Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cologne...how long will it takes to see all the best sights outside of train station?

Cologne...how long will it takes to see all the best sights outside of train station?

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!!

We will be taking a train to Cologne from Paris. We will stop there about noon time...long enough to see catherdral and whatever is there to see before hopping on another train toward Remscheid (an hour ride).

My questions are: What sights are not to be missed?

How far and how long to enjoy Cologne by foot before we go back?

I dont want to look for 15 mintutes or even an hour before dashing off. I would like to enjoy an afternoon there by foot.

I need to figure how many hours to while away before leaving again so I can choose the right time train leave. Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

In case, no one knows...Cologne is in Germany. Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hi.

I just got back from a long day in Cologne and really recommend it. There is loads to see. Definitely do the Cathedral, but there are several close by museums ... Ludwig, Roman-German and Wallraf. Check out advice on fodors and frommers for other sites. I made it to lots of churches, and of course the cathedral. Wallraf was open until 8 the day I was there, which gave me extra time to sightsee earlier, but I really loved that museum.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Joe!

Sounds lovely!

How long is a good time to enjoy before heading back to train station?

Will one hour be too short or 3 hours too long?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:38 AM

Lori -

I've never been to Cologne, so I can't comment there, however....

When ever I stop to do a quick exploration of a town enroute to another destination, I always allow a <b>minimum</b> of 3 hours. If you are travelling with luggage, you have to factor in the time it will take you to find the lockers and deal with stashing your bags (10-15 minutes each, depending on how large and crowded the station is). So there is 1/2 hour lost already.

Before I leave on my journey, I go to the German Rail website and print off the itinerary for my travel, which gives me several options. So, if I plan for 3 hours layover in a city, and find myself really enjoying myself, I can pull out my rail schedule and see there is another train in 1/2 hour. The rail website is:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It looks like there is a train leaving about every 1/2 hour from Cologne to Remscheid, so you have lots of flexibility. Unless, of course, someone needs to meet you at your destination, so you need a precise time when you're arriving......

Have a wonderful time in Cologne. I can't wait until we travel there some day. Peace.

Robyn &gt;-

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:19 AM

Hi Lori
Cologne is a very nice place with lots to do. I would stick my luggage in the luggage machine at the train station.(this is a machine that works like a locker, only it takes your larger luggage and places it into a holding cell under the floor) Then I would walk to the Dom
(catherdral) which is right next door. You can't miss it, just look up when you exit the station. Then I would go to the ALTSTADT. Grab a few beers (Koelsch) and some food. You can eat outside in many of the brewhouses. Fruh, Peters, Dom, Gaffel are all brewhouses in the area. The waiters are not rude, they just have a slight attitude which is part of the show. It is all a put on but the food is great. Then I would go shopping at the outdoor shopping malls which consists of two long streets. If shopping is not your thing, walk down hill from the Altstadt and see the Rhine River.
If you have time go accross the green bridge to the other side of the river. We ate at the Beirgarten in front of the Hyatt Hotel. The view of the city is wonderful. I made this my screen saver. That should be about three hours. If you still have time walk to the Chocolate Museum.
Let us know how you liked it when you return.
Have fun, Gunther
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:40 AM

This should help...
http://www.gettingaway.com/directory...ities/walk.htm
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Robin:

Thanks for the time advice &amp; train schudule plans. We'll do this!

Gunther: Thanks for detailed description of the town outside. I can hardly wait! WooHoo!

Just hope the weather is springlike in mid april? Should I wear heavy coat?
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:38 AM

&quot;In case, no one knows...Cologne is in Germany&quot;

If someone doesn't know that Cologne is in Germany, s/he has definitely never been there, and so you wouldn't want him/her to reply to your post !
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:11 AM

Lori.

What to wear???

Layers! April can be warm, but it can also rain for two weeks. At any rate the Brewhouses have inside seating. Check out the WCs They are high tech and my wife actually took pictures in the stalls. ( now that I have written this it does sound a little strange) Cross your fingers, or &quot;Druck die daumen&quot; as the Germans do, Squeeze your thumbs for luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Lori, I spent about 10 hours sightseeing that day, so 3 will definitely not be too long!