condotti hotel in Rome?

Search

condotti hotel in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
condotti hotel in Rome?

We are supposed stay at this hotel for 4 nights in April, but I am a little nervous from some reviews. Can anybody ease my concerns? Thanks Singer
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Don;t know the hotel but most reviews didn't seem bad for a budget property. One woman complained of having a ring stolen - and my question would be - why isn't it on her finger? Leaving jewelry in any hotel room is obviously asking for trouble.

Another complaint about price seemed to be the result of unrealistic expectations versus cost of things in europe.

Perhaps someone who has stayed there can help more.

I would go expecting modest and you probably won;t be disappointed.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Dear NY traveler, What we want a bit more than modest? Have you stayed anywhere you would recommend? Last time we stayed at the Intercontinental in Rome; but for 6 people it is quite high. Singer
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM

I probably can;t help since I do either 5* (on business) or 4* (on vacation).

But if you look below there are a lot of listings of pleasant 3* hotels in good locations. Without knowing your budget for # of people it's hard to give recos.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with nytraveler. I don't know where you saw the reviews, but the ones on Tripadvisor were relatively consistent and positive. I don't worry about specific complaints unless I see the same complaint repeated over a period of time which indicates things haven't improved or corrected.

I also agree that it's hard to make recommendations without knowing your budget or even what rate you were amenable to paying at the Condotti.

There are loads of hotels in the same area. If you want to do some comparisons, I can recommend:

http://www.fontanellaborghese.com/English.htm

and its sister hotel nearby:

http://www.hotelduetorriroma.com/

We've stayed at the Fontanella Borghese multiple times and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It's about 3 blocks from the Condotti.

BTW, if you decide to stay at the Condotti, the restaurant next door is mentioned favorably in several guide books. We used to enjoy it a lot but were disappointed during our last visit. The food is OK, but all of the wait staff is now East Asian. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not the experience I'm looking for when dining in Rome.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

My husband prefers a 4 star or 5 star and that is why he is a bit nervous. Are there any 4 star you would reccomend? Also, the hotels Jean recommended did seem very nice too; I just want a price comparison to a 4 0r 5 star. Singer
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 07:25 PM

Are you aware the number of stars is not related to the quality or luxury quotient of the hotel? The number of stars corresponds to the number and type of amenities offered by the establishment. These could be amenities that you won't necessarily need or use but will pay for, like conference facilities, in-house gym, parking, a full-service restaurant, room service, etc., but may also be things like A/C, elevator, satellite TV, internet access, in-room safe, minibar, view from the room.

Hotels with 4 and 5 stars tend to be larger than average, so you're less likely to find a charming, small, boutique hotel with that many stars (if that matters to you). TYou may also find the rooms and bathrooms in these hotels a little larger than average.

You need to decide what you want to spend, where you want to be (in a general sense) and what amenities you need. Start with your budget and try to find the best option available within that budget. You can refine your search on Tripadvisor by location, rate and category/stars.

It's easy to fall in love with a place you really can't afford. Then again, if you can afford 400-600 euros a night, good on ya. But there are many very nice hotels with only 3 stars (and even 2!).
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean, your advice is greatly appreciated and I see what you mean as I researched a bit more. We are going to stick with the Condotti as it seems like a lovely boutique hotel and the location should be perfect for my teenage daugahters. I can't worry about the few negative reviews on trip advisor.
Thank you,
Singer
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM

Singer, have a great trip!
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I might have a few questions for you in the future if that's all right. Singer
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM

Sure. I'd be happy to help if I can. Just add any questions to this thread, and I'll keep an eye on it. FYI, I'll be away most of October.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM

We liked the look of this hotel on via Condotti:

http://www.lalumieredipiazzadispagna.com

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

I should say that it is a family of 6 including granparents. Should we get 2 triples or a family room and a double?