Cologne - Gay/Lesbian Capital of Germany - Gay Games

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently saw a promo for 20% off German Rail Twin Pass prices to honor the Cologne Gay Games - and i thought it rather weird that such an event would provoke the German Railways (or whoever is offering it in reality) to offer a special pass just for this event (but the offer is open to anyone traveling anywhere in Germany on German Passes between July 24 and Aug 23, 2010 - 20% off regular prices of (only) a 5-day German Twin Pass - Twin meaning two people traveling together at all times on the train.

But anyway then my mind was perked by the Gay Games and how i was in Amsterdam once when something like that was on there - and it transformed the city in so so many ways - ways that may repulse some folks i guess - like the open displays of affection and street parties.

So if it is not your cup of tea avoid Cologne during the Games but if you like me you enjoy taking in such festive events - even if not gay - the you may want to drop by during the Games!

Gay Cologne | VIII. Gay Games Cologne 2010
It comes as no surprise therefore that Cologne is the gay and lesbian capital of Germany. Women walking hand in hand or men kissing in the street do not ...
www.games-cologne.de/en/cologne/gay-cologne

Gay Games Cologne 2010
2 min - Jun 5, 2006
Uploaded by the17thman
www.youtube.com
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM

>and it transformed the city in so so many ways - ways that may repulse some folks i guess - like the open displays of affection and street parties.<

I fully understand what you are saying Pal but I'm amazed that anyone these days could be repulsed by that. With so many bad things happening in this world of ours these days, open displays of affection between gay guys and girls, never mind street parties(!) are all part of a wonderful diversity we all should appreciate.

joe
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

joe4212 - you would be amazed then by some folks where i live who talk about seeing such things and being disgusted - i lament that not everyone is open minded and willing to let others lead their lives as they want.

I have a gal friend - not girlfriend but one who is very open-minded and liberal in all ways but one - gay/lesbians and she is repulsed when she sees hand holding, etc - i scoriate her for her stance but she is not the only one - anyway i echo your sentiments exactly and do think in Germany at least there are less homophobic folk like my friend (who indeed IMO may be harboring some latent lesbian feelings)
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Well, Frankfurt just had it's Christopher Street Day parade today, and downtown was packed with people who came to watch and to party. It seems like a good time was had by all, as it was sort of a mini-Love Parade. The party started yesterday and runs through tomorrow. Pretty much everyone I saw had a smile on their face and this includes all the senior citizens sitting in their cafes along the route.

I think Germany is simply very relaxed in its attitudes and thinking.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:53 AM

We all hope that people who are repulsed by such things are just staying home under their rocks. I'm repulsed by them.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Well said, zeppole.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Don't get too carried away.

My wife's sister plays on a lesbian softball team that wanted to go to Koeln for the games. My wife and I were to come and watch, and to spend time with her sister. Too many of the team mates (including the sister) could not come up with the cash. The plan fell through.

All that said, I was raised at a time in which homosexual behavior was generally and falsely understood to only be an aberrant sex act. Much light has been brought to this subject. Still, there are many folks that do not live under rocks that can not escape their early and earnest feelings against homosexuality. It is easy and unhelpful to this discussion (and most others) to dismiss folks with whom we disagree. I think time and fewer negative comments in both directions will allow everyone have a more equal place in western culture.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM

gay games, is it not a discrimination? Under EU rules?
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Gary

I too was raised at a time and in a town where homosexual behaviour was generally and falsely understood to be a lot more than you describe! A place where it was the norm to torment, bully and sometimes attack any child, teenager or adult who was considered gay. It was almost those moral guardians' occupations usually after a drink or two.

Perhaps I wrongly thought (hoped?) that folk's ideas and, indeed, predjudices had changed over the many years that have passed. You indicate that may not be the case by writing that there are still many who cannot escape 'their early and earnest feelings against homosexuality'.

They need to try Gary, they surely do.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

joe - bullying in schools is still rife with shouts 'you are so gay' etc. Sad to say but adolescents still are bigots when it comes to this - any kid who comes out whilst still in high school is in for a hard time - unless in a handful of cities or places that are truly advanced in acceptance thoughts.

And the Catholic Church and other churches, thru official sanctioned discrimination are just accomplices in encouraging this bigoted outlook.