Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Considering Prague and Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/considering-prague-and-vienna-370752/)

PJK Oct 22nd, 2003 05:08 PM

Considering Prague and Vienna

I am thinking about going to Prague and Vienna this spring and would like a couple of basic pieces of information. Do both cities have easily manageable public transportation systems? Are both do-able without any knowledge of the language spoken? (I will, of course, learn a few phrases.) Is there any reason to fly into one versus the other? Does one have a better organized airport than the other? Any thoughts about which cities in that general part of the world that might be a better arrival/ departure city than one of those? Thanks

rex Oct 22nd, 2003 05:45 PM

Do both cities have easily manageable public transportation systems?

Vienna has a good underground subway that was a pleasure to use. We used the Prague subwau much less. It struck us as a walking city, though we walked a good deal in Vienna also.

Are both do-able without any knowledge of the language spoken? (I will, of course, learn a few phrases.)

If you have done okay in other large European cities with only English, you will do okay in both Vienna and Prague.

Is there any reason to fly into one versus the other? Does one have a better organized airport than the other?

I have never flown into Prague. Private driver transport (for our family of five) was pleasant and easy to get from Vienna airport into the city.

Any thoughts about which cities in that general part of the world that might be a better arrival/ departure city than one of those?

Consider Graz? Served from Stansted by RyanAir for only chicken feed, if flying into London saves you money, or appeals to your travel plans.

Best wishes,

Rex

PJK Oct 22nd, 2003 05:55 PM

Thanks for your response. I'll take all your information into consideration. PJK

LindaW Oct 22nd, 2003 09:13 PM

The subway system in Prague is not convenient to me. Unless you are going on a far trip, it is much easier to walk. Rex is right that Prague is a walking city. Vienna, on the other hand, has an excellent U-Bahn & light rail.

mp413 Oct 24th, 2003 12:34 PM

The Prague subway system is simple, easy to use, and very convenient, but as a tourist you will not need to rely on it heavily unless you're staying somewhere out of the center. There are 2 main areas tourists focus on, Staromestska (Old Town) and Mala Strana (Lesser Bank) and to some degree Hradcany with the Prague castle (this area is adjacent to Mala Strana). I know it sounds too complicated for many to venture into the tram networks in cities they don't know, but the trams in Prague are also excellent and very, very convenient for certain things (like getting up the hill to the castle). You use the same tickets for subways and trams, which makes it easier.
As for language, everyone in Prague speaks English these days. I'm 1/2 czech but don't speak it quite fluently, and in restaurants etc., while the waiters appreciate my effort, they always speak English to me anyway. The Prague airport is very small, so very easy to navigate. I don't even think it has more than one terminal. It just has 3 gates. Go to Prague and have fun.

elaine Oct 24th, 2003 01:43 PM

Hi
I'm helping to plan a family trip to both cities for this coming March.
I have a file on each city; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]

wondering Oct 24th, 2003 03:08 PM

we went to both cities last may. they are both very user friendly and mainly walkable. we walked the loop in Vienna twice and used the above ground trolley. we walked everywhere in prague.(only took the subway from the train station and it was easy) both cities have plenty of english speakers and prague had very reasonable food prices. we flew into vienna ( there is a bus that takes you into downtown to the hilton that runs every half hour) and three days later trained to prague on an eurostar. it was about 4 hours i think. very nice. you will be very happy both places. we did it this way because continental couldn't do it on the dates we needed any other way. i can't think that either way would be a major problem. after saying that i will say that if you want to ease your way into that part of the world i thought vienna was a bit more americanized which made visitng on jet lag better. we always take a hop on hop off tour bus the first day around a city when we travel if possible so we can sit back and relax and see the sights while we are getting over jet lag. i do not know if prague has one of these or not. might be something to think about.

PBT Oct 24th, 2003 04:14 PM

The public transportation between the airport and downtown Prague is not particularly good. At least that was my impression when I flew into Prague in December 1999. You will have to take a bus which takes you to a subway terminal several subway stops away from the downtown area. Taxi or limo service would be the preferred option.

The subway in Prague is a miniature version of the one in Moscow -- same trains and granite walls (minus the revolutionary frescos and sculptures).
I found it convenient when I had to use it.

When in Prague, consider taking a day trip to Karlovy Vary (a.k.a. Karlsbad), a stunningly picturesque resort town.

pjsparlor Aug 18th, 2006 06:21 PM

ttt

rex Aug 18th, 2006 06:41 PM

topping this three year old thread why?

fishskis Aug 19th, 2006 03:36 PM

Evidently, pjsparlor is a serial topper.