Split, Croatia Itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm spending 4 nights with friends in Split, Croatia. I'm not a big beach person, so I'm trying to plan some other activities. I really love art and local culture. I'll explore the old town and Riva Harbor, and these attractions:
Diocletian's Palace
Ivan Mestrovic Gallery
Split Gallery of Fine Arts

Do you have any other suggestions for cool and interesting things in Split? What do you think about a day trip via Flixbus to either Zadar, Dubrovnik, or Krka National Park? Or anywhere else?

Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 07:19 AM

Split isn't exactly a "beach town" anyway. But there is plenty to do nearby.

Day trips: Trogir (easy, quick trip, by bus or ferry), Krka (lovely park), Sibenik (lovely town). You can even visit islands (e.g. Hvar which I haven't visited).

Some people do a longer day trip up to Plitvice Lakes National Park (an amazing park) but probably not by public bus. There are excursion trips that will take you for the day, but personally I'd not want to be there mid-afternoon when the park is crowded.

Dubrovnik is probably too far away for a day trip: about four hours each way by bus.
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 10:22 AM
kja

That's a wonderful starting list!

When you visit the Ivan Meštrović Gallery, be sure to visit the Kaštelet , too -- its just a bit further on.

The cathedral is exquisite, and I'm glad I saw the Baptistry.

Other things I particularly enjoyed in Split include its produce market (one of my favorites!), its fish market (just for the glimpse of local culture), the City Museum (the painted ceiling of its great hall is stunning), the Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments, and the Archaeological Museum.

Trogir is only about 1/2 hour away and has truly exquisite stone carvings in its cathedral. It's also a charming place to stroll for few hours.

Andrew has given you some other great suggestions for possible day trips. Just for clarity, I believe he is referring to the Krka National Park, which I mention because there is a place in Croatia called Krk.

If you make it to Sibenik, you might want to visit the Cathedral's glorious baptistry.

I thought the Rough Guide provided particularly good coverage of the art and architecture of the area.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Great ideas all. Trogir wasn't on my radar - that seems like a great choice if I do a day trip. I;m adding all the new Split sites to my itinerary as well. I'll check out the rough guide!
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 09:43 AM
kja

Trogir is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as is Split, the cathedral in Sibenik, a few other sites in the area. You might want to look up the list....
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 12:00 AM

Having spent a few months in the Split area, I'll second the above recommendations for Trogir, Meštrović Gallery, Krka National Park, and Šibenik.

If you have time, you might enjoy a day trip to one of the neighboring islands (e.g. Brač, Šolta). Split is a transport hub (for buses, ferries and catamarans). You can find timetables on jadrolinija.hr, the state-owned ferry company. There are also other companies as well, but so far we've only tried Jadrolinija.

You mentioned an interest in art and culture. If you head to the island of Brač, there's a lovely town called Pučišća, known for its white limestone buildings and its Stonemason School, which you can visit. It's said that limestone for Diocletian's Palace - even part of the White House - was sourced in a quarry on the island.

We enjoyed spending a few hours walking around Pučišća, soaking up the sunshine at a café, and visiting the Stonemason School. Here's a peek of it:

https://triciaannemitchell.com/2017/...esarska-skola/