Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Concert in St. Martin in the Fields (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/concert-in-st-martin-in-the-fields-661589/)

Scout12 Nov 30th, 2006 08:06 AM

Concert in St. Martin in the Fields

Hello,

I plan to hear an evening concert here but am not sure as to where best to sit for a short person - the nave (band A tickets) or the gallery (also band A tickets).

Thanks.

kenderina Nov 30th, 2006 08:12 AM

I'm short myself..but I just don't get your point...if you want to hear..where's the problem with being short ? :) There's a difference if you want to see ..
Churches use to have good acoustics, anyway. I suppose there's no big difference and that's why the price is the same.

Scout12 Nov 30th, 2006 08:29 AM

I should have clarified that I also want to see most of the performers :-). Thanks.

TimS Nov 30th, 2006 08:49 AM

Four years ago I attended two concerts at St. Martin-in-the-Fields. At one I sat in the nave (Band A) and for the other I sat in the gallery (Band A). While I could see fine from both places, I think you'd prefer the gallery. The view of the performers was excellent from there.

kenderina Nov 30th, 2006 08:57 AM

Then I would go for the nave tickets :) The gallery ones probably would be from the lateral. And try to have first line tickets..it's awful when you pay for being very near and then you have a basketball player (or at least..that's what they look to me) on the seat in front of yours :)) That happened to me on a concert ..I could have save good money buying a cheaper ticket..I see very little of the performer that kept on singing in the middle of the stage..just where I couldn't see him :)

SeaUrchin Nov 30th, 2006 08:59 AM

At S. Martin's I like to sit along the middle aisle near the back so I can see the church and the performers.

PalenqueBob Nov 30th, 2006 09:31 AM

Just an aside about this weird church and the tombstones you walk and presumably sit on during concerts.

Always seemed rather macabre. I wonder are there really folks in the tombs below and why the heck do they allow the ancient gravestones to become so worn? Sacreligious? Not to me but seems would be to some?

SeaUrchin Nov 30th, 2006 09:49 AM

Last time I was there, there was a coffee shop in their basement. That has changed?

GBC Nov 30th, 2006 09:52 AM

Hi...We sat in the nave/band A and were very happy. We were, I suppose, more interested in the sound than the visual possibilities. They were very helpful to us - perhaps you could email them and ask what they would suggest.

janisj Nov 30th, 2006 09:58 AM

Anywhere would be fine - I personally prefer upstairs along the sides. The view down upon the full church, chandeliers, candles and the performers is lovely. (I am very short too)

Scout12 Nov 30th, 2006 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have emailed them but have not heard back yet. If I don't get a reply, then I may get a seat up in the gallery.

I think there is still a cafe down in the crypt.

JoeTro Nov 30th, 2006 11:03 AM

Yes, there is still a cafe in the crypt. It creeps me out.

PalenqueBob Nov 30th, 2006 11:09 AM

Oops - i got the crypt mixed up with the church above. It's in the cafe you walk and dine on tombstones.

And i like this cafe as it has WCs to use when in the area and nature calls.

NeoPatrick Nov 30th, 2006 12:39 PM

Gee, I'm a nut about getting great seats to plays -- or visual performances, but I guess I just don't worry about "seeing" musicians in a concert. In fact I spend much of most concerts with my eyes closed, letting the music transport me to another place. Am I just weird or what?

WillTravel Nov 30th, 2006 12:40 PM

Many people like watching the pianist or cellist or whomever in action. It's another dimension of the performance.

Girlspytravel Nov 30th, 2006 01:03 PM

Just make sure that when you come out of St. Martin's, you aren't glowing in the dark...

VLambert Dec 1st, 2006 03:26 AM

If seeing is important to you, head for the gallery. Remember, St. Martin's is a church. The auditorium is not raked and there is no stage. In any but the rirst row of the nave, you stand a good chance of having at least part of your view blocked.
Additionally, don't expect comfort. The pews are hard with extremely upright backs.
That said, we try to attend at least a couple of concerts at St. Martins whenever we are in London. We love the place.

travelgirl2 Dec 1st, 2006 06:20 AM

Also downstairs near the cafe in the crypt, is a brass rubbing center. Lots of fun to do a brass rubbing.

audere_est_facere Dec 1st, 2006 06:49 AM

Yes they are real tombs. There are literally hundreds, more likely thopusands of people beneath your feat in any old London church (it was the only place to bury the city's dead until the 1860s.)

My dad told me that when the luftwafffe bombed the old churches in the blitz the bombs threw thousands of skellingtons out of the ground.

londonengland Dec 1st, 2006 07:38 AM

Is a skellington a corpse that is prepared for a rainy day?