Consolidated Airfare to Europe

Feb 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Consolidated Airfare to Europe

Are there conslidated airfares to Europe? (At this particular time, I'm flying to Copenhagen in late Aug.)

I always buy air tickets to Japan from Japanese travel agencies (in the US) who buy from consolidators. These airfares aren't available directly from airlines or online discounters.

I never seem to be able to find the same type of fare/tickets to Europe of So. America.

Feb 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I googled European consolidated airfare and got about 255,000 hits; I would start there until someone comes on with a recommendation.
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I know. I tried some of those sites, but they are regular fares. Consolidated airfares are hugely discounted.

Thanks anyway.

Feb 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM
ira

Hi M,

Have you looked at www.kayak.com and www.mobissimo.com?

Feb 14th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've been looking at kayak.com every day (and the fare keeps going up!)

Consolidators buy a block of seats from airlines at group discounts and they sell these seats to travel agencies. Usually, the ticket is available only by paper ticket (not e-ticket) and you have to wait for the ticket to arrive from the consoliator to the travel agency.

This is one of the Japanese travel agencies that sells consolidated fares/tickets. You can fly RT from SoCal to Tokyo for $300 (and I have.)
http://www.iace-usa.com/index_us.htm

In Japan, people buy discount tickets from these discounters. These companies also sell discounted business class tickets, which you can get for much less in Japan (e.g. one time my client paid $1200 from NRT-LAX while I had to pay $2000 here).

I also bought a consolidated ticket to Mexico many years ago. These travel agencies specialize in certain countries or regions and it's best if you speak the language of the country. They usually advertise in the ethnic community newspapers.

Feb 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM

The world has changed !
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
ira

Hi M,

Why are you buying a ticket through a TA, when you can get the same ticket for less directly from a consolidator or other broker?

The two links I gave you are search engines that have a database of hundreds of those folks, plus Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc, and the airlines.

If the rates are going up, it's because the cheaper tickets have been sold.

August is very high season in Europe.

Feb 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I still buy my tickets to Japan from these agencies because no one else can beat that price, even the airline itself. Those discounted fares/tickets aren't available from those online sources--these are usually from non-US airlines and NOT even available on the airlines' web sites. The ticket has a special booking code and sometimes isn't eligible to airline's mileage.

Most Americans pay a lot more for the tickets to Japan because they don't go to these specialized agencies.

The consolidators don't make these fares available directly to the public(I don't know if those "consolidators" are real consolidators because I can get the same fares from the airline's site).

I'm just trying to find if there's an agency/consolidator like that for Europe--maybe there isn't because Europeans don't seem to talk about it.

Feb 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM

The major US and European airlines have basically pushed out the consolidators in the Atlantic market by releasing cheap fares on their own websites.

The Pacific market is different. Many Asian airlines still rely on consolidators as brokers (and their network of TAs as retailers) to sell many of the tickets, with only the higher fares available on their own sites. US airlines will also do the same in the Pacific market.

As a result, my family still buy the consolidator fares to Hong Kong sometimes, depending on whether the airline is releasing those lower fares themselves. But Europe, it's all directly through the airlines.
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Obviously we are unable to help you so I suggest you look elsewhere.
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
JP

The best place to look for US-based consolidators is the Sunday NY Times travel section.
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan, thanks!

That's the answer I was looking for!!

Hong Kong used to be (still is?) the mecca for those discounted tickets. Some Japanese used to travel via Hong Kong to buy tickets there.

Virtually every Japanese leisure traveller buys air tickets from discounters (and package deals using these tickets are unbelievable--you see nothing like those hear). And these fares are fixed depending on the departure date and don't go up because you book a few days before departure. (I love it!)

Do you know if consoliators/brokers have been kicked out of So. America as well?

Feb 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

JP, thanks.

In fact, my friend, who constantly travels to 5 countries over 7 days on business, just suggested NY Times and LA Times classified section.

She's also suggesting I might want to wait to book because the airfare might go down, depending on how the DL-US Air deal plays out.