Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Comments on these London areas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/comments-on-these-london-areas-721966/)

Julie_Hurst Jul 18th, 2007 01:13 PM

Comments on these London areas?

Planning a trip to London in October. Naturally, want the best location & hotel for the best price (who doesn't!). There are 3 of us & would love a "real" bed for the 3rd person, not a cot, rollaway, or couch. Been searching the websites & found the following: (10/14--4nites--10/18).

1. Holiday Inn Kensington (not the Forum) - near Glouchester tube stop. 131.25 pounds; must repay all; no refund; 2 double beds; previously stayed here & liked the place; no breakfast included; higher than we wanted to pay.

2. Holiday Inn Express Swiss Cottage - near the Finchley Rd stop on Jubilee line (not on Finchley Central or East Finchley); 105 pounds, no cancel; 124.50 pounds cancel OK; breakfast included; 3rd bed is sofa bed; mall (groceries, eats) across the street.

I'm not adamant on HI, just happened to find 2 with good reviews. So, other than price, there are many other variables between the 2.

Anyone stayed in Swiss Cottage HI?

What do you folks think about the 2 locations? We thought HI Kensington was convenient w/tube - is Swiss Cottage HI in a convenient location for the usual tourist stops?

Of course, if anyone has other suggestions on hotels, I'd welcome them.

Thanks, Julie

WillTravel Jul 18th, 2007 01:24 PM

The Swiss Cottage area is further north than I had remembered. Try setting up some routes with the Journey Planner at www.thetube.com . Set the walking time to 60 minutes in advanced options, so you can get an idea of the walking distance. I just tried this, and it's 74 minutes walk between the Swiss Cottage location and the British Library, and it's not particularly fast by other means either.

Also set up some walking routes with Mappy.com and its Pedestrian option.

I would consider trying Hotwire. You might be lucky enough to find a good deal for 3 people, because you can enter 3 people as an option there.

If your third person is under 16, maybe an option from www.accorhotels.com would work.

WillTravel Jul 18th, 2007 01:25 PM

I've also stayed in the area of Holiday Inn Kensington, and you know how convenient it is.

alanRow Jul 18th, 2007 01:28 PM

Take the HI Kensington, that extra £7 is WELL worth it justy for the convenience of being able to hop on one Tube train and be able to get to most of Tourist London without having to change Tubes

janisj Jul 18th, 2007 01:46 PM

The Kens HI would be worth it even if it cost £50 or £60 more per night. If those are your only options go for the Kensington HI. But have you considered a flat?

Julie_Hurst Jul 18th, 2007 02:45 PM

WillTravel, thanks for those great links. Never heard of them before. Great planning devices. Our 3rd person is our 6'4" middle aged son :-)

alanRow & janisj, thanks for your info. I'm convinced; will eliminate the Swiss Cottage. Wanted the extra real bed anyway. Just liked the idea of the mall & could cancel w/o penalty in case a deal came along (like last time)!

janisj, a "flat" what? :-) I'm just kidding! We rented an apartment in Italy once. However, during this trip, we want the assistance of a front desk staff to help us around & with tourist info. Have only had 1 brief stay in London.

Thanks everyone, Julie

janisj Jul 18th, 2007 02:56 PM

The Holiday Inn will be fine - but you could check out one of the Citadines. There are 4 or 5 in London and they are a sort of hybrid between hotels and apartments. The space of a flat, the services of a hotel. My guess they would run between £125 and £150 per night w/ internet specials

jody Jul 18th, 2007 03:29 PM

Actually there is a Citadines not that far from the HI Kensington. That is my favorite area and I'm willing to pay more to stay there.