Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cologne Hotel suggestion please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cologne-hotel-suggestion-please-471919/)

mmyk72 Sep 3rd, 2004 09:43 AM

Cologne Hotel suggestion please

I've seen suggestions for hotels in Cologne (close to the train station), but they are all more than 100 euros, that't much too costly for my budget.

Does anyone know of lodging below 70 euros for a double room.

I only plan on being there one night to catch a flight in the morning. I don't need anything fancy, 2* hostels/pensions are fine as long as it is clean and close to the train station area.

Has anyone been to such lodging in Cologne?
Thanks for your help in advance.

BTilke Sep 3rd, 2004 10:26 AM

The Ibis at the train station frequently has specials with rooms under 100 euro. Have you checked the Accor web site? It's actually in the train station, you can't get closer than that.

USNR Sep 3rd, 2004 03:18 PM

My records show I stayed at Hotel Europa am Dom -- a good bet if the Ibis is full. Very near the station and the cathedral, quiet, clean, not very big. Perhaps now they have a web site?

Travelnut Sep 3rd, 2004 04:02 PM

We stayed at the Central am Dom last October - 2-3 blocks from the train station, and around the corner from the Dom. Internet shop across from the Dom.
Great buffet breakfast...

<> www.hotels.de
Hotel Central am Dom 79E

<> www.bookings.org
Hotel Callas am Dom 65-70E
Hoher Strasse 137

Hotel Amsterdam 69-75E
Ursulastrasse 4-8

111op Sep 21st, 2004 01:40 PM

Travelnut, if you're reading this, can you explain how hotels.de works please?

I looked up "Central am Dom," and four rates are given. The relevant double rates are

"Bestprice Rates:
Average Price Per Room/Day: 60,00E
Rate Description: Internet best price
Room Description: Double Room - Best
price
Catering: breakfast included"

and

"Average Price Per Room/Day: 85,00E

Rate Description: Special rate
hotel.de
Room Description: Double Room -
Special rate
Catering: breakfast included"

Do you know why one is 25 Euros more than the other?

Thanks.

Travelnut Sep 21st, 2004 02:14 PM

I don't know about that... I booked thru the Comfort Hotels site but I can't find the same hotel on that site now. and my rate was 105E for a twin in 2003.

But I've seen rate 'tiers' like that before, sort of like AAA/AARP, Corporate, etc. Maybe you have to prepay the cheaper one to get that rate.

TopMan Sep 21st, 2004 02:17 PM

It means BOTH rates are available..take the one that suits you best.

111op Sep 21st, 2004 02:23 PM

Well obviously I'm going to take the 60 Euros rate if that's available -- just wondering if there's a catch somewhere.

Thanks very much!

111op Sep 25th, 2004 12:20 PM

Hi, I just reserved a room at "Central am Dom," but I was surprised the confirmation came through without my having to put in my credit card number. Does this sound right?

Thanks.

Travelnut Sep 25th, 2004 05:43 PM

You could call and ask if they need your c.c.# for that confirmation - someone at the desk will speak English (if you need them to do so).

111op Sep 28th, 2004 03:12 AM

Thanks Travelnut. I called the hotel directly this morning and they found the reservation. I didn't bother giving my cc number.

When I booked my hotel in Ruedesheim yesterday, the woman also didn't take my cc number.

Maybe it's the German way of doing business. Of course I intend to honor my reservations.

Also, so far my hotels in Germany are much cheaper than I've booked for Lisbon and Seville (about half price). I'm surprised by that, but maybe I'm too late for the bargains in the other two cities.

Travelnut Sep 28th, 2004 04:49 AM

Have a good time!