Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Conrad Hilton London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/conrad-hilton-london-257783/)

Bri Sep 13th, 2002 06:29 PM

Conrad Hilton London

Has anyone stayed at the Conrad Hilton in London? Is it too far from the normal tourist attractions, and is it as nice as it's web page looks?<BR><BR>Thanks

xxx Sep 16th, 2002 01:08 AM

ttt

Bri Sep 17th, 2002 05:43 PM

Has anyone stayed here? Did a search on it and nothing came up.

xxx Sep 29th, 2002 05:54 PM

ttt

janis Sep 29th, 2002 06:08 PM

Well it isn't the Conrad Hilton - it is the Conrad London. (Conrad hotels are an up scale division of Hilton hotels but don't have "Hilton" in the name.<BR><BR>It is in Chelsea Harbor which is very upscale development right on the Thames. It looks like a great place from the river (I haven't been inside). I would be concerned though because it is literally not walking distance to anything (except the river/marina). One would need to take taxis to get anywhere which would get expensive. But I guess if you can afford to stay there that isn't a big issue. But to not be within walking distance of a tube station would definitely put a crimp in things.

sandra Sep 29th, 2002 06:45 PM

I have stayed there and yes it is lovely and very shiny and new but it is in the middle of nowhere and the only way anywhere is Taxis. They are very expensive on a regular basis. I got a great deal thru Hilton and that is why we stayed there. However any saving on the room was eaten up on transport. I just got an email from hilton stating a low rate at the conrad , it's nice if you don;t mind the inconvience or god forbid are planning on driving yourslef in London

Burta Sep 30th, 2002 12:33 PM

I stayed there two years ago. Despite the warnings I received on this forum about the isolation of the hotel, we decided to stay there anyway. It was a lovely hotel with a great room and good service, but it is indeed in the "middle of nowhere". It is about a fifteen minute walk to the subway. The alternative is to take taxis everywhere and this gets very expensive. I wouldn't recommend it if there are alternatives, and in London there are hundreds of other hotels in better locations.

Bri Sep 30th, 2002 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. Have decided to take your advice and look elsewhere. Does anyone have any experience with the Hilton London Mews or the Paddington? I know these are American chains, but we get a price break there.This will be our first time staying in London, so do not want to be too far out. Thanks for everyones imput. No we are not planning on driving in London.<BR>

sandra Sep 30th, 2002 03:22 PM

can't speak for the other Hilton's but I also stayed at the Kensington Hilton as I got a huge price break. That too is in the middle of nowhere only break there is the tour bus hop on hop off thing stops in front other then that no way around.<BR><BR>I believe that the location of the paddington hilton is slightly better.

xxxxx Sep 30th, 2002 03:58 PM

We stayed at the Paddington Hilton in 1999 as part of a tour - it too is a long way from anywhere - there were two tube stations, but both were a good 15 minute walk.<BR>We also found the desk staff to be far from pleasant most of the time.

Bri Sep 30th, 2002 04:07 PM

Well Paddington is out!!!!!! Hilton <BR>London Mews anyone? Thanks.

Lesli Sep 30th, 2002 04:27 PM

Bri -<BR><BR>Just "topped" a thread re London Hilton which has a positive review of the Mews. If you text search "london and hilton" you'll get loads of info. Some mention the Green Park as being well-located.

Bri Oct 2nd, 2002 04:50 PM

Lesli, Thank you for topping the thread on the Hilton London Mews. Thanks to everyone. Have made reservations at the Hilton Mews. Now need to find a hotel in Edinburgh. If anyone can recomend one Please do. Thanks.