Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Connection time at CDG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/connection-time-at-cdg-221521/)

Deb15July Jan 4th, 2007 09:45 AM

Connection time at CDG

What is the minimum recommended connection time at Charles de Gaulle for flights from and to the US?

alanRow Jan 4th, 2007 10:02 AM

God only knows - some folk have done it in 45 minutes

alanRow Jan 4th, 2007 10:02 AM

Basically if you are through ticketed then anything seems to go

ira Jan 4th, 2007 10:04 AM

Hi Deb,

Although some folks have reported that 45 min (what AF feels is OK) was sufficient, I'd be very leery of anything under 90 min.

((I))

Deb15July Jan 4th, 2007 10:12 AM

Ira...90 minutes was my thought from reading other posts...I'm looking at 1 hr. 20 min for a flight from Rome to US thru CDG. The times are perfect, but I just don't want to short myself and miss the connnection.

janisj Jan 4th, 2007 05:13 PM

1 hr 30 mins is cutting it really close IMHO. But if it is all on 1 ticket it doesn't really matter since they will get you home somehow.

If it is two different bookings - I'd never go w/ less than 2.5 or 3 hours. And usually more . . . .

ira Jan 5th, 2007 04:22 AM

Hi deb,

You could make it with 80 min if,

Your plane from Rome arrives on time,
You land at the terminal and not way out in left field,
You fly into/out of CDG 2,
Your luggage isn't delayed.

Since you are likely to end up on the next flight, why not book it now?

((I))

Deb15July Jan 5th, 2007 07:16 AM

Well wouldn't you know it...I'll have to gamble some more as airfares have gone up since yesterday.

Christina Jan 5th, 2007 08:44 AM

If it's the same airline, I wouldn't hesitate to book a flight with a 1 hr 20 min transfer time. I've had them with only about 50-60 minutes and made them, I would consider that fine.

Deb15July Jan 5th, 2007 12:50 PM

What's the likelyhood of the same airline using CDG 1 and CDG 2?

rkkwan Jan 5th, 2007 12:54 PM

Not aware of any that uses both CDG1 and 2.

Christina Jan 5th, 2007 02:09 PM

I think airlines always use the same terminal. Terminal 2 is Air France, but some other foreign carriers also use it (like AA and Delta, Northwest, Air India, BA and lots mroe). Terminal 1 is some other foreign airlines and smaller ones. From the US, I think United and USAir use that terminal.

cccmoral Jan 5th, 2007 02:33 PM

Just got back from trip to Italy, I'd recommend that you allow at least 2 hrs. connection time in CDG. You have to fall in line twice: one for immigration and the other for security.
Also, they are doing some construction. We flew airfrance coming back and had to take a 10 min. shuttle ride to the plane after going through a terrible line from immigration to security.

crefloors Jan 5th, 2007 03:25 PM

If you had a 10 minute shuttle time to the plane, YOU were lucky!!!!! LOL My time was closer to 20 minutes. Security wasn't too bad but the bus ride made up for it. Deb15July, just try to allow as much time as you can. It can truly be a zoo sometimes.

Tuni01 Jan 5th, 2007 07:51 PM

it's funny you ask this as my husband and I just faced the same question today, Rome to CDG to US. One option was 1.20 hours. we decided we needed more time (2 reasons: we ran through CDG last spring trying to connect from Vienna and we made it and this trip my Mom will be with us. Also, the Delta rep said we should alow 2 hours in order to not be crazy. so, we'll be getting up early on our flight from Rome to CDG to US.

risab Jan 6th, 2007 04:43 AM

I've posted here a few months ago with a similar situation. I am flying Air France to and from Rome next month- I have a 90 minute connection outbound - connecting to another Air France and a 45 minute connection time on the return flight. Yep...I'm concerned so we're taking as much as we can in carry-on and packing minimal things along with toiletries in our checked bag in the event we don't get our luggage. My choices were limited because I was using a frequent flyer ticket and this was the only flight that I could get over my child's winter break. My daughter keeps wishing we'll miss our return flight and have time to spend in Paris.
Several years back we did make a 60 min. connection at CDG - it was still after 9/11 and security was pretty tight. I am trying not to get to "prestressed" over this.

bellairegirl Jan 6th, 2007 06:43 AM

We're in the same situation. My family and I (husband and 2 teenage sons) will be flying to Milan through CDG in March. We have a 1 hour and 20 minute window of time to make our connection. We booked the tickets before seeing all the posts about the trouble with making connections under 2 hours.

My question is this -- what is the best strategy for making our connection from terminal 2E to 2F. Can someone give us a detailed description of how to get to 2F (which signs to follow, etc)? I think I saw a post at some point about not taking a shuttle to the other terminal, but walking instead. Is this the best strategy? Thanks for any input.

If worse comes to worse, we'll just try to get on the next flight. I'm also trying not to "prestress" about this, but it would be nice if we at least have a "fighting chance" to make it!

rkkwan Jan 6th, 2007 06:51 AM

bellairegirl - Nice to see you posting again.

Your choices are

1) taking the shuttle to 2F and then clear immigration there;

2) go through immigration at 2E as if you're going into Paris. Once outside, just look for signs to 2F. It's a short walk, and should be well signed.

Either way, you'll need to reclear security at 2F.

I usually suggest walking (for those who can walk), as who knows when the shuttle will come and how bad the immigration line is at 2F. But sometimes the shuttle may be as fast.

bellairegirl Jan 6th, 2007 04:38 PM

Thanks, rkkwan! Your latest trip to Amalfi sounded amazing.

I think we might try to walk it to 2F. That's one good thing about traveling with teenagers -- they can take care of their own carry-ons and when they have to, they can move fast.

Deb15July Jan 9th, 2007 03:36 PM

Well I rolled the dice and ended up with shorter connnection times than I would like...both ways. Glad to see others mulling their options and trying to stay calm. Worse thing that could happen...miss a day of work and school. Of course I wouldn't be as happy to miss my flight to Europe! :-)

My shorter connection is on my return, but I have the reverse of the scenario above...I need to go from terminal 2F to 2E. Rkkwan...do your suggestions still apply, just in the opposite order?