Reload this Page >

Connecting planes at Fiumicino in Rome and customs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:37 AM
Howard

These may be dumb questions, but since we've never had connecting flights in Europe, I'm not sure. We fly into Fiumicino on Alitalia and then have a connecting flight, also Alitalia, to Ancona. Do we have to pick up our luggage and/or go thru any customs checks in Rome or is our luggage automatically transferred to the connecting flight...and we have all the waiting time between planes to do as we wish? Thanks.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:55 AM
Surlok

Howard, <BR> <BR>Being both flights on Alitalia, I believe your luggage will be automatically transferred to your next flight, and you'll go through customs in your last destination. Unless there's a very long time frame between both flights, say 8 hours or more, or if you want to leave the airport. Otherwise, check out and customs will be made in your final destination. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:58 AM
Joanne

Check your luggage through to your destination, that way you don't have to worry about it until you arrive. We've not changed planes in Rome, but have many times at Heathrow and after clearing customs go on to our next terminal or gate to catch our connecting flight. I assume it is the same at Fiumicino. You should do fine. <BR> <BR>j

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:49 AM
Howard

Thanks, Surlok and Joanne for your prompt responses....and for the hoped-for information! We have two hours between planes, so unless there is a huge delay in our Rome arrival, we're okay!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:59 AM
Sjoerd

Customs will be in Ancona, immigration in Rome.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:09 PM
Howard

Thanks, Sjoerd. That's makes sense. I supposed I should figured that out myself!