Reload this Page >

Comfortable hotels in Rome, Florence, Venice under Lit 150,000

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Eva

I will be travelling to these cities from August 23-29, 1999 Does anyone have any good first hand recommendations? I won't be spending much time in them so I don't need all the bells & whistles but do prefer at least a bathroom <BR> <BR>PS I love these forums I've been reading them for awhile but this is my first time posting.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 09:43 AM
Beth

Hi Eva, <BR> <BR>welcome to the forum! Have you done a search for entries on this topic? If you do a text search, such as "Rome hotel" you will find dozens of recommendations that have been given in the past couple months. <BR> <BR>I'm not trying to discourage posting your question. Its just some people will hesitate to repeat themselves if they've already given a recommendation in the last few weeks. <BR> <BR>--beth

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Eva

thanks Beth, I have done searches but most hotels are out of my price range. I have however after reading the lenghty thread on dissapointed people that I will need to skip Rome and my day trip to Pisa and concentrate on Florence and Venice for the entire week. I just want everything to be perfect and it's so hard to decide on anything

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 12:20 PM
cheryl

You have definitely made the right choice to do only 2 cities in one week. Even so, you are going to feel you could have spent much more time in them. I haven't stayed there, but several people have mentioned Hotel al Gambero in Venice, and it's not too expensive. I couldn't get a reservations, as they were already booked when I am travelling. Maybe if you tell us your budget, someone will have more suggestions. Good luck.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 12:21 PM
cheryl

Oops, I didn't see your title. I still think the Gambero may qualify.

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 07:02 AM
Paulo

Venice is an expensive city. Unless you find some hidden pension that I don't know, I guess that the cheapest double room with bath and breakfast is the Giardinetto (depending on how many nights you're staying it should cost from Lit 100k to Lit 110k. Possible drawbacks: you're in the island of Lido (approx. average 20min waiting+travel time to San Marco) and most of the clientele should be in the twenties. The hotel location is very convenient, right accross the vaporetto stop. Reservation may be done on line, using one of these addresses (note that advertised rates are different): <BR>http://geathotels.hypermart.net/geathot1.html <BR>http://italyhotel.com/venezia/giardi...ardinetto.html <BR> <BR>Other 1-star hotels in Venice that might be considered are: <BR> <BR> a) Hotel Riva (Ponte dell'Angelo #5310, tel +39 041 522 7034, fax 522 8555) Romantically situated along the gondola serenade route canal, 200mts from San Marco, it has 19 bright modern rooms decorated in Venetian style. It should be noted that 2 of the rooms in the 4th floor have a nice view but have only adjacent showers. The hotel has gone through recent works and that may have increased its rates Reconfirm reservations! Recommended by Rick Steves. Directions: It's behind San Marco where the canals Rio di San Zulian and Rio del Mondo Nouvo hit Rio Canonica o Palazzo. Possible drawback: the hotel doesn't accept CCs for securing reservation. <BR> <BR>b) Hotel Caneva (Ramo della Fava, 5515 - tel +39 041 522 8118; fax +39 041 520 8676). This lays between San Marco and Rialto, on next to the Chiesa Maria della Fava. Most of its 23 big, bright and clean rooms overlook the Rio della Fava canal. One of the best values in Venice in its price range of Lit 140,000 for a double with bath and breakfast in high season. Directions: From the Rialto vaporetto stop and the Grand Canal on your back, walk straight on Calle Larga Mazzini, taking a left on the second street (via 2 Aprile) and a right as soon as you can (on Calle Stagneri detta della Fava), crossing the bridge. <BR> <BR>c) Locanda Casa Petrarca (Calle degli Schiavini, 4386 - telefax +39 041 520 0430). Very small and cozy pension (7 rooms), 200mts off San Marco square. Tiled floor rooms are big (for Venice standards) and clean. There's no breakfast room but it can be arranged to be served in the room. Manager/owner Nelli speaks English. Reserve well in advance and be sure to reconfirm a couple of days before you get there. High season rates for a double with bath should run Lit 135,000/115,000 with/without breakfast. Pension recommended by Rick Steves. Best call in the mornings or evenings to catch Nelli in the pension. Directions: With your back to St. Mark's basilica, take last right off the square. Follow the canal and cross the bridge, turning left at the Bonvecchiati sign, and left again under the Sottoportego. From the San Marco Vallaresso vaporetto stop, walk straight on Calle Vallaresso, Frezzeria and Calle delle Colonne, to reach the Bonchevatti sign. <BR> <BR>d) Albergo Doni (Calle del Vin #4656, tel/fax +39 041 522 4267); 12 dim, but large, classy and airy rooms in a rather "dark", clean, hardwood, quiet building. Recommended by Rick Steves. Directions: It's two bridges behind San Marco, or walk east along the San Marco waterfront (Riva Degli Schiavoni), over two bridges, take the first left (Calle del Vin), and follow the signs. <BR> <BR>e) Hotel Minerva & Nettuno (Lista di Spagna, 230 - tel +39 041 715 968; fax +39 041 524 2139); Simple hotel, with pretty and spacious rooms (a rarity in Venice). Breakfast can be taken in the small breakfast area or in your room at no extra cost. The owners of this hotel own a restaurant in the interesting Jewish Ghetto Nuovo area which is a short walk from the hotel and are therefore able to offer clients the opportunity of half board at a reasonable supplement. There are 32 rooms with and without en-suite facilities. High season rates for a double with bath and breakfast should run about Lit 135,000. Directions: 5 min walking from the train Station, on he left side of Lista di Spagna, part of a very the very popular thoroughfare that connects the train station to Rialto. <BR> <BR>f) Albergo Casa Peron (Salizzada S Pantalon, 85 - tel. +39 041 710 021; fax +39 041 711 038); This hotel is in a calm neighborhood, midway between Piazzale Roma and Canal Grande from which the boat will proceed into the lagoon behind the islands of Giudecca and San Giorgio Maggiore. The hotel is managed by Scarpa's family who live in their hotel and is dedicated to every detail. There are 11 rooms, most of which with baths. The rooms are sunny and bright. Atmosphere is friendly and familiar. Rates in high season for a double with bath and breakfast should run about Lit 135,000. Directions: From San Toma vaporetto stop, take Calle del Traghetto and turn the first left, on Calle Campaniel; right after the bridge make a right on Fondamenta della Frescada, following left on Calle Marconi and taking the first right on Crosera; continue straight ahead (Calle dei Preti, Calle Vinanti and Salizzada San Pantalon). <BR> <BR>You may try to contact these hotels/pensions directly. A few of them <BR>might be bookable using http://www.veniceinfo.it/ (1-star hotels). <BR> <BR> Now, which one? Difficult to say! Personally, I only know the Giardinetto (actually I've stayed in the **Reiter - same group - and visited the Giardinetto), the Caneva and the Minerva & Nettuno. If the prices are indeed within the budget, I would undoubtely stay in the Caneva. I might have been at the Casa Peron but that was some 20 years ago and I wouldn't bet on it (the address seems right, though). In any <BR>event, the Caneva was superior in all aspects. The other places I mention (including Casa Peron) I got from a friend's list. Casa Petrarca, Riva and Doni are recommended by Rick Steves if that's of any good! Unfortunately, my friend ended up staying elswhere. He <BR>visited the Riva though, and told me he would have liked to stay there. I've also seen a few positive indications in r.t.e. NG. That's the only reason I'm listing it first. Eventually, both the, the Riva and Caneva are a toss up, so price would actually decide the matter. I have no way to rate the Petrarca and Doni against the Caneva ... at most, it's an educated guess &lt;g&gt;. I've seen some positive comments on the Petrarca. Not much about the Doni other than it's listed by Rick Steves. IMO, the Minerva & Nettuno is handy and could be a good choice on occasions. I don't know why my friend listed the Casa Peron ... I kind of like the location, though, quite away from Venice's turmoil. <BR> <BR>Pau

