Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Comments and help finalizing Amsterdam and French trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/comments-and-help-finalizing-amsterdam-and-french-trip-733729/)

stanmickey Sep 3rd, 2007 06:49 AM

Comments and help finalizing Amsterdam and French trip

Hi,
I am a new poster to this board, although I have been reading it for several years. I hope some of you can give me some feedback on my June, 2008, trip to Amsterdam, Normandy, and Alsace. My husband, sister, and I are going to find the village in Alsace where our father was captured in WWII. We arrive in Amsterdam on a Tuesday. I'm unsure where to stay. I am looking at the Ambassade. We will only be there for one night and parts of 2 days. We would like to see the Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum. Has anyone stayed at this hotel or anyone have a better recommendation? Is our plan doable in the time we have available? We will be going on to Brugge and will spend two days there before we drive to Normandy. Does anyone have any recommendations for cute hotels in Brugge?
I have booked Chateau de L'Isle for the Normandy part of our trip and we will stay three days. We will be going on to Mont St Michel, spending one night and then on to Alsace, where we have rented a two bedroom apartment in Riquewihr. What are some must-do in Alsace?
Any recommendations or feedback would be most appreciated.

ronkala Sep 3rd, 2007 12:32 PM

We are spending two weeks in an apartment in Leiden next April and May, with a three day side trip to Brugge.
Since the apartment is paid for, I didn't want to go overboard for for two nights in a hotel in Brugge. After going through the book of Brugge Logis I narrowed it down to Hotel Malleburg, www.malleburg.be ,85 euros for a double and Hotel Ensor, www.hotelensor.be , also 85 euros.

The Malleburg in near the center of town while the Ensor faces a canal. Both are ***. We selected the Ensor because it is nearer the pickup point for the Quasamado tour we are taking.

annhig Sep 3rd, 2007 01:35 PM

hi, stan,

I don't want to seem rude, but have you looked at a map?

your side-trip to Normandy is in completely the opposite direction to Alsace from amsterdam and bruges. a far better route would be via the champagne area and you would spend far less time travelling.

you could also spend longer in amsterdam, where you have hardly any time to see the sights you have mentioned.

As you have almost a year to sort this, may I urge you to think again? it's unlikely that you'll incur cancellation charges so far in advance.

i would do 3 nights amsterdam, 2 in Bruges, and 1 in reims, before you reach alsace.

regards, ann

ronkala Sep 3rd, 2007 03:32 PM

sorry, correction... the correct address is www.ensorhotel.be

stanmickey Sep 4th, 2007 03:26 AM

Thanks for the hotel recommendation in Brugge. I will check it out. Anyone know about hotels in Amsterdam?