Reload this Page >

Comments on possible Loire/Bordeaux/Dordogne itinerary

Old May 7th, 2017, 02:08 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving SFO for CDG May 26, arrive 1035 on the 27th. Rent car to drive to Loire valley to stay at Le Choiseul 27-28-29. Leave on the 30th for St Emilion, Chateau Hotel Barrail for 30-31. (considered Au Logis de Remparts) Leave on the 1st for Rocamandour to stay at Hotel Les Esclargies 1-2-3.(considered Le Poet de L'Ouysse in LaCave) Leave on the 4th to stay on the outskirts of Saralat at Les Jardins du Porsche 4-5-6-7-8. Leave on the 9th TLS to London for 2 nights than home.
I do not like driving after a long flight to CDG but the rental car office in Loire at St Pierre des Corps closes at 1230 on Saturday. Considered flying or train to Bordeaux or TLS and skipping the Loire valley but than still have to drive some and it would now be 5 hours later. Also if late will miss rental car.
Considered stopping in Paris for the first night but we have been to Paris so many times that there is not much appeal to this option.
Old May 7th, 2017, 02:34 PM

I'm sort of doing something similar, only going to the Auvergne, and I don't want to rent a car the first day of arrival, either, after the long flight and how long it will take me to get to that point (Lyon or Avignon to rent the car). I never arrive on Saturday, though, so don't have those issues. But I compromised by taking the train from CDG to Lyon and then I'm just going to stay in Lyon one night and rent the car the next morning from the train station there). I've been to Lyon several times so it's not something I'm super excitied to do, but it's not going to be difficult to stay there one night as I'm arriving by train, also, and am renting from the train station.

But staying one night in Paris is more difficult if you have to get from CDG into central Paris and then what the next day, just more of a problem. I guess you are locked into renting a car at CDG? You could have just taken the train from CDG to Amboise and rented the car the next day or two, you don't have to rent it that day. Why do you have to have it that day? If you can't get the car you want in Amboise, you could take the train to St Pierre des Corps and stay the night there. I don't think there is much to do around there though, not sure how easy to get into the center for a good meal or something.

My second suggestion is similar to something I was first thinking of, renting the car after arrival but not going very far at all, just staying in some small town for that night. Why don't you do that? Get the car but just go to some nearby town for the night. How about Meaux, have you been there? Closer than Provins or some place like that. They have a super WWI museum there, and it wouldn't take you that far off your route to the Loire the next day. Or you could go to Chantilly or Senlis going north. CDG is only 27 km from Meaux and about 30 from Chantilly.

This would solve your main problems, not wanting to drive a lot after arrival.

Why don't you do something like what I'm doing, take the train from CDG somewhere and stay that night. Why are you renting from CDg and then driving? You could take the tra
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Europcar is open on Sat from 9 to 12:15, then 2PM to 5 pm
Avis is open 8 to 12:30, then 2 to 5:30

You could land at Term 1 @10:35, and take a taxi to the Paris Montparnasse station and catch the 2:46 TGV to St Pierre that arrives at 3:46. But that's cutting it tight in Paris.

Trains from either CDG or Paris with a "safe" time between CDG landing and train departure gets you to Bordeaux after the rental offices close - unless you want to take a taxi from the Bordeaux train station to the Airport - and then you still have a 1 hr drive to St Emilion.

We fly from SFO to CDG twice a year. We'll be on the same United flight you are taking on June 4. In 2015, we landed at CDG and drove to a hotel in Champagne in 2 hrs with no problems Two hrs is our max for arrival day driving. Your drive to the Loire will be about 2 3/4 hrs. I would probably drive from CDG to the Loire - and change drivers half way there if there are more than one of you.

Stu Dudley
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:27 PM

Christina
If you are arriving at CDG early, there is a 11:57 TGV to Valence - which is a lot closer to the Auvergne than Lyon or Avignon.

Also, we spent 2 weeks in the Auvergne near Aubenas last year. A friend is going there this year & I did an itinerary for her. If you would like it - e-mail me.

Stu Dudley
Old May 8th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Yes, thanks, I know but they don't have the kind of car rental I want at Valence, I've checked. And I can't make that time, anyway, my flight doesn't arrive until 10:40 am. (at least I think it would be a miracle to get that train, although it's the same train going to Lyon anyway, so I'll try). Also, there isn't much to do around Valence so I didn't want to stay there for one night versus Lyon, even if I could, which I can't. I've turned in a car at Valence before, though.

My flight is too late to get that 11:57, unfortunately but I still would not want to drive from Valence to Le Puy in the afternoon.

thanks but I'm only in the area a couple days and have some plans already. There is an Interfolk festival in Le Puy on 7/19 I am aiming for.
Old May 8th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Christina,

You could go to Clermond-Ferrand, although it requries one or two changes, depending on the departure time:

https://www.trainline.eu/trains/aero...FVorTwodLA4DiA
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:27 AM

Be prepared for massive, truly unpleasant crowds and phenomenally overpriced and underwhelming food and wine these days in St-Emilion. It used to be charming. Not any longer.