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 07:06 AM
Paulo

Venice is an expensive city. Unless you find some hidden pension that I don't know, I guess that the cheapest double room with bath and breakfast is the Giardinetto (depending on how many nights you're staying it should cost from Lit 100k to Lit 110k. Possible drawbacks: you're in the island of Lido (approx. average 20min waiting+travel time to San Marco) and most of the clientele should be in the twenties. The hotel location is very convenient, right accross the vaporetto stop. Reservation may be done on line, using one of these addresses (note that advertised rates are different): <BR>http://geathotels.hypermart.net/geathot1.html <BR>http://italyhotel.com/venezia/giardi...ardinetto.html <BR> <BR>Other 1-star hotels in Venice that might be considered are: <BR> <BR> a) Hotel Riva (Ponte dell'Angelo #5310, tel +39 041 522 7034, fax 522 8555) Romantically situated along the gondola serenade route canal, 200mts from San Marco, it has 19 bright modern rooms decorated in Venetian style. It should be noted that 2 of the rooms in the 4th floor have a nice view but have only adjacent showers. The hotel has gone through recent works and that may have increased its rates Reconfirm reservations! Recommended by Rick Steves. Directions: It's behind San Marco where the canals Rio di San Zulian and Rio del Mondo Nouvo hit Rio Canonica o Palazzo. Possible drawback: the hotel doesn't accept CCs for securing reservation. <BR> <BR>b) Hotel Caneva (Ramo della Fava, 5515 - tel +39 041 522 8118; fax +39 041 520 8676). This lays between San Marco and Rialto, on next to the Chiesa Maria della Fava. Most of its 23 big, bright and clean rooms overlook the Rio della Fava canal. One of the best values in Venice in its price range of Lit 140,000 for a double with bath and breakfast in high season. Directions: From the Rialto vaporetto stop and the Grand Canal on your back, walk straight on Calle Larga Mazzini, taking a left on the second street (via 2 Aprile) and a right as soon as you can (on Calle Stagneri detta della Fava), crossing the bridge. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Ed

You'll find several for Rome at http://twenj.com/romehtlothrs.htm and <BR>http://twenj.com/romehelloitaly.htm <BR> <BR>Suggest you take a look at a copy of Hello Italy where you'll find lots of hotels <BR>throughout Italy under and around your target number. <BR> <BR>Ed