Search

Comments on Hotel Wellenberg in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
je
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on Hotel Wellenberg in Zurich

Does anyone have experience with the Wellenberg in Zurich. It has a great location in the old town section but is it worth the extra price to stay there for several nights which we are planning for in early 2010?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Hi je,

I see from some of your other posts that you have been to Switzerland before, so I wonder if you've stayed at other hotels that you're comparing the Wellenberg to?

Anyway, that is some hotel -- with some prices!! wowee. Sorry, I can't help with a personal impression, but perhaps I can help anyway.

If it's the location that you like, maybe consider the zum Storchen or the Kindli.

If it's the hotel experience that you like, maybe consider the Hotel Sonne in the suburb of Küsnacht, where you can get a lakeview room for about 100 chf cheaper than in the city. I've stayed at the Sonne twice, and it sits right across the street from the train station. Lovely place.

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM

Wow that hotel is expensive. And from the website I can't see why. It certainly is not known as a luxury hotel.

The problem with the Neiderdorf is that it can be quite loud at night. It can be disturbing if you like to sleep with the windows open.

If you absoutely love that location, look at Hotel Adler, which is a stones throw from Wellenberg, and much less cost.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Last February I walked by this hotel with (local) friends and one of them commented she would not want to stay there. I think she disliked the location in the Niederdorf. I tend to agree with her. Sorry, but no personal experience otherwise ;-)
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to agree that I find that hotel pricey and the location not so ideal... This neighborhood can get quite loud and partyish at night.

Perhaps you are very youthful and that appeals to you.

I prefer the Hotel Opera by Bellevue and the Opera House. Very convenient, newly renovated, and quiet.

http://www.operahotel.ch/

If you want to be right in old town, I agree the Zum Storchen is a much nicer location.

Enjoy!

gruezi
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
je
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. We have stayed at the Zum Storchen before but for various reasons were looking for other nice hotels in that general area. I'm very familiar with the Bellevue area and the Hotel Opera looks like a very good choice.