Reload this Page >

confused about ordering "un cafe" in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:13 AM
michele

If I order a "cafe au lait" in Paris, do they bring it to the table with the coffee and milk already mixed together, or with the milk separate? I like my coffee with milk on the side so that I can mix them myself to the desired strength (I'm not fussy about whether the milk is hot or cold -- although steamed milk on the side is nice -- and I'm not particularly choosy about whether the milk is whole or skim or anything in between -- although I don't care for cream). So how exactly do I order what I want? And what exactly is the difference between a "cafe creme" and a "cafe au lait"? If I order a cafe allonge, will that be really watery or is it basically the equivalent of a cafe Americano or American coffee (like espresso with water)? How would one order a cafe allonge with milk on the side? Please excuse these newbie questions. I really do have guidebooks but the translations say things like "coffee with milk" and I'm not sure whether that means mixed together already or separate...

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Louis

If you order a "caf&eacute; au lait", you will get medium strength coffee with a pot of warm milk on the side. This is usually only served at breakfast.<BR>If you order a "caf&eacute; cr&egrave;me", you will get an espresso coffee mixed with steamed milk (similar to an Italian latte). Delicious.<BR>If you order just a "caf&eacute;", you will get a short espresso (strong). If you order an "allong&eacute;" you will get long espresso (weaker). If you want cream on the side with your espresso, order a "noisette". Some places have "caf&eacute; filtre", closest equivalent to american coffee. If you want milk with that, ask for a "caf&eacute; filtre avec un pot de lait"<BR>Finally, a cappucino is a cappucino everywhere.

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:46 AM
ask

Michelle, ask for "un caf&eacute;, et du lait &agrave; c&ocirc;t&eacute;, si'l vous plait".<BR>Then ask the waiter to explain you all the different ways one can order coffee. An opportunity for starting a nice conversation.<BR>I did the same thing when I first heard about "thousand island" "italian" and "french" dressing" in the US. The waitress (I think Sandy was her name) gave me the whole rundown on dressings.

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Wendy

I always order cafe au lait and it is always brought to me as a cup of approx. 1/2 coffee 1/2 cream. Maybe order "un cafe americano avec un petit pichet du creme"? My French is not very good but I think they would understand, non?

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Vincent

I am sorry Louis, but if you order cafe au lait, the coffee will already be mixed with milk. Same for the noisette, except that there is less milk.

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:37 AM
maribel

It might depend on where you order it , when I order cafe au lait in my hotel it is brought seperately, in some cafes mixed, and in some not. Ask !

Old May 12th, 2002, 11:54 AM
clairobscur

A "cafe au lait" is usually what you drink at home in a bowl. A "cafe creme" is usually what you order in a cafe and drink in a cup. Apart from that, it's exactly the same thing.<BR><BR>"creme" or "au lait" your coffee will be served already mixed with hot milk (in cafes...it could be different in hotels). If you want the milk separately you'll have to state so.<BR><BR> You could ask "un cafe et du lait a part", for instance. Try to get your message across with hand gestures showing that you want two different thinks, "cafe" and "lait", if it seems the waiter don't really understand what you mean. "avec un pichet de lait" or "lait a cote" should be understood too.<BR><BR> If everything else fails, order a "cafe creme", walk to the bar while the waiter is preparing it and stop him when he's about to mix the coffee and the milk. If you can't manage to do that either, forego fighting against your destiny and order a tea.<BR><BR>

Old May 12th, 2002, 11:58 AM
s.fowler

clairobscur -- you just made me snort in my tea Great response

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Traveler

In the hotels in the morning, I've always found that the coffee and the milk are brought to you in separate pots and you mix them yourself. In cafes, I've always received them mixed, whether I order a cafe au lait or a cafe creme.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:37 AM
danna

What (coffee) can I order that I can be certain does not have cream? Is a cafe creme really creme? Is skim milk frowned upon? How does one order skim?<BR><BR>(I am saving my fat consumption for fois gras and chocolate, why waste it in my coffee?)

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:47 AM
elaine

hi danna<BR>As mentioned above,a cafe creme is made with milk, not cream. The chances of your getting skim milk in most cafes are slim to none and I wouldn't bother asking.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Ruth

Well, skim milk is lait &eacute;cr&eacute;m&eacute;, I think, but for the amount of fat you would get in a cup of coffee I think it may not be worth the bother of asking. A small cafe may not keep all the different types of milk.<BR><BR>I believe that cafe creme, and cafe au lait both contain milk, not cream.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:54 AM
kate

One thing I have noticed is when the milk is hot which it usually is in London and in Paris, that it tastes a little different-maybe the milk is richer than in the US? anyway-the coffee with milk in Paris just about anywhere I have gotten it is just sooo good!<BR>Kate

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:56 AM
michele

Merci beaucoup. You are all so helpful. That's why I love this forum.