Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Comparison of two Montmartre locations for Paris hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/comparison-of-two-montmartre-locations-for-paris-hotel-1659334/)

WillTravel Oct 18th, 2018 11:43 AM

Comparison of two Montmartre locations for Paris hotel

I was last in Paris 10 years ago, and I have visited Montmartre a couple times. Now I am looking at staying several days in March in Montmartre, and I have found two good online deals for the Aparthotel Adagio Montmartre at 10 Place Charles Dullin, and the Hotel de Flore at 108 Rue Lamarck. I checked them out on Google, and they're an 18-minute walk apart, and I suspect have quite a different neighborhood feel.

Edited to add: Let me add Hotel Boronali at 65 Rue de Clignancourt also.

Can someone who is familiar with the area help me get a sense of the difference in these neighborhoods?

MmePerdu Oct 18th, 2018 12:37 PM

I have friends who love the north side of the 18th, where the Lamarck hotel is located but which I don’t consider Montmartre. I prefer being on the mountain but that’s very subjective. But neither of the other 2 are in locations that would be my first choice either so it might be helpful if you said a little about why you chose those 3.

A small hotel where I’ve happily stayed several times, also on Rue Lamarck, nearer Sacre Coeur but not in the tourist scrum, is L’Ermitage. Ermitage Sacré Coeur ? Visiter Paris autrement

Christina Oct 18th, 2018 12:50 PM

well, the one at place Charles Dullin is more in the thick of things as it's near Sacre Coeur. That used to be another residence hotel a long long time ago, it's been around a long time. The one near Lamarck isn't as hectic but on the other hand, perhaps not as convenient. The one at place Charles Dullin is very near Anvers square, also.

I would never stay at the other one, too inconvenient for me. That is an area with a lot of African immigrants, so you get that type of food/market stuff. If you like shopping for spices and clothes from Africa, it might suit you. Or maybe counterfeit goods. I think it has a higher crime rate than some other areas, from what I've read , but crimes that may not affect you (drugs, prostitution).

this sort of gives you an idea
Not quite down and out in Paris, but almost...: Chateau Rouge

WillTravel Oct 18th, 2018 03:22 PM

Why this selection

I would certainly consider other hotels, and other areas, but the first two fit several criteria: Reasonable reviews, a room that is greater than 200 sq. ft, twin beds, and excellent rates through certain websites. The Boronali is cheap enough to consider getting two rooms, so room size is less of a concern. As I am sure Paris travelers know, many Paris hotel rooms are miniscule, even 3* and some 4* ones. I will be traveling with a friend and don't want her to feel crowded.

WillTravel Oct 18th, 2018 03:24 PM

Boronali location

I am reasonably accustomed to challenging areas, but less so for my friend, so if there is open criminal activity near Hotel Boronali, I would likely skip it.

WillTravel Oct 18th, 2018 03:27 PM

The restaurant selection around rue Lamarck seems very good.

MmePerdu Oct 18th, 2018 04:13 PM

The Ermitage has a very nice twin I shared on trips with my mother & sister, #11 if I recall correctly, on the hillside garden below street level at the rear so very quiet & private. The neighborhood is upscale residential.

thibaut Oct 19th, 2018 03:58 AM

I used to stay often at the Boronali when I went regularly to Paris. 18th was my favorite place to stay then.
I loved the place, and the neighbourhood (you're 50 m from Sacree Fleur, one of the best places to get meat) and close to Chateau Rouge which is a narea I love but described by some as a no go zone (lots of black people there, lot of fun an animation).
You have also a 'bar à bières' at the corner, where I went quite often too - ltos of beers from my region (northern France) from microbreweries.
I went to hotel de Flore once and didn't like it. Ok but noisy.
Not been to the Adagio you mention.

WillTravel Oct 19th, 2018 08:00 AM

Thanks thibaut. I had not seen complaints about the area in the Boronali reviews.

WillTravel Oct 19th, 2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu (Post 16811731)
The Ermitage has a very nice twin I shared on trips with my mother & sister, #11 if I recall correctly, on the hillside garden below street level at the rear so very quiet & private. The neighborhood is upscale residential.

For L'Ermitage, they are quoting 100 Euros for a single on their website, which is considerably more than the rates I've found for the others. I have emailed about their apartments.

Envierges Oct 19th, 2018 08:34 AM

Most of the difficulties with the BoroNali Hotel deal with areas around and east of. Blvd. Barbes. Most of those of us living in Paris would not find the area around the BoroNali a problem. Depends upon your comfort level. Paris "atmosphere" can change quickly from one block to the next. The metro at Chateau Rouge might be a problem, again, depending on your comfort zone.

The article Christine links to is dated 2010 and is therefore, not exactly current.

Belinda Oct 19th, 2018 10:21 AM

The one on rue Lamarck is about 2 blocks from where I live (and a really long stairway!). It’s an easy walk to thé Caulaincourt Lamarck métro and a short walk to both the 80 and 95 bus lines. It’s very much part of Montmartre - just not tourist central. Rue Lamarck ends at Sacré Cœur. The one on Charles Dullin is very close to Sacré Cœur and smack in the middle of tourist central.

If if it were me I would choose the rue Lamarck location.

Have you checked the prices for the Terrass Hotel on Joseph de Maestre?

WillTravel Oct 19th, 2018 11:03 AM

Yes, I did check, and the Terrass hotel is about twice the price of what I am able to get for the first two mentioned.

kerouac Oct 19th, 2018 11:59 AM

Place Charles Dullin is very nice. I would say it is "surrounded by the thick of things" rather than being in the thick of things.

WillTravel Oct 20th, 2018 01:05 AM

Good to hear, Kerouac.

Now also considering Hotel Les Jardins de Montmartre at 131 rue Ordener.

kerouac Oct 20th, 2018 02:06 AM

For restaurants, La Souris Verte at 190 rue Marcadet is usually good, although the service can be uneven.

Envierges Oct 20th, 2018 07:25 AM

Rue Orderer because of its diversity is one of my favorite walking streets. The metro is a busy one and the #80 bus from Jules Joffrin will get you across Paris to the Ecole Militaire ending its route at the Porte de Versailles. The Montmartrobus also stops at Jules Joffrin. The time quoted to Sacre Coeur is a bit misleading because Sacre Coeur is an uphill climb.

thibaut Oct 20th, 2018 07:27 AM

2 blocks away, also on Orderner I was 2 weeks agao at 'le chant des oliviers' and we loved it. Now only my opinion counts, since the others were a Brit, a Pole and an Italian. How would they know what is good food ;-)

Envierges Oct 20th, 2018 08:35 AM

If you decide on Les Jardins, and want to do a little exploration, the #60 bus would take you through the burgeoning art/tech area of east Paris and end at Gambetta where you could visit the cemetery of Pere Lachaise

kerouac Oct 20th, 2018 11:22 AM

Line 60 is my heartline. And the other end of the line will drop you off at the Clignancourt flea market.