context Rome yet, but I'd assume we have some time - I was thinking of contacting them about 4 months out. Just let me know. I agree, it would be great fun (ok, for a runner it would be great fun...)
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM

This is a naive question, perhaps, but how does a running tour take into account crossing the streets in Rome? It seems you would be breaking your stride on an almost constant basis, and I wouldn't consider it particularly safe to be running (rather than walking purposefully and with care) across those streets.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Good question to ask Context Rome! Guess it depends on where the running tour goes (and the description does say it's a leisurely tour).
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I have taken a ContextRome tour with three friends. It was money well spent in several ways. We chose to do the Colliseum, Forum and a couple of smaller venues in detail, as we had previously been to Rome and had only a cursury tour of these. If you tell Context what your hobbies and interests they can hook you up with an apropriate guide. Our guide was also an architect. The biggest advantages of hiring a private guide: 1-you skip the lines!!! 2-they can answer your specific questions much more thoroughly and thoughtfully. 3-you can focus on what really is of interst to you and be brief about the rest. 4-you are able to fit so much more into the time that you have available. 5- you are able to change plans "on foot" if you choose. My party of four was going to sign up for a $75 per person group tour (group of 30). For about the same money our Context tour was customized and paced to our liking.
All in all we were very satisfied.
Favorite travel tip: at any major museum or monument, book an appointment for entrance ahead of time (even if it's from a pay phone down the street) and glide past the two thousand touristas that are waiting in line.