Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Concern about Turkey Political Situation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/concern-about-turkey-political-situation-701109/)

BKD Apr 29th, 2007 05:54 PM

Concern about Turkey Political Situation

We're booked to go to Turkey in June and I've been following the political events going on in the country. Talks about a possible military coup have me a bit spooked. Anybody else having second thoughts about going?

Weadles Apr 29th, 2007 06:45 PM

I've been following this situation closely since we're going to Turkey in July. From what I've read, I doubt very much that there'll be a military coup. It sounds like things have calmed down a bit with the selection of a more moderate candidate for prime minister. I think we'll all know much more about this after the mid-May elections.

julies Apr 29th, 2007 07:22 PM

I was planning to buy tickets tomorrow for a last minute trip later this month. Now my husband says I'm nuts. So, I don't know what we'll do. I truly don't know when I should be so concerned that a country is off my travel list. I'm saying this because as I was just looking at travel advisoures, I noticed that the UK has just issued one for Italy, a place I wouldn;t have connected with concerns.

I found this great website you might want to monitor. Scroll down a little ways and you'll see a section titled Breaking News.

http://www.allsafetravels.com/Countr...x?countryid=59

elina Apr 30th, 2007 01:52 AM

Really, what political events? There is a debate about the prime minister, and if he is too religious for the job. But that is the only news I have read lately. Doesn´t seem anything very concerning.

logos999 Apr 30th, 2007 02:18 AM

If things sould get "out of control" a military coup was/is the standard solution to the problem in Turkey. I wouldn't be worried. If something should happen in that direction it'll only last a few days and after that everything will be back to normal.

Lawchick Apr 30th, 2007 02:32 AM

Should we cancel our holiday? Also someone here siad something recently about dangers in Germany?

worldinabag Apr 30th, 2007 02:43 AM

Turkey, Italy, Germany... Any others? Sounds like "Chicken Little" fables. C'mon folks these places are safer than a US high school or shopping mall!!!

logos999 Apr 30th, 2007 03:10 AM

>dangers in Germany?
The media reports roumors of an imminent attack. According to reliable sources (RTL :-) ), the terrorists have already arrived and are preparing for the grand coup. Poltians say "We're going to do our best"...) yada, yada...
Yes there will be a terrorist attack in Germany, don't go to the location where it happens at the wrong time. If I would want to make a "lasting impression", Neuschwanstein would be my first target ;-)

PrincessOfPenguins Apr 30th, 2007 03:17 AM

I have some friends who just got back from Tallin. They said the riots were more of an annoyance than anything, and that they never felt threatened.

These kinds of things can happen anywhere, anytime. If you're a 'fraidy-cat, then it's best to stay within the safety of your own four walls...

BKD Apr 30th, 2007 03:31 AM

In my mind, there is a distinction between a terrorist attack and political unrest. A terrorist attack can happen anywhere at anytime. You can't plan around that. On the other hand, when 1,000,000 people take to the streets in Istanbul and Ankara and the military says issues strong statements in opposition to the government hinting that they may take matters into their own hands, well, that's something completely different. Rather than having a relatively small impact (terrorist attack), the situation in Turkey would impact the entire country. I love history; it's why I travel. On the other hand, I don't necessarily want to be a part of it when I vacation with my wife and children.

What I'd like to know from some of the Turkish fodorites who often contribute to this forum, is the sense that this will blow over or blow up by the middle of June?

Louie_LI Apr 30th, 2007 04:00 AM

Having been in Turkey in 1997 during a military coup, I can assure you that we didn't notice a thing. When the generals take over, they take over the government in order to defend the constitution. It doesn't mean tanks in the streets.

Awrata Apr 30th, 2007 04:14 AM

Concerned about safety? Thinking twice about cancelling your trip to a potential hotspot?
Then head for the Mediterranean islands of Malta and Gozo. They are the SAFEST place on the planet!

alanRow Apr 30th, 2007 04:19 AM

I take it folk have already cancelled their holidays to Kansas, Texas & Virginia?

Lawchick Apr 30th, 2007 04:27 AM

Texas had that chainsaw massacre. In Kansas, that poor girl and her dog were sucked up by a whirlwind. Virginia is the home of tobacco which everyone knows is very dangerous......of course I've cancelled any intention of going to such awful places.

julies Apr 30th, 2007 04:29 AM

I am normally one who also dismisses these concerns as those of scardey-cats. And, as a US citizen I don't put much credibility in the advisories of my own State Department because I think they sometimes are overly cautions. However, this warning from the Australian government does give me cause for concern.

"Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. You can find more information about this threat in our General Advice to Australian Travellers.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Turkey because of the high threat of terrorist attack. We continue to receive reports that terrorists are planning attacks against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners

Recent credible reports indicate that terrorists are preparing to resume attacks in Turkey in April and May 2007. Potential targets include Turkish security forces, government sites and civilian and tourist areas in major cities including Izmir, Istanbul, Adana, Ankara and Antalya. Vacation destinations such as beaches, national parks and forests could also be targeted. Attacks could occur at any time, anywhere in Turkey.

