Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   comparing flamenco shows sevilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/comparing-flamenco-shows-sevilla-491926/)

lincasanova Dec 22nd, 2004 09:34 AM

comparing flamenco shows sevilla

has anyone seen at least TWO of the sevilla flamenco shows to compare them?
Are los gallos/el arenal a lot better than the less expensive "casa de memorias".

i am inviting a group out for a party, and the price difference is a lot.

kaudrey Dec 22nd, 2004 11:42 AM

Topping to help you, as I have only seen the one at Casa de la Memoria. It was intimate lovely.

Karen

canuckuphereathome Dec 22nd, 2004 12:03 PM

another vote for Casa de Memorias...although we didn't see another show, this show was all we needed. It was beautiful and small and personal.

weber6560 Dec 22nd, 2004 04:24 PM

Don't overlook the local bars that have Sevillano. It is not a show, it is real world Seville. Check it out between 1200 and 0500. Try Tamborin - about 50 yds across the plaza from El Gallo. Get there about 1130, get your wine, get in a corner, and keep your mouth shut [really don't know how to say that delicately] and enjoy!

lincasanova Dec 23rd, 2004 04:37 PM

thanks so far for the recommendations. will send the younger crowd out to tamborin.. or we may join them for an hour or so..sounds good.

and if i don't hear otherwise.. might just stick with the smaller intimate casa de la memoria.
thanks.

ninasdream Dec 23rd, 2004 06:10 PM

I have been to 2, one "show" and one local, neither of the 2 you mention. The only thing I can say for certain is that what you want to look for are the more mature female dancers. They embody a grace and passion that the young women just cannot convey. If you go to a review where all the female dancers are young, take time during your visit to seek out something else. Enjoy!

Myer Dec 24th, 2004 10:01 AM

We were in Seville in early June (2004) and chose to see Casa de Memorias.

It was a 1 hour show featuring 3 performers - 1 each musician, singer and dancer.

Excellent show and more than enough.

We didn't need a show that is elaborate and serves a drink to justify the price. Not that the longer more expensive shows aren't good as well, but what we saw was great.

Also, it was a block from our hotel. Casa de la Juderia. Also excellent.

lincasanova Dec 24th, 2004 04:30 PM

we will be at same hotel. nice to know this place is so near.

did you like the hotel? it looks great in photos.. got a wonderful rate of 50 euros/night /double (no breakfast,or tax incl).

going to be a fun 60th birthday for my husband. i got great cheap flights for entire group on vueling, charter airline, from valencia spain to sevilla for about 38 euros/RT.

thanks for the encouragement about this show. i will get in touch with them.

kalikiana Dec 24th, 2004 05:41 PM

Hi! I went to a couple shows at Casa de La Memoria, and I went to one at Los Gallos as well. Los Gallos was definitely more of a production, more dancers, seemed very rehearsed, and (maybe because I was at the earlier show?) a little less moving. La Casa was nice because again, it was more of an intimate setting (sitting in a horseshoe shape rather than an audience flat to the stage). Both were great shows, but in my opinion you wouldn't be missing out if you just went to La Casa (and your wallet will thank you).

Myer Dec 25th, 2004 04:15 AM

lincasanova,

Were you referring to Casa de la Juderia at 50E per night? Wow!!!

How did you do that? Then again, we were there the first half of June but still?

We didn't include breakfast either.

When you pull up to the hotel the taxi can't turn down the alley to the hotel. Very narrow. A porter comes running down the alley to take your luggage. You walk up the alley about 30 yards and turn into the hotel.

What a surprise!!! Interconnected palaces with gardens and fountains.

When you exit the alley there's a little square in front with several reaturants. We had breakfast outside right there.

For the Flamenco. As you exit the alley into the square, walk straight ahead with a slight angle to the right (not a sharp right). Up a narrow street (they're pretty well all narrow) about a hundred yards or so on the left side. That's it. You can ask the hotel where it is. Not hard to find.

If you'd like to see photos (I specifically included some of the entrance and hotel) go to www.travelwalks.com (my site - non-commercial).

lincasanova Dec 25th, 2004 05:14 AM

i saw it on bancotel and that is what instigated the flights, hotel, birthday destination, etc..
i had my travel agent grab 3-4 rooms at 50 euros. then went back later to try to get some more for a larger group that will probably be surprising my H there at the flamenco show.. but none left at that price!!!

i am really excited. i have been to sevilla several times, but not really done ALL the show circuit, etc.(been too tired at night!) and never really to celebrate anything. just quick touring.. then off to another city with visiting guests.

we are all really looking forward to it.

thanks for the "directions" and orientation. will take look at your photos.

chrisssy Dec 27th, 2004 02:15 PM

My husband and I attended shows at both Los Gallos and Casa de la Memoria this past September. We enjoyed both evenings.

Los Gallos is a longer show, with more dancing, by both men and women. On the evening we attended, we saw three female solo dancers, a female solo singer, and two solo male dancers. All performers were extremely talented and the dancers were accompanied by a great trio of singers and musicians.

At Casa de la Memoria we saw two solo female dancers and a male guitar solo.

The seating at Los Gallos is more comfortable, but Casa de la Memoria has an intimite, cool atmosphere.

If it were me, I'd go to Los Gallos, as I believe the show is more electrifying and you can have a drink and settle in comfortably.

dncee11 Dec 29th, 2004 08:14 AM

A plug for the Hotel Alcantra (**) which shares an entrance with the Casa de Memoria - very nice with everything you need, good AC and cont breakfast avail. The Casa de Mem show we saw was all younger people but they seemed to be serious students of their art. I have read that if there is a golden age of Flamenco, it is right now, with some really good mature performers as well as many many great students. My question is how does an artist maintain the intensity and depth of emotion we are seeking doing 2 shows a nite, time after time?