conference/congress attire

May 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

conference/congress attire

I will be attending an international psychology congress (conference) in Athens in July. In the U.S., it is possible to get away with wearing "dressy casual" clothes if attending the conference and not lecturing. However, I believe that is not the case everywhere. What can I expect others to be wearing for the conference? Thanks.
May 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I think this would be better answered by those attending or those who have attended the conference. I may be wrong, but the folks on this board are travelers, and the number who have attended an international psychology conference could probably be counted on maybe 2 fingers.
May 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Hi Shellee, I have attended a number of International medical conferences in both the US and UK/Europe and haven't seen any difference in attire. 'Smart casual' would be the norm if you are not presenting in my humble opinion.
May 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

2Italy - I figured this was worth a shot. I consider myself a traveler of course, yet I have been to conferences in Russia and India. Thank you though.

ozgirl- Thank you very much for your opinion.

May 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Shellee, I've gone to international conferences (I am also in psychology as well as education) and the attire seemed similar to me. There was a range--a few suits, but mostly "business casual."

If I were going to Greece or Mediterranean area in July, and just attending not presenting, I imagine I'd look for a light colored linen blend or linen look: very light, thin beige or tan jacket with light, white top /tank and lightweight pants or skirt--the usual rule about everything going together.

Travelsmith has a light jacket with drawstring pants that could work.
May 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Have been to numerous medical/associated professional congresses in europe as well as the US - in a business capacity. But have had HOURS of time to observe the attendees. Except for the speakers dress ranged from business casual to incredibly sloppy (and I must admit the psychs seem to be the most eccentric in matters of dress).

Anyone wearing a suit is either a presenter or there in a commercial capacity.
May 8th, 2006, 11:55 AM

I travel to scientific and medical conferences in the U.S. and Europe frequently, and the attire's exactly the same everywhere: suit or very tailored separates if you're speaking, otherwise whatever's comfortable (so meetings in northern Europe tend to be more formal, but only because it's not so hot that you can't bear to wear a jacket).

Athens in July is going to be hot as heck, so consider the fact that you'll be moving between air conditioned interiors and very hot, sunny exterior. Cotton skirt with cotton twin-set or cotton dress with cotton cardigan would be my picks. Remember to bring your wrap in the evening as well.
May 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. They've been very helpful. This matches with most of my own experiences in the U.S. and Russia. It was just in India where I felt most people were dressed as if they were going to present.