Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Colonge Dom - Is visit on Sunday morning possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at my plans for my trip leaving in 5 days and I have us visiting the Koln Dom on a Sunday morning. The official website says no visits during mass. The schedule basically has mass every day of the week in the morning and longer on Sundays.

I really want to visit the cathedral and I don't think I can fit it in the night before. I have other plans in the afternoon. Is it like other duomos we visited where mass can be in one area and you can still see the rest of it? If not, do they allow visits between mass times, if there is a gap?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:02 AM

This from the cathedral website:

Opening hours:
Monday - Sunday 6.00 - 19.30 hours
You are not allowed to go on a sight seeing tour in Cologne Cathedral during mass.

But it doesn't say when masses are but typically a few each morning that probably don't last more than half an hour? Very few Germans i think go to church any more so perhaps only one mass?

Guided tours Media supply
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Willkommen im Hohen Dom zu KölnOpening hours:. Monday - Sunday. 6.00 - 19.30 hours. You are not allowed to go on a sight seeing tour in Cologne Cathedral during mass. ...
www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=2&L=1
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Who out there has visited the cathedral in the morning???

Does anybody have some first hand experience that masses only last 30 minutes??

There is a schedule of masses on the site on another page on the official site. Basically if I went by the site, you could get the impression that you cannot visit before noon.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM

>>Basically if I went by the site, you could get the impression that you cannot visit before noon.<<

That is very probably the case. In Italian churches, admission for sightseeing purposes on Sunday is most often listed simply as "after 12:00".

Masses can and do last more than 30 minutes. There is generally one High Mass on Sunday, which can last up to 1 hour 30 minutes.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I went during mass and i was able to stand in the back and take pictures. I did get thrown out for using my tripod!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I don't know how long masses last - too long for me i know but like Lostmymind says i've never seen a church totally closed and closed for visiting means milling around - you will be able to get in and see the thing from the back at least.
Having a mass going on to me is a plus as it makes the church come alive, with music, etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Cologne Dom has Sunday Morning Mass at 7, 8, 9, 10 (High with choir), 12 noon (with sermon). Also as I remember it they have stewards (dressed in red) who man the doors and only let people in for service. You may be allowed to stand at the back and stand, but you won't be allowed to move about. In this respect they are more like English cathedrals. The earliest time for sightseeing is around 1 pm.
If I were you, I would go to one of the early Masses (before 10 am), stay for the service (around 30 min) and look around very briefly afterwards.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Question for lostmymind and/or PalQ: Were you able to go up the tower? And if you did was it worth it?

I also don't mind the mass going on, I just didn't know I would be even able to get in. I am relieved that I don't have to change my itinerary so close to departure.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM

I always climb the church towers, for the view over town and the scene from Cologne Cathedrals towers, one of the highest in Europe, is great - over the Rhine river far below - river oft filled with commercial and tourist boats - neat view but not a must. I think the web site said the tower was open on Sun at 10am??
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I didnt go up the stairs so i cant comment on that but I must say it is amazing at night. I arrived around ten at night via the train, you walk out the doors of the station and you see this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostmym...7594056667517/

It took my breath away.