Search

Greece and France Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece and France Itinerary

Hello Fodorites,

I am very excited to be planning an first-time visit to Greece and France this summer.
I will be flying from the US to Santorini, and since it's nearly a 24 hour trip, scheduled an additional nite.
Day 1-2: Fly US to Santorini
5 nites Santorini
3 nites Mykonos
2 nites Athens
6 nites in Paris

Questions:
Should I consider an extra day in Athens and drop 1 nite in Santorini, as 2 nites in Athens really boils down to 1 day?
How many days in Santorini is adequate, plan to fly in and ferry out to Mykonos- 2 hr ride?
Any recs on great hotels in Mykonos? I would like to stay near Mykonos city.
In Paris, what are the must do's for a first time visitor?
Many Thanks!!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM

I would definitely take one night from santorini and add it to Athens, there is enough to see in Athens to fill two days.

And as to 'must do's for a first timer to Paris, you must already have some ideas of what you want to see or you wouldn't think it's a good place to go. You will get better responses if you come back to us with a list of things you want to see and we can help you to put them into a plan so that you don't waste time doubling back and forth.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM

I actually think 2 nights in Athens is perfect, but I would do it at the beginning of the trip, then head to the islands to relax. Athens is very noisy and chaotic (not necessarily in a bad way), and I like to do it first so I don't undo all of my island relaxing. If you plan your time, perhaps hiring a guide, then you can see the highlights in a full day. If you are really interested in delving deeper then more time is probably needed, but for me 2 nights and one full day is enough to see the major sights and soak up some atmosphere in the Plaka. I think the rest of your schedule sounds good, too. I could spend 2 weeks on Santorini!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cathies,

Sounds like u might know a thing or 2 about Paris, pls tell me all about it! I must confess, I do not, and haven't had much time to look into this, as I have been tackling the Greek islands. My thoughts are to see a fun highlight (I would especially like getting an overview of the city layout)and party in the Marias at night. On my list in no particular order is to tour the Louvre Museum, d'Orsay, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Seine Cruise, and a day trip to Palace of Versailles. Any thoughts or recs?
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM

The only way I would do Athens first is if you can get a direct flight from Santorini to Paris. Otherwise you are correct to save Athens for last. I agree with Cathies that you should drop a night from Santorini and add it to Athens. In one day you could see a few major sites, but would only be scratching the surface of things to do in Athens, which is much more than just the Acropolis and Plaka. If you want to try something unique, take the food tour offered by http://www.athens-walks.com/#!athens-food-tour. You will also want to see the Acropolis Museum, the National Archaeological Museum, and others if you have the time. Personally I'm not very fond of Plaka, which is crowded with tourists.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:18 PM

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/f...hborhoods.html

This will help, it's from the Fodor's website.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:48 AM

I would agree with Heidmall and others.

Catch the opportunity to add one more day to Greek capital and try to do something unique as the Athens Food Tour or Athens Sailing. Give time at Athens Walks sight needs about 7-8 second to load.
Far from the endless list of museums and sights Athens offers great opportunity for tours and excursions as it is the cultural and economic center of Greece.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM

I also agree with adding one more night in Athens.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM

Athens has a lot to offer, it is not just the Acropolis and the Plaka !!
For more ideas of what to do in Athens and for insider tips here is a new website that was launched in Greece and became international :
The Athens Daily Secret = every day you will get a proposal of what to do in Athens, far beyond the touristy stuff

http://greece.dailysecret.com/athens/en#.UOwo6ipXvkE

The link will take you to the english version
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Fodorites for all your replies!!
Yes, Athens is locked in for a visit after the islands as I purchased a flight from ATH to CDG and left the islands open. Any thoughts on whether I should fly from Mykonos to ATH or cruise from Mykonos to Athens?
Also, is it doable to do a day trip from Santorini to Crete on a high-speed ferry?
Many Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Hi!
I would not recommend a day trip from Crete.
If you check timetables of fast ferry here
http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/
you see that actually you have 4 hours on the island.
This is very limited time, it doesn't worth the money. It would be much better to spend 2 days on the island than visiting an island Santorini or Mykonos for one day. Flight from Mykonos to Athens is 25 minutes, ferry is about 7 hours the slow, 4 hours the fast. If you find a good price ticket (average price of one way is 60 euros) do it with plane, otherwise with ferries.
Planes are always the best way in Greece to gain time and comfort but domestic flights are not that cheap.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 11:57 AM

You can't do a day trip from Santorini to Crete — it's that simple. Ferries between the two islands are based at Heraklion, starting their daily runs from there and returning to Crete in the evening. So the best you could do is arrive on Crete in the evening, spend the night in Heraklion, and return to Santorini early the next morning, allowing you no time to see anything.

Whether it is better to fly or ferry from Mykonos to Athens is hard to say. The ferry journey takes longer, but is cheaper, and you don't have to go through check-in or wait for baggage at the end. Just hand over your ticket as you board, stow your luggage on the car deck, and retrieve it as the ferry is preparing to dock. If you take to ferry to Piraeus (as opposed to Rafina) it is only 20 minutes by metro to central Athens. There is some nice scenery from the ferry as it goes past the islands and up the Attica coast.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM

The replies above are right - you can't visit Crete for a day trip. Waste of time and money. The regular ferry is a nice way to get a sense of the sea and distances and sometimes a view of other ports on the way. The fast ferry or plane is preferred if your schedule is tight, but as Heimdall said you must factor in the transit and waiting at airport.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Hello!
Personally I think that visiting Mykonos it is a petty not to visit Delos island which is one of the most interesting and important archeological sites in Greece (note:Closed on Mondays). But a good part of a day will be taken on that one, so with 3 nights/2 full days on Mykonos, you will be able explore Delos+ Mykonos Town + maybe pay a quick visit to one of the beaches there... Not sure this is enough...
May I ask what is your aim to get on Mykonos? On my opinion I would either add one more night either skip it all together. I agree Athens deserves some more nights too, so I would keep less destinations enjoying more in depth. Of course this is just my views, everyone travels differently...
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!
To date, the schedule is looking like 5 nights in Santorini, (I am flying from US, arriving in Santorini in the evening, so really the first 1- 2 nights are shot), 3 nights in Mykonos - where I am mostly interested in soaking up rays and and relaxing, 2 nights in Athens, and 6 nights in Paris. What do you all think?
Please feel free to chime in on activities, I will try a day trip to Delos, but looks like a day trip from Santorini to Crete is out. I am thinking of staying in Oia instead of Fira in Santorini- how hard would it be to get back to Oia at night from Fira- I do not want to drive while on island.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Along with the others above, I would definitely drop a day from Santorini and add it to Athens. Santorini is a very relaxing place. There's not a lot to see (but what there is is fantastic) and not too many activities. 4 nights is 3 full days which should be plenty to recover from jetlag and do whatever you want. Especially since you're going to relax more on Mykonos.

Be sure to check the ferry schedule and take into consideration the length of the trip.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM

the one day trip to Crete definitely it is not worth the money and the time as you will not have time to see the island,
we also suggest to cut 1 day from Santorini, if the relaxing is most important for you then added to Myconos, or if you want to see the archaeological sites then added to Athens
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 02:22 AM

I am not sure that there is a one day cruise from Santorini to Crete, to my knowledge there is one from Crete to Santorini
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 02:31 AM

Clausar is correct. The catamarans between Crete and Santorini are all based at Heraklion, leaving there in the morning and returning in the evening. Therefore it is possible to do a one day trip to Santorini from Crete but not vice-versa.