Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Computer Use (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/computer-use-623848/)

debdea Jun 15th, 2006 12:40 PM

Computer Use

I am going to Italy soon and I will need to use my computer to dial in to my business on an 800 #. Will I be able to do that and if so do I need to purchase any special devices in order to connect. I also want to dial in to my AOL account-Will that be toll free? Will my wireless router work? Any advice would be appreciated

StCirq Jun 15th, 2006 12:50 PM

No, you can't call 800 numbers from Europe as far as I know. You definitely can't from France.

AOL imposes a fairly steep surcharge for dialing in from overseas. You have to set your service up before you leave: choose a new location, find the Italian local numbers for the dial-up, and use them while you're there. You're better off using a cybercafé and accessing your mail through Internet Explorer, then aol.com.

Your wireless router will work where there's service - probably in major cities and towns. I had no problem in Paris but there was no way in the Dordogne - imagine it's the same in Italy. Actually I'll find out two weeks from today.

sardog10 Jun 15th, 2006 01:15 PM

I know that from Germany I can dial 800 numbers in the States. I just dial 001 800
etc. and a recording tells me that the call will be charged at regular direct-dial rates. It may not be free, and it may not work from Italy, but at least it's a possibility.

rex Jun 15th, 2006 01:15 PM

You can call any valid US number using AT&T direct (a local call in all kinds of locations all over Europe), but the tariff for the call will be the same as any other non-800 number. You can probably find AOL local numbers in major Italy cities, but experience has it that connecting via dial-up from Europe is an exercise in high cost and frustration.

Your wireless router should broadcast, wirelessly, any internet connection you get, but if it is dial-up, it seems rather pointless. I think that the answer from StCirq is referring to your wireless network card - - which will pick up any wireless signal you're near (hotel or otherwise).

If your business needs you that bad, then I would recommend getting a hotel with (wireless?) internet, just as you would, in the US.

Best wishes,

Rex

Travelnut Jun 16th, 2006 06:20 AM

..and have the company PAY for it.

kr Jun 16th, 2006 07:20 AM

aol is easy, you have to set up your sign in options to tcip, not dial up. When u plug to a dsl wire or wireless as long as you have an internet connection you will sign in. AOL also is web based you can use that not the typical desktop AOL.

And what exactly are you dialing into, im confused usually you just have a address and pass code to access any server in a buisness.

djkbooks Jun 16th, 2006 11:36 AM

Note that when you go to www.aol.com in Europe, you'll get the version for the country you're in...

You have to find "International" on the home page, then "USA", then you can log in and use your e-mail account.

La_Tour_de_Cause Jun 17th, 2006 06:56 AM

Regarding calling US-based 800 numbers: I always just use my MCI card and dial the French access code (0800-99-0019), enter my calling card number, and then dial the 800 number (remember, no need to precede it with a "1" as I have to do at home in the US). Always works. Great when you have to call an American business, like a bank, car rental company, or even your airline. Not sure how you would set your computer to do that, but it's certainly possible with a standard telephone.