Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Coming soon - an updated look for Fodors.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/coming-soon-an-updated-look-for-fodors-com-882113/)

Amy_D Mar 15th, 2011 01:20 PM

Coming soon - an updated look for Fodors.com

Hi everyone,

I’m excited to let you know that later this week, Fodors.com will be sporting a new look and feel. As you’ve probably heard, we’re celebrating our 75th anniversary this year. Our web team has been hard at work on an updated look for our site in honor of this significant milestone.

The crisp, new design will make it easier for you to find the information you need without affecting the site’s core functionality and should not affect or change the way you currently use the Forums. We’d love to hear your feedback, and certainly want to know if you have any problems or questions. As always, you can reach me at [email protected].

adrienne Mar 15th, 2011 01:26 PM

I remember the last changes and the many unhappy posts - put on your padding and helmet! Hope these changes go smoother. :)

Will you be increasing the speed with which the posts load? Fodors is a slow site. I'd like to see it speeded up, especially when searching.

bobthenavigator Mar 15th, 2011 01:37 PM

Cannot wait !
When will it happen?

FoFoBT Mar 15th, 2011 01:40 PM

Yes, I hope this has been thoroughly user tested so that all these new features work with all browsers, for example, and that your web team hasn't stuffed it with stuff that works great for them but NOT for the users. Did you have a focus group of experienced and newbie Fodorites try it out?

I'm not referring to your team specifically, but I've dealt with too many IT and/or web teams who, in their heart of hearts, think the company/site/organization is there to serve THEM rather than the other way around.

So I shall hope for the best but not be surprised by any snafus.

esm Mar 15th, 2011 01:47 PM

Looking forward to the updated look. An updated feel? I'm not sure about that.

humptynumpty Mar 15th, 2011 01:54 PM

Progress in the name of what?

Last time this happened there were a lot of moans. Many including me stop posting for months.

Please explain what is wrong with the current format.

Ingo Mar 15th, 2011 02:00 PM

I am NOT excited. Remembering the last change gives me nightmares.

Agree with the poster above that Fodor's is slow compared to other sites.

onetwo Mar 15th, 2011 02:17 PM

Fodors is EXTREMELY SLOW when using Internet Explorer. Google Chrome is a little better. With IE I sit there, twiddle my thumbs and can't do a thing while all those ads, flash, etc. loads. It is like deja vu and dial-up all over again. We don't want bells and whistles and other fancy stuff. Content is king!!!

StCirq Mar 15th, 2011 02:53 PM

Uh...oh.

Dayenu Mar 15th, 2011 03:15 PM

StCirq: more like oy-vey :D

scotlib Mar 15th, 2011 04:05 PM

<i>The crisp, new design...</i>

Humph, trite description.

Re: design .. I'll wait for my own opinion.

franco Mar 15th, 2011 04:11 PM

Not sure whether I ought to be thrilled. I promise I will be if the many inconveniences of the current design (that I never learned to love) are to be corrected. If it goes the way the last relaunch went, however...

CaptCanuck Mar 15th, 2011 04:11 PM

Can't we just wait to see what it looks like first? :)

Thanks for the heads up Amy...looking forward to seeing what you all have come up with!

cheers,
CC

cynthia_booker Mar 15th, 2011 05:33 PM

Computer-wise, I am not very sophiscated. I hope I can still get around here.

ggreen Mar 15th, 2011 06:09 PM

Ooh, can't wait! Change is always invigorating. :)

sobster Mar 15th, 2011 06:30 PM

Ono! iHavnt getgot ovr the lAST "uPdayt yet

sheila Mar 16th, 2011 01:54 AM

Miserable gits you all are!

Amy, thanks for this. I look forward to seeing it.

cathies Mar 16th, 2011 03:03 AM

Poor Amy, you are in for a rough time if the contributors don't like it, fingers cross that it is fabulous!! :)

Alec Mar 16th, 2011 03:56 AM

Hope we get an edit function, with all those typos!

bobthenavigator Mar 16th, 2011 04:21 AM

will the prices increase too?