Domestic terrorist groups (some with links to international terrorists) have carried out attacks in Turkey. On 28 August 2006 a bomb in the shopping area of Antalya, killed three people and injured dozens, including European tourists. The blast followed four bombs in the resort city of Marmaris and in the Bagcilar area of Istanbul that wounded 28 people, including 10 British tourists. A percussion bomb exploded opposite the east entrance of the Blue (Sultanahmet) Mosque in Istanbul on 15 August 2006. An explosion on 14 August 2006 opposite the Haghia Sofia in the Sutlanahmet archaeological park in Istanbul injured three. On 12 August 2006 a bomb exploded outside an internet café in Istanbul injuring six people. On 4 August 2005 two explosions in the Mediterranean city of Adana injured 17 people. On 25 June 2006 an explosion at a popular tourist site in Manavgat in the province of Antalya killed 4 and injured 26 people. The cause of the explosion has not been confirmed. On 3 June 2006 a remote controlled explosive device detonated in Mersin injuring 15 people. On 31 March 2006 an explosion in the Istanbul suburb of Kocamustafapasa (5 kilometres from the main tourist suburb of Sultanahmet) killed one person and injured a number of others. On 2 April 2006 a bus in a residential suburb of Istanbul was attacked, resulting in several deaths and injuries to many others.

The domestic terrorist group largely responsible for these attacks has carried out a number of attacks on civilian targets in major Turkish cities since the start of 2006 and has claimed over 100 victims. This group made a public statement in March 2007 calling on foreign tourists to avoid Turkey or face unspecified consequences and threatened to stage further attacks against Turkey's tourism sector, and specifically against European tourists. This group made a similar statement before the summer holiday period in 2006 and a number of tourists and tourist interests were subsequently attacked. Further attacks in areas popular with tourists, including Ankara, Antalya, Adana, Izmir and Istanbul, are expected.

Other bomb attacks in the past 12 months in Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Adana and Antalya have resulted in injuries and deaths. In February 2006 bomb attacks occurred at an internet café in Istanbul. In July 2005 terrorists attacked tourist areas in Kusadasi and Cesme resulting in the deaths and injuries of a number of foreign tourists. Terrorists have threatened to carry out further attacks in tourist areas. Westerners were targeted in the bombings of two tourist hotels in Istanbul in August 2004 and the November 2003 attacks against the British Consulate-General and HSBC Bank. Terrorists have also in the past targeted infrastructure, including railway lines, resulting in a number of deaths and further attacks against such targets are possible.

In planning your activities, consider the kind of places known to be terrorist targets including commercial and public areas frequented by foreigners throughout Turkey such as public transport facilities, hotels, bars, shopping areas, places of worship, embassies, public gatherings, tourist areas and ports, including those used by international cruise liners. Attacks involving small bombs and suicide bombers have targeted western economic and political interests, as well as symbols and buildings associated with Turkish government, political party offices, places of worship, financial institutions and automatic teller machines. Significant dates and anniversaries are also symbols and terrorists have in the past used such occasions to mount attacks."

Awrata Apr 30th, 2007 04:33 AM

'Scaredy Cats'?
Well I guess americans are reaping the harvest of what they have been sowing around the world.

Lawchick Apr 30th, 2007 04:37 AM

I should not go to anywhere in the US it seems

Homeland Security Advisory System

Current Threat Level
April 30, 2007 — The United States government national threat level Elevated, or Yellow.

The U.S. threat level is High, or Orange, for all domestic and international flights. Only small amounts of liquids, aerosols and gels are allowed in carry-on baggage.

See the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website for up-to-date information on items permitted and prohibited on airlines.

Recommended Activities
All Americans should continue to be vigilant, take notice of their surroundings, and report suspicious items or activities to local authorities immediately.
Everyone should establish an emergency preparedness kit and emergency plan for themselves and their family, and stay informed about what to do during an emergency.

julies Apr 30th, 2007 04:41 AM

I have a couple of comments here.

1. Unless you have truly been researching and following a situation, your flip comments are of no value to anyone who is asking a serious question.

2. I voted against Bush twice and seriously disagree with the policies of the current administration. But, as one who has actually looked into the warnings regarding travel in Turkey, it is Europeans who are mentioned as targets much more than Americans. I don't believer threats against Europeans have to do with the US's terribly bungled foreign policy.

logos999 Apr 30th, 2007 04:49 AM

Well, the can't find enough Americans there, and since they LOVE to kill people, they go for the 2nd best. ;-)

Awrata Apr 30th, 2007 04:52 AM

I like that Logos. I tend to agree fully to the equation!