Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Colosseum underground tour - Walks of Italy worth the $$? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/colosseum-underground-tour-walks-of-italy-worth-the-1090702/)

BuffaloGirl Mar 22nd, 2016 03:20 PM

Colosseum underground tour - Walks of Italy worth the $$?

I marked my calendar to make reservations for this. Alas, they are already booked for our dates on the official website (coopculture.it). I'm disappointed. I've seen the colosseum, but before the underground was open to the public. Everyone in my group wanted to see it.

There is an option to book with Walks of Italy (at about $100 pp) for the Colosseum, including the underground tour, and the forum. I'm not crazy about tours, and it's more than I would like to spend; however, I would do so if worth it.

Please tell me if you've done the underground tour and if it's worth the extra money. Of course, we can just book tix for the Colosseum/Forum without the underground access and just look down and get an idea.

Thank you!

KodakMoment Mar 22nd, 2016 04:07 PM

Just a buncha rocks, really. As interesting as Stonehenge.

BuffaloGirl Mar 22nd, 2016 04:12 PM

Ha! I guess that's one way to look at it, Kodakmoment!

DebitNM Mar 22nd, 2016 05:00 PM

It was interesting (the water ways for when they had naval games and how they got th animals and gladiators up to arena) but not worth $100 pp to me.

indyhiker Mar 22nd, 2016 05:04 PM

We did a night tour of the Colosseum and Underground last year with Walks of Italy. I feel bad saying this because their tours are otherwise well reviewed but we did not enjoy it. We had to use headsets and we struggled to hear and understand the guide. They were very when we gave them feedback (and I do appreciate that), but the fact remains that it was not a highlight of our trip. We did, however, really enjoy the food tour we took with Eating Itaty if that at all interests you. We did the Testaccio tour.

BuffaloGirl Mar 22nd, 2016 05:48 PM

Thanks, DebitNM and indyhiker. I really wish I could have obtained the less expensive tickets through the official website. I really want to see the underground section, but $100 (for an optional tour) vs. around $20 through the official website makes me think we should just skip it and go with the general admission.

greg Mar 22nd, 2016 07:32 PM

Which days are you looking at?

The site is somewhat temperamental and sometimes you don't see the available time slots. I can think of other alternatives.

Do all of you need to go all at the same time?
Can you take a non-English tour? It is the English tour that gets booked up quickly. Spanish and Italian tours are usually more available.

I have been to Colosseum four times, once underground through the official site. I have learned more about how the Colosseum operated from the underground tour guide. From the top, the infrastructure facilities supporting the operation are not visible from the top. I didn't know they existed until I took the tour.

DebitNM Mar 23rd, 2016 04:46 AM

Maybe watch a youtube or 2 about the underground so you understand how it worked and what it looked like, so that when you are up above, you have a good working knowledge of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3FKR-acIw

there are lots more,

annhig Mar 23rd, 2016 04:53 AM

I have been to Colosseum four times, once underground through the official site. I have learned more about how the Colosseum operated from the underground tour guide. From the top, the infrastructure facilities supporting the operation are not visible from the top. I didn't know they existed until I took the tour.>>

the last time we went [with ordinary tickets] up on the second floor near the bookshop there was a model of the whole colosseum from top to bottom which showed very clearly the workings of the underground area.

don't know if it's still there though.

LoriNY1 Mar 23rd, 2016 05:14 AM

We did a tour with Walks of Italy last fall; the Colosseum, Palatine Hill and the Forum. it was a 3 hour walking tour. Our guide was more interested in telling stories that got real old after a while, rather than the history which was what I was after. it was long, and we ended up leaving once we reached the Forum. I think with tours it all depends on your guide. as for the Forum, I think you can do your own tour now, each 'ruin' had a sign on it describing what it was etc. they never used to have that before, I guess that's why they charge now.

DebitNM Mar 23rd, 2016 05:31 AM

We used Rick Steves audio tour for the Forum [and several others]. It was quite good. I know lots of people don't care for him, but we found most of his audio tours to be informative and helpful.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...io-tours/italy

annhig Mar 23rd, 2016 06:02 AM

as for the Forum, I think you can do your own tour now, each 'ruin' had a sign on it describing what it was etc. they never used to have that before, I guess that's why they charge now.>>

I think that must be relatively new, Lori. When we went a few years ago, [about 2012 I believe] they had just started charging for the Forum but the signage was just as bad as it had been 2 or 3 years before that, when it had been free.

I'm glad that they have recognised that it was difficult to appreciate what you are seeing there - or in my case, impossible!

BuffaloGirl Mar 23rd, 2016 09:11 AM

I guess we will skip the "Walks of Italy" tour and save the money for something else. (I like your idea about watching a video beforehand, DebitNM).

I did find the official website to be a bit temperamental, Greg. And I did actually try to book an Italian or Spanish tour (although we'd have no idea what the guide was saying). I figured it was one way to see the underground.

Thanks for the input everyone! So excited!

AJPeabody Mar 23rd, 2016 03:46 PM

Interesting insights. I wonder how the different European countries will act once the shock of this latest attack is absorbed.

AJPeabody Mar 23rd, 2016 03:54 PM

OOPSY. Posted on wrong tab!

BuffaloGirl Mar 23rd, 2016 04:00 PM

Well, I'm going to throw out one more question (addressed by Greg above). There are now openings on the official website for underground and 3rd level tours in the Italian and Spanish tours. We won't understand a thing, but we can at least see those areas not included in the regular admission (which wouldn't include a tour anyhow).

I'm thinking that then we can follow the group to the Forum and then just go off on our own.

Thanks for letting me bounce all these thought off of you!

kybourbon Mar 23rd, 2016 04:20 PM

>>>Alas, they are already booked for our dates on the official website (coopculture.it).<<<

Sign up for the tour in the language you understand the most. You have some time to work on your Italian.

You could also try calling. Sometimes you get better results booking things in Italy by calling and might find an English tour available after all. What are your dates?

BuffaloGirl Mar 23rd, 2016 06:51 PM

kyboubon - we arrive on the morning of May 26th, leaving Rome on May 29th. I will take your advice and call. And if we end up taking a tour in Italian vs. English, it's OK. Even if it means we don't understand but get to see the underground and 3rd ring tour. It adds to the adventure.

For various reasons, there isn't time for us to learn enough Italian.

Thanks for your input - greatly appreciated.

greg Mar 23rd, 2016 07:50 PM

I see slots on those days but only one at a time. Pity, there are a lot of openings on May 30th.

BuffaloGirl Mar 24th, 2016 07:17 AM

greg - I think I'll take your advice and grab tix for the Italian tour. We won't understand the guide, but we will get to see the underground. I'll also take Deb's advice to go on Youtube and watch a video about the underground beforehand. Thank you!