Como to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling via train from Lake Como to Lauterbrunnen (via Interlaken) then to Lausanne, and out to Paris...

1) Adding it all up from Rick Steves' book it's more expensive than if we just bought a Swisspass, plus you get half off lifts which we will use in Lauterbrunnen. Will that Swiss pass get us out to Paris from Lausanne, or do we have to use a rail system that won't honor it? Other thoughts on this trip?

2)Is it better to stay in Lauterbrunnen on the valley floor, or up in Gimmelwald? If price is a consideration?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Your SwissPass will get to the border of Switzerland and that's as far as it will get you.

Go to any rail station and tell the clerk what you are going to do. they can seel you a supplemental ticket for the French portion not covered by your pass.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM

With a Swiss Pass you may well qualify for a Passholder 2 fare on Switzerland-Paris trains, even if they leave from Geneva, right on the border. I'm not sure but if you call BETS (800-441-2387) they will surely know - the discount may not be much or it could be, i just don't know. I always recommend them for any Swiss passes and will answer any questions IME without purchasing. Swiss passes are especially a bargain now since they have not gone up in price for over a year while the Swiss franc has appreciated significantly vis-a-vis the dollar. (I suspect prices will go up Jan 1, 2008 to adjust.) Swiss passes are sold in Switzerland but currently, due perhaps to the currency strengthing of Swiss franc about 15-20% more expensive than exact same pass sold in U.S.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM

You can also go to www.voyages-sncf.com where you could nab some cheap online advance tickets at a fraction of the regular price (talking about Lausanne to Paris) that could be better than the Pass 2 (where part of the journey is covered by a railpass) fare.

But book these early as there are few seats often at those prices and they can go when they come on - 90 days in advance i believe.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM

<we just bought a Swisspass, plus you get half off lifts which we will use in Lauterbrunnen>

actually the two most popular lifts in Lauterbrunnen are covered 100% by the Swiss Pass if you use a day of 100% covered travel of course - the one from Lauterbrunnen itself to Grutschalp and then train to Murren and the lift from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald and Murren as well. These are about the only two lifts (cable cars) that have 100% coverage and all others get 50% off - seems that they are covered 100% because they link two towns (Lauterbrunnen and Murren) and thus are considered like trains - lifts that go to mountain tops like the Mannlichen from Wengen lift is 50% but train Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is covered 100%
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:34 AM

I am going to the Lauterbrunnen area for 3 days this June and I'm having a hard time deciding if I will stay in Murren or Wengen. I want to some the waterfalls (which seem to be accessed only from Lauterbrunnen...), but I also want to hike the BEST trails in the area as well as go paragliding. With that being my plans, which of the two cities would best suit me? I realize they are close together, but I want to spend as little time as possible on the trains. ANY tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:34 AM

I am going to the Lauterbrunnen area for 3 days this June and I'm having a hard time deciding if I will stay in Murren or Wengen. I want to some the waterfalls (which seem to be accessed only from Lauterbrunnen...), but I also want to hike the BEST trails in the area as well as go paragliding. With that being my plans, which of the two cities would best suit me? I realize they are close together, but I want to spend as little time as possible on the trains. ANY tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to ask this question in a new, separate thread.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 09:19 AM

If you want to spend as little time as possible on trains then by all means do not base in Murren - it takes about an hour each way at times from Lauterbrunnen, thru which you must go to reach any other place, like Wengen, just a few-minute train ride from Lauterbrunnen.

Check the Alpine Adventure Center in Interlaken about paragliding opps.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM

Alpin Center Sport Shop "Leading in Sport & Adventure" ... Alpin Center ...
www.alpincenter.ch/en/shop/wilderswil.html

The Alpin Center in Interlaken is a major organizer of paragliding and things like rafting and adventure sports like you wish to go.

Also check out Balmer's in Interlaken as they are also a major organizer of such things.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM

activities - Balmers Interlaken SwitzerlandAdventuring in the Alps could not be made easier in such a picture perfect ...
www.balmers.com/en/activities/summer.html

Balmers is very famous in Interlaken and been around a long time - very reputable.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:16 PM

I always stay in Lauterbrunnen - I love the valley floor for its beauty and convenience. I went paragliding in the valley and it was great. There is a paragliding outfitter on the main street in Lauterbrunnen - you go up to Murren, take off from there and land in the valley floor - by the cable car that connects the valley floor and Murren. I highly recommend it.
Martha
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM

Do you remember the name of the paragliding outfitter in Lauterbrunnen? I would like to contact them soon to schedule a trip. Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM

I checked my "files" that I keep from trips and found a brochure for paragliding - Jungfrau. The website address is www.paragliding-jungfrau.ch. My ticket for the paragliding in Lauterbrunnen is stamped "Airtime Action" located at 3822 Lauterbrunnen. They do a great job with the tandem flights. The views of the valley, the cliffs, waterfalls and mountains in the background are really incredible!! They take pictures all during the flight (which lasts about 20 minutes) which you can purchase, of course. Also, they take a video of the whole flight, which I never got to work when I got home, but the pictures and memories are great.
Have fun -
Martha
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Masrtha - that sounds great - just curious as to about what cost would be involved in a simple enough paraglide in Murren area?

Thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM

I will have to check that out : ) I'm also looking into hang-gliding around Interlaken. The videos I've seen look phenomenal!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I don't remember the exact cost - but it was expensive. Possibly $200 US, with photos. The paragliding in the Lauterbrunnen valley is much more picturesque than Interlaken, IMHO.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM

thanks for the info! they'd have to pay me $200 to do it but my son may be interested.