Reload this Page >

Confused about old age and tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
Ruth

OK, I am new here, I came looking for news on tours to Europe. For the last few days, I have noticed different people writing that a tour is good and not so good for people of advanced age. I am in my late 60's my husband is in his 70's and now we are both old and confused about this. Any ideas? But I don't want to start a new controversy.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
Jen

You're confused because people have been over-generalizing. There are all sorts of tours, some are more appropriate for older folks and others are aimed at youngsters who want to go to nightclubs and see a different city every day. <BR><BR>You need to think about what you want to see, any special interests (museums? Sports? gardens?), where you want to go, budget, how long you want to travel, your energy level and any restrictions, etc. etc. A good travel agent will help you find the right trip. Somewhere out there is the right tour for you!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:47 PM
Wayne

Ruth---There are all kinds of tours and all kinds of tour companies. Some tours are for very active people who like to hike, bike, or engage in other such exercise. Other tours are more suited to people who (for instance) cannot climb the stairs to the top of the Duomo in Florence, or do not want to walk across the island in Chiemsee to see the Herrenchiemsee castle. Usually, the brochure or tour description will provide a pretty good explanation of what will be done. Most tours have some free time, and during that time you can stroll around, take a nap in your hotel, or just generally loaf. Also, most tours involve a lot of riding on buses, and that is the aspect of a tour that many folks say is very unappealing. If you haven't ever been on a tour, take the time to visit a couple of travel agents and investigate the various tours and their provisions. I can assure you that there are plenty of tours available and suitable for people of any age. You just have to pick one you like. Of course, if you are in good health, alert, and do a lot of driving in the U.S., you can always consider traveling independently by car, or you can travel by train. You have plenty of options; just check them out. Good luck.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:47 PM
Grandma

My husband and I match your profiles. (Except I'm early sixtiesh..still thinking fiftyish... he still thinks fortyish..) Anyhow, we are off soon on a trip. First part will be a week cruise on small ship. don't know what the passengers will be like. Then we'll be off on our own for 10 days thru Italy (which we know well.)If you're not a regular traveler a tour is probably best. I'd look for one sponsored by a group that shares your interests. That way you'll often find a mixed age group. We did a Grand Circle tour once (caters to AARP types) and found it a little bit depressing. We didn't feel WE were that old!! -

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:53 PM
Gretchen

Going on a tour or independently is purely a matter of your comfort level and it doesn't make ANY difference what others say. You might also consider ElderHostel tours which are absolutely terrific. Go to their website and see what they offer.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:55 PM
Anon

We started traveling to Europe on our own and with tours more than 34 years ago...and we're still at it. I am 75 and my wife is 72. We have a blast. We have found that most tour companies do a very good job. These would include Grand Circle, Overseas Adventure Travel, Maupintour (quite expensive), Globus, and Brendan. For value, Grand Circle. For small-group travel, OAT. Check them out. They are as close as your telephone, or you can find out a lot using your Internet connection. Get their catalogs. And don't let your age be a bother -- you will have a wonderful experience. Don't let younger people intimidate you into thinking you are "too old" -- what rubbish! Live it up!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:06 PM
Ruth

Thanks all! I will start researching this weekend. My travel agency went out of business after 9/11. So I will use your tips. Off we go!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:09 PM
Faina

Ruth, here on the Internet you can only get others' contradicting opinions. If you want to know if a tour is good for you or not - TAKE IT!! If you have health concerns talk to the tour companies. Of course you can get good advices on this board - I've asked questions here and got answers - but please make decisions yourself.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:41 PM
xx

It all depends on how old you are at 60ish and 70ish! we ar late 60ish..both work, run and play a LOT! I know 40ish's who can't keep up..If you are uncomfortable driving or planing on your own..do a tour , it's better than sitting at home rusting!