Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Connecting to DSL in rented apartment in Rome

Connecting to DSL in rented apartment in Rome

Oct 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Connecting to DSL in rented apartment in Rome

I have selected and apartment in rose that has a DSL connection for a computer but the agent could not give me information about how to use it. Doesn't my computer have to be configured for the ethernet connection? Does anyone have any idea if I will be able to connect to the internet if I just plug into the DSL connection with the cord I use in the US? (The apt does not have wireless?)

Thanks!
Oct 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Posted before I edited! "I have selected an apt in Rome.... (The apt does not have wireless.)
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM

You should be able to just plug in and it should work. You need to have DHCP enabled on the wired network interface. That's usually set by default so unless you have changed it, there should be no issue.

Paul
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Yes, when they mention a "DSL connection" what is actually meant in almost all cases is that they have an ethernet jack at you disposal. You don't need to know whether this connects to the internet via DSL, cable or whatever. Enable DHCP like posted above and that should do it. When you actually need a DSL "modem", they will help you, since it's not self explanatory.
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Of course, I glanced over that part. It would basically be impossible to use your own DSL modem since you'd need the owners authentication information. I think it's almost always written as DSL as most residential broadband internet connections in Europe are DSL. (Cable is rare (nonexistent?) and not to many people would have a T1 line.)

Paul
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM

>Cable is rare (nonexistent?)
Yes, here cable costs 39€ for 26mbit and 29€ for 10mbit, not that cheap and most people prefer DSL.
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I am a little confused- Is the conclusion that I will or will not be able to connect with my laptop (I don't know what DHCP is)
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Getting a bit off topic (sorry) Cable is very common in Holland. It has one of the highest percentages of cable TV availability and take up in the world, and cable internet and phone are also extremely common.
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Ask them: "Is there an ethernet socket in the room with everything configured, or do I need to a attach a DSL modem supplied by you?"
Most likely they will answer that there's an eternet jack for your PC to connect.
What you need to do then is connect PC to the socket with the proper cable and configure your PC (network connections.) Set everything to automatic. There will be a DHCP setting and a DNS setting. All this has to be automatic.

If they answer, that they supply a DSL modem, ask which one and post again
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will try to ask them tomorrow and will let you know what they say. I am hoping they will have the answer, but as they are just rental agents for the owner, I am not confident about that. Of course, they should have that information for other renters. When I asked pretty much the same question as I asked here, I was told, "There is no WIFI and technical assistance is not provided. The (they?) should
ensure that the router is working prior to your arrival."
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM

>The (they?) should ensure that the router is working prior to your arrival."

Sounds like you'll get a modem, that is fully configured and you either plug your PC into the ethernet jack of that modem or a socket somewhere in the wall that connects to that modem. As mentioned above you'd only have to configure your PC. Ask and you'll know more.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Plug in in first before turning on your laptop. In most cases it won't work if you plug it in with the laptop on.

Unless you have some super duper cheap or ancient laptop, the connection should be recognized automatically.

The only other problem may be a password to access the internet. If it's needed then you will have to contact the owner to get it or they may have it posted somewhere on the desk or the wall above the desk. I rented an apartment in Krakow, Poland and the internet connection did need a password. I looked just about everywhere, did not get anywhere with the agency as they didn't know the password, only to finally find the password posted just above the wall jack about 10ft. away from the desk.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM

>In most cases it won't work if you plug it in with the laptop on.
Not really
>Unless you have some super duper cheap or ancient laptop,
Laptop is no concern, but configuration and maybe operating system.
Don't let anybody confuse you but ask and post.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all your thoughtful comments! I will ask tomorrow and post what I learn.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Well, the agent spoke to the owner who said he will supply the information I need to connect and that I should have no problem. So, I guess I will hope for the best! Thanks for you time and suggestions!
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Rome. Owner supplied an Ethernet cable, I plugged it in to my laptop and was connected, just like at home. It was great- thanks everyone for their help!
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM

hi, who did you use and where was it you stayed?
Jan 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

We stayed in Trastevere in a great apartment --see here: http://www.romanreference.com/appartamento.php?id=1217

I put comments there and also at Slow Travel. The apt is on Filippo Casini. Let me know if you want any more info.

Search this Thread