Search

Prinzregent An Der Messe Hotel? Hotel for Munchen for one night with car

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prinzregent An Der Messe Hotel? Hotel for Munchen for one night with car

Hello,

I have a reservation for my husband and I at the Prinzregent an der Messe Hotel on May 17th for one night.
We will be arriving from Salzburg, checking-in and going to Munich city centre for a tour at 10 am at Marienplatz.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it ok to stay in this hotel (Riemer Strasse 350, 81829 Munich, Bavaria, Germany, 8.8 km from city centre), would it allow me to get at 10 am at Marienplatz ? We were thinking about leaving the car at the hotel, and get to the Marienplatz by public transportation. Do you think the location will allow us to do that? How long will it take. the hotel web page says
2) If we finally stay at that hotel, what would be the easiest way (and good benefit-cost alternative) to be at 10 am at the Marienplatz? Would it be better to check-in at the hotel, leave the bags and drive somewhere where we leave the car and take the metro? What would be the cost and the time we should allocate?
3) Do you think there are better hotel alternatives (desirable with the German flavor) closer to the centre of the city. Please, consider the parking cost.

Why we chose this hotel?
It is supposed to have the German flavor, plus it offers some nice details, such as fine bedding, sauna, rich breakfast (including salmon and bavarian specialties). We think we could get pampered for a very decent price (130 euros per night plus 12 euros parking or ...get a space for free outside the street -I don't know if that's possible-).

We still don't know whether we may be better off by getting closer to the city centre, and skip the German flavor and the pampering ... actually it is just one night, and there may be no time to get the benefits. However, we are afraid that the parking space at the center of the city may be too expensive. We also saw Splendid Dollman (closer, still not at the city centre) but more expensive (155 euros plus parking cost, I think around 20 euros, or almost free if you catch a parking space outside), Novotel Munchen City (no german flavor, but swimming pool, and closer to the city), Novotel Munchen Messe, etc.

Can you help us on giving us information how we could do? Either staying half way or staying at the centre of Munich, maybe leaving the car at good parking close to metro station that is not very expensive?

thanks for your help,
B
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Is there any web page where I can look for info on parking spaces and also another one for public transportation in Munchen?
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM

This looks like a nice hotel. It doesn't list AC so don't expect any. One site mentioned "climate control" which is probably heat. It is 4-5 blocks from the SBahn. I wouldn't drive into downtown Munich- I'd park the car around the hotel, walk to the SBahn, buy a 2 person day card, and use the SBahn to commute between the hotel and the Marienplatz. The day card is good for unlimited Ubahn, Sbahn, and bus rides in the Munich area for that day.

You would need to catch the SBahn by 9:30 AM to get to your meeting place at the Marionplatz by 10 AM. This is way before the hotel checkin time, but the room may be available earlier so you can try. The options are to leave the bags in the car and check in after your tour or check the bags at the hotel and pick them up on your way to the room when you return from the tour. At any rate, I would suggest leaving Salzburg by 6:30 AM to allow enough time to fritz with the hotel and obtain transport to the Marienplatz.

There are many other hotels between your hotel and the Marienplatz. Some are less expensive and many are more expensive. It all depends on what you want in a room. Room cost, AC, lift, non-smoking, cash only, breakfast included, parking costs, room size, hotel and room quality, location, how much time you will spend in the room, etc. Only you can decide what you want or need or can live with for one night.

It's too bad you will only have 1 night in Munich- there is much to see and do...Have a good trip...
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Try this

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/#www.mvv-...ome/index.html
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelforbeer!!!
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:31 AM

The location is not bad for someone arriving by car.

But when do you plan to leave Salzburg to be in Munich, at least at the hotel, by 9am??
You will still hit the morning rushhour on the A99 Munich beltway. Whatever your GPS tells you, add at least 30 minutes for possible delays.
If the weather is nice, and you feel like having a coffee, you can stop at Irschenberg exit on A8.
The McDonalds there has a McCafé and is probably one of the few fast food places with a terrace which has a panoramic view of 100kms of the Alps

The "look and feel" of staying in Riem will be more like in a "suburbanized" village than like staying in Munich proper. It is a very safe area, with a few pubs and restaurants in walking distance, but from an overall perspective just a little bit dull.
You can easily walk to Riem S-Bahn station - and you should not drive into Munich at that time, which is still rush hour. As the suburban trains are notoriously late, I would leave the hotel at 9am to be on the safe side.
Once you got the 2 day ticket which tfb mentioned, you can also use the bus from the station to your hotel if you don't feel like walking.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
I finally ended up staying at that hotel, it was really easy to get to Munchen downtown, and the hotel was nice and had a great breakfast.

THanks for your help
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback...