Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Concentration Camp (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/concentration-camp-455665/)

donnae_b Jul 1st, 2004 07:42 AM

Concentration Camp

We will be in Munich and Prague, is there a concentration camp near either place?

bbib Jul 1st, 2004 07:57 AM

Hi donnae_b

I haven't been myself - but about an hour's drive from Prague is Terezin, a concentration camp used for those in 'transit' to Auscwitz.

bbib

mgmargate Jul 1st, 2004 08:08 AM

Auchwitz is close to Munich.

travelbunny Jul 1st, 2004 08:11 AM

..No Dachau is close to munich not auchwitz..dachau can be easily reached by public transport.

mgmargate Jul 1st, 2004 08:20 AM

You are correct,Auchwitz is in poland. Sorry.

elaine Jul 1st, 2004 08:23 AM

HI
If you do a search here on Terezin I know you will find a good deal of information, including some of mine.
I visited Terezin in March.

If you would like that info emailed you in my Prague report, email me at
[email protected]

Target1 Jul 1st, 2004 08:39 AM

Dachau Concentration Camp is located just outside of Munich.
http://goeurope.about.com/cs/germany/l/aa_dauchau.htm

SueBee Jul 1st, 2004 09:04 AM

We went to Dachau a few years ago while staying in Munich. It was very moving, and I felt honestly presented. There is a Movie, shich is played in English at a specific time each day, so check first. It also includes a museum and then we followed a self directed tour. My daughter was 12 at the time, and we felt important for her to see. Enjoy Munich. WE loved it.

mikemo Jul 1st, 2004 09:59 AM

Now that the geography is correct, let me say that both are starck, but the notorius Auschwitz will literally change your life.
M

Bob1 Jul 1st, 2004 10:48 AM

Dachau is easy to get to and worth a visit. We first went there in 1970 and again in 2001 with friends that had not been. Very moving both times. Dachau is basically a suburb of Munich in the NW part of the town.

travelinfamily Jul 1st, 2004 06:47 PM

We went to Germany in April and went to the Dachau camp, it is a full day tour (we were told it could be done in a half a day) to see it all and read all of the facts and information on all of the photo boards you must plan a whole day. Rent one of the audio tour hand helds, it is very informative. It was amazing and sad, but very worth it, plan something up lifting for the end of the day!! (We went to Englisher Garden after!) :) Have a great trip!!

cigalechanta Jul 1st, 2004 06:53 PM

If you go to Terizin, buy the book first , of childrens', thoughts and drawings, called,
"And
I never Saw Another Butterfly."

Curious Jul 2nd, 2004 10:31 AM

The real trick to visiting the concentration camps is to do your research before you go. This way you have the history of the camp, the liberation and the life. I can't emphasis it enough.

You would be amazed at what they don't include on the tours. For example: When the United States Army liberated Dachau, there were railroad cars (think cattle cars) lining the railroad in the camp. All the camps were full and the cars had been going from camp to camp to find room. When the Army entered the camp, the smell was awful. The railroad cars were full of dead prisoners......all of them dead.

The liberators were so p____ off, they lined up the remaing SS troops and machined gun them. A few survived. Needless to say, Eisenhower was very "upset". No more of that!!! That is not on the tour. Your have to do your research.

Curious

4sammy Jul 2nd, 2004 04:17 PM

It is Dachau that is near Munich. You can reach it easily via subway - take it to the Dachau stop and then change to a bus to the camp (don't worry, everyone getting off that stop will be going to the same place you are)!!

It is definitely worth it. Allow half a day. Then do something more happy the rest of the day. Enjoy enjoy your trip!!

losttexan May 27th, 2007 10:17 PM

Maybe it's better to go to Aushwitz then? How can I get there from Frankfurt? Is I can only go to one, is Aushwitz the more historical? Thanks!

logos999 May 28th, 2007 01:58 AM

This is scary and insulting!

tomboy May 28th, 2007 04:44 AM

More pitiful, I'd say.

Greatsights May 28th, 2007 04:54 AM

Dachau is very near, a suburb as others have said, of Munich.

Auschwitz is 50 kilometers from Krakow Poland.

Both concentration camps are authentic and historical. Whichever one you choose to visit should leaving a lasting and memorable impression on you.

jdraper May 28th, 2007 06:04 AM

logos: Why is this scary and insulting? It is my understanding that Dachau has been set up to view at the urging and express help of former prisoners who want to make sure that this attrocity is never forgotten or repeated. It is a part of history that should not be ignored. We found our visit to Dachau to be a very moving experience. I am just trying to understand why you feel this is insulting.

logos999 May 28th, 2007 06:21 AM

Read the questions, no further comment.