Three nights in Rocamadour is probably 2 too many unless you are combining it with some of the other relatively unknown villages in the vicinity.
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:05 AM

Here are some villages & sites in the area of Rocamadour:

Martel 25 mins away
Gouffre de Padirac 25 mins
Carennac 30 mins
St Cere 40 mins
Collonges la Rouge 40 mins
Turenne 40 mins
Meyssac 40 mins (this & above 2 are in the same area)
Autoire & Loubressac 30 mins
Chateau Castelnau 35 mins
Chateau Martel 35 mins
Grottes de Lacave 15 mins
Grotte de Presque 30 mins
St Cirq Lapopie & Pech Merle cave 1 1/4 hrs
Figeac 1 hr
Gourdon 40 mins
Curemonte 45 mins

Of course, many of the above are close to each other so they can be visited on one day-trip

We were in Carennac for 2 weeks last year & never ran out of things to do & see.

Stu Dudley
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:57 AM
mjs
Original Poster

Is there somewhere else interesting other than St Emilion to stop on the way from the Loire valley to the Dordogne?
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:06 AM

If driving, I would go straight from the Loire to the Dordogne on A20.
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Agree with Michael. We don't like to drive long distances - but we've driven between the Loire & Dordogne twice. It's a fast trip. Focus on the Dordogne area. Five nights in the Dordogne is a very short stay. We've spent 11 weeks there, and found a few new places to visit on our trip there last year. You see more A+ stuff with 2 more nights in the Dordogne than you will near St Emilion.

Stu Dudley
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:00 AM
mjs
Original Poster

Have hotels in Saralat and Rocamandour. Any other place around Dordogne for another convenient location/hotel if I cannot extend my time in my first two hotels? Chateau Mercues further south?
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:36 AM

I'll assume that budget is not an issue if you are considering Ch Mercues. We had a great dinner there in 2013 - but I would recommend that you stay a little more central to Sarlat/Dordogne River. We stay in Gites - but friends who visited us stayed here:

http://www.la-gueriniere-dordogne.com/index_en.php

It is a B&B on the "other" side of the Dordogne river (the quieter side) in Cenac at the foot of Domme. Our friends live in Germany & travel quite a bit & enjoyed this place. It is recommended in the Michelin Red Guide 2016.

Stu Dudley
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:48 PM

We much preferred St. Macaire to St. Emilion (where we stayed in Au Logis de Ramparts and wouldn't recommend it). The two towns may be perhaps 30 miles apart. Actually, we really liked the city of Bordeaux a lot; you may want to consider a visit there instead of the smaller towns.

Many times after a transatlantic flight from the US we have picked up a car and driven a couple hours.
Old May 9th, 2017, 03:36 PM

>>Many times after a transatlantic flight from the US we have picked up a car and driven a couple hours.
Because of Shuttrerfly software problems, titles & captions are often missing or truncated.

Stu Dudley
Old May 9th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Of course there are MANY things to see between the Loire Valley and the Dordogne, but I agree with the others: just drive straight through and use any extra time to add to your stay in the Dordogne.

Also agree that Bordeaux is a fabulous city to visit these days.

Rocamadour and Sarlat are the correct spellings.
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:45 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. Think I will skip St Emilion even though it is home to many of my favorite wines. Found a place to stay in downtown Sarlat instead for a few nights. Worried bit about driving out of Sarlat every day but so far can not extend my other Dordogne lodgings so I only stay at two places. Would really like a place like St Remy which is just large enough to have many things to do and a good selection of restaurants but easy to drive out.
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:19 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Found a place in Domme to stay for a few nights instead of downtown Sarlat. Now the question is, two nights in Domme and three nights in Rocamadour or three nights in Domme and two nights in Rocamadour? This is of course In addition to 4-5 nights outside of Sarlat. Lastly flying to London on June 9 and see that TLS and BOD airports both roughly two hours + from Sarlat. Flights of interest out between 1100-1300 from both airports. Best to drive to airport the night before to stay in an airport hotel or perhaps spend one night in Bordeaux?
Any thoughts on either airport?
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:42 PM

3 in Domme because it will be your base to visit the Dordogne area--the valley itself and an outing to Lascaux II.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:50 AM

Sarlat & Domme are only 20 mins apart - so 6-7 nights in the center of the Dordogne and 3 nights in Rocamadour would be my choice.

I prefer Toulouse over Bordeaux - so I would stay the last night in Toulouse center (not near the airport - quite drab).

Stu Dudley