Comments on traveling to Geneva

Feb 27th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Comments on traveling to Geneva

I am planning to visit Switzerland in late March/early April. I was going to fly into Geneva and spend 5 days there. Is this too much time there? What kind of city is Geneva?
Also thought of taking a train up to Interlaken from Geneva and visiting for a couple of days--is this do-able?Comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM

A lot depends on what you like to do. There is a nice art museum in Geneva and it is possible to use the city as a base for day trips like Château Chillon, Vevey, Martigny or Roch. I haven't used public transportation so can't comment on that.

Bear in mind that if you rent a car, you'll need a little sticker for the Autoroutes. If you don't have one, you have to stay on secondary roads. The rental company should provide this because you have to purchase the sticker for a full year. The last time we did it was about $35 and I'm sure it's more now.

We enjoyed Geneva but were there in July. You might want to check the weather in March.

Switzerland is lovely. Enjoy.
Feb 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Why not consider Montreux? It's a smaller city and you can visit Geneve and Lausanne, as well as numerous smaller places around the lake and up into the hills. The train route from Montreux to Spiez is beautiful, takes about 2.5 hours with one change usually. J.
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:43 AM
rex

Okay, here is my cynical/sarcastic side...

<<What kind of city is Geneva?>>

You would buy an airplane ticket to there, without reading anything about it?

Do you order vegetables from the internet this way, chef? Send off for five pounds of salsify... and then ask what kind of vegetable IS salsify, anyway?

Anyhow, Geneva is a cosmopolitan, expensive, French-German, slightly boring, moderate-big city with a big lake and a big fountain that shoots water straight up into the sky. And a lot of places to buy watches.

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 1st, 2004, 03:36 AM
JonJon

On the one hand I am inclined to agree with Rex about buying tickets to a place and SUPPOSEDLY not knowing what to do there. But since Rex found the place boring you could also wonder why HE went there???

I'm going for the first time next month and from what I've seen in guidebooks, etc., it seems worth a day or two. I've been to Switzerland before and plan to use Geneva as a bas city for travel to nearby Lausanne and Montreux before moving on to the higher Alps region.
The train trip from Geneva, through Montreux where you would have to change, and then up to Interlaken is quite doable and has some wonderful scenery. You can get more info about that by going to www.goldenpass.com
Enjoy your trip.

Mar 1st, 2004, 04:43 AM
rex

<<since Rex found the place boring you could also wonder why HE went there???>>

"too-shay"... as they say...

Okay, here are two redeeming elements that have taken me to Geneva...

First and foremost is the airport, and the fact that you can return a French car there without a drop charge. I do love the Alps, and I love every single country that borders Switzerland (or its little joke of an appendage, Liechtenstein), so it's convenient to have this entry/departure point, close to the Alps. For what it's worth, both Basel and Strasbourg airports offer these same two-country advantages.

And one place that IS to love in Switzerland is Domaine du Chateauvieux in Satigny, just 15-20 minutes out of Geneva.
Mar 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM

This looks like a good place to post my question: I have 1 day in Geneva next week (don't ask why it's such a short stay; it's a long story) and am wondering what highlights I should hit during the day. I was there 25 years ago but all I remember was leaving the city to go hiking. This time I will not have a car. Thanks for your help. (No sarcastic comments about going somewhere that I know very little about; that's part of the fun of traveling.)