Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cologne to Boppard - Germany Rhineland Cheap Transportation

Old Aug 4th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi ,
We are 3 adults (2+1 Senior Citizen) arriving at Cologne Airport on 9th Aug 2017, 10.30 AM.
We will be relying on public transport all through our itinerary .
Our base is Boppard (Hbf) , staying in Hotel close to station.
Wanted to know what would be the best travel pass/individual tickets for our itinerary
9th Aug : Travel fromCologne airport to Boppard , reach hotel and spend the day in Boppard or nearby locations.
10th Aug : Visit Cochem , and spend the day there, return Boppard
11th Aug : Go for the KD cruise Bingen to St Goar
12th Aug : Leave for Heilderberg , and spend next 2 days in Heidelberg and visit nearby places.
14th Aug : Leave Heildelberg for Cologne and spend some time in city, from there to Airport for flight back at 9.00 PM.
Could you help in providing which tickets will be suitable for the above itinerary ?
Can we get a day pass VRS group pass for travel from cologne airport to Bonn, and then use the VRM 3 day pass for the group for the first 3 days?
Can we for our travel on Saturday from Boppard to Heildelberg use the Weekend Group pass? And then a local group pass in Heidelberg for the 13th Aug.
Which ticket will be most suitable for our travel from Heidelberg to Cologne on Monday 14th Aug?
Is it true that there is an additional surcharge for purchasing tickets at the train station from the ticket window?
Also where can I buy the tickets for each of the passes, can all the passes be bought at the Cologne airport?
i.e. VRS and VRM passes?
Thanks again
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 02:53 PM

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/...-tickets.shtml

Just check www.bahn.de for any answer to your pass queries

https://community.ricksteves.com/tra...one-day-passes

Which ticket will be most suitable for our travel from Heidelberg to Cologne on Monday 14th Aug?
Is it true that there is an additional surcharge for purchasing tickets at the train station from the ticket window?>

Yes buying tickets at train stations day of travel will be full fare- no real surcharge though it may cost a euro or two more over booking your own online or at ticket machines.

www.bahn.de/en - check discounted fares for your group -if no passes apply then these will be the cheapest possible - check now and book as fares will only go up - see what is available.

For lots on German trains check www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets in Germany); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Hi, you have already done a lot of homework.

>Which ticket will be most suitable for our travel from Heidelberg to Cologne on Monday 14th Aug?

If you use any of those special tickets you are restricted to regional trains. While obviously this is not a problem on days where you want to stay in the same region (I am thinking of Bingen to St Goar, where you might want the boat one way, the train the other), it might be a problem when going between different regions. So from Heidelberg to Cologne you could potentially use a Quer-durchs-Land Ticket (day ticket) on regional trains, but you are actually travelling a long way and this is not the fastest option. You can just choose regional trains as your option when plugging in the details. But if you don't want to waste your day travelling (or have to make a flight and want to be there promptly), you will probably have to change to an IC (intercity) or an EC (EuroCity) at some point in the journey because of the distance. Plug your journey into www.bahn.com for disclosure of which types of trains are used on each of your journeys. RB = RegionalBahn (regional train), RE (regional express), S = S-Bahn (local train), ICE (intercity express).

Lavandula
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 06:35 AM

You're too late for 29 euro tickets on ICEs that take about 1.5 hours but I saw today 29 euro Heidelberg-Cologne for you date tickets on slightly slower direct IC trains - but if going that route book ASAP- regional trains are fine but much slower, not as comfy and you may have to change.

If it were me I'd book those 29 euro tickets now and make a seat reservation (optional) at the same time as those trains can be very full, especially in 2nd class.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM

Between Cologne <--> Bonn, I used the VRS Day Pass Level 4:
https://www.vrsinfo.de/englisch/tick...riffs/short-te rm-tickets/dayticket-5-people.html
Fussgaenger helped me with that in May. I am not sure if starting from Cologne airport is still level 4. Hope Fussgaenger may help you. Or you may ask at the ticket counter when you purchase this day pass.

Between Boppard <--> Cochem, use the regional day pass for the federal state of "Rhineland-Palatinate", 29Euro for 2-5 people.

On August 11, Boppard --> Bingen and then St. Goar --> Boppard, you may use the "Rhineland-Palatinate" regional day pass too.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM

Correction: The above VRS day pass link should be:
https://www.vrsinfo.de/englisch/tick...-5-people.html

I purchased my VRS day pass from a ticket counter at Cologne train station, because that was easier than figuring out how to buy it from a machine.

However, I purchased the "Rhineland-Palatinate" day pass using a Red/Blue/Gray ticket machine at Boppard's train station platform, which accepted my BofA credit card without asking for a pin. There were also older white/yellow ticket machine which asked for a pin but then rejected my credit card. So look for the Red/Blue/Gray ticket machine to buy your train tickets or day passes.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 09:38 AM

Oops, sorry,

The price for "Rhineland-Palatinate" day pass in 2nd class is EUR 24, plus EUR 5 per extra passenger (max. 4). Therefore, for 3 people it will be EUR 34, not 29.