Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Complete Idiot's Guide to German (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/complete-idiots-guide-to-german-705843/)

LLindaC May 17th, 2007 06:35 AM

Complete Idiot's Guide to German

Having completed Level One and Two I am now a graduate of this course. I know why they named it that. I sound like a COMPLETE Idiot speaking German. I think once you hit 50, it's a waste to learn anything, right? I've learned to ask where the toliet is and how to order 2 beers. Nothing else matters. Seriously, though, the little workbooks called "German" (pick your language) in 10 days has been a real good tool for travlers. Plus my teens think it's cute that Mommy has a workbook and is doing homework. Wunderbar!

PalenQ May 17th, 2007 06:58 AM

Ya-Vole!

quokka May 17th, 2007 09:49 AM

There used to be a cute commercial spot on German TV a while ago, advertising a certain type of Bavarian beer (I don't remember which brand):

Three well dressed smiling guys from India were sitting in a Bavarian beer garden. One had a phrase book and said to the waitress (in German): "No - I - do not - want - to - buy - this - carpet." The waitress looked puzzled for a moment, then nodded and brought them three beers, and they were happy.

Conclusion: You've already learned the two most important things: how to order a beer, and how to get rid of it afterwards...
Learning something new is never a waste. Have fun! This is a game!

P.S. Most Germans speak decent English.

LLindaC May 17th, 2007 10:29 AM

In certain parts of rural Switzerland last year, our lack of German was a bit difficult. Luckily, I'm pretty fluent in French. We are going to the tres tourisy part of Salzburg...the Salzkammergut- and I'm pretty certain there won't be a language problem. However, out of respect, I think it's nice to speak a few phrases in the native tongue. Usually gives em a good laugh, too! And after a few beers, I am so much more proficient, it amazes me. ;-)

kleeblatt May 17th, 2007 10:32 AM

Hi Quokka,

It's raining buckets today in Switzerland and I muttered without thinking...I want to go to Rio. I've got to stop watching so much TV.

waring May 17th, 2007 10:45 AM

"I think once you hit 50, it's a waste to learn anything, right?"

Not a bit of it. There is the story of the 95 year old woman who just got her University degree in the press, and I had a gentleman who graduated with me in French and Russian at the age of 82.

Learning a language is easy, you learn thousands and thousands of words by rote, twist your face inside out trying to pronounce them, then work on the grammar until your forehead bleeds.

After that, you move onto actually trying to use it, only to find out that the language actually spoken has nothing to do with what you learnt.

What could be easier?

logos999 May 17th, 2007 10:55 AM

Hi Schuler
>I want to go to Rio
It's Riu, you didn't pay enough attention to the commercial ;-). Now they'll never have you as their guest. :-)

Jen May 17th, 2007 10:59 AM

"Conclusion: You've already learned the two most important things: how to order a beer, and how to get rid of it afterwards..."

Yes, and as an American traveler in Europe who drinks cocktails, I now know how to say "more ice, please" in 5 languages.

phieaglefan May 17th, 2007 11:14 AM

Linda,

I feel your pain. I have been listening to my German tapes for months now.

I wish that my sole goal was to utter a few words and seem polite. No, I get to go and visit family (aunt, cousins, etc.) for a few days - and they speak NO english. They live in a tiny town, which I generally refer to as the 'Arkansas' of Germany because their dialect is so difficult to understand.

I've visited twice before, but both times had a very good translator with me (an Uncle). He was not able to make this trip, so I'm on my own!

I wish you viel gluck und viele Bier!
H

enzian May 17th, 2007 11:24 AM

LLindaC---do you have a way to practice speaking?

I can't remember where you live, but here in Seattle, there is a German language "Meetup" group that meets for conversation. Maybe there is one near you too? I think most groups meet over Bier, so you'd fit right in!

StCirq May 17th, 2007 11:43 AM

My father became completely fluent in three languages after the age of 70, including Ancient Greek.

Of course, ha was already fluent in about 5 languges to begin with, so the was some innate talent